Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

Vinay A S
Hello,

We have installed Apache Tomcat version 4.1.30 on our iSeries server.
Recently we have upgraded the OS400 Operating System from Version 7.1 to
7.3 where Java 7 and Java 8 are introduced. After this upgrade, Tomcat is
giving an HTTP status 500 exception report.

We explored the Tomcat portal and found that we are running Tomcat on a
lower version and that needs to be upgraded. But we are unable to find the
exact procedure to install Tomcat on iSeries server.

There is a subsystem TOMCAT running on the system with Job QP0ZSPWT being
Active.

Please advise on the version of TOMCAT that needs to be installed on the
system as well the procedure to install it.

Regards,

Vinay A S

Re: Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

André Warnier (tomcat)
On 07.09.2017 16:21, Vinay A S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have installed Apache Tomcat version 4.1.30 on our iSeries server.

I don't even know what to tell you. Some of the people on this list may not even have been
born yet, when that version was released.

(Ok, I am pushing it a bit; it was 2004, 13 years ago; so they may have been born, but
still in primary school)

> Recently we have upgraded the OS400 Operating System from Version 7.1 to
> 7.3 where Java 7 and Java 8 are introduced. After this upgrade, Tomcat is
> giving an HTTP status 500 exception report.

I don't know if anyone here will be able to help, with such an old version of Tomcat. But
in any case, an error 500 should be reflected in the tomcat logfiles.
Just in case, please view the logfile at the time of that error, and copy and paste the
relevant part here. (Do not send it as attachment, really copy and paste it in your email)

> We explored the Tomcat portal and found that we are running Tomcat on a
> lower version and that needs to be upgraded.

No kidding..

  But we are unable to find the
> exact procedure to install Tomcat on iSeries server.
>
> There is a subsystem TOMCAT running on the system with Job QP0ZSPWT being
> Active.
>
> Please advise on the version of TOMCAT that needs to be installed on the
> system as well the procedure to install it.

I believe that this is a question that you should ask to your system support people (or
IBM). This list here focuses on tomcat, as per http://tomcat.apache.org.
The current version is 8.5, which requires at least a Java 7 JVM.

Tomcat per se is Java code, and will run on any platform that has an appropriate JVM
available.
Installing Tomcat on any platform however, is more the resort of the package managers of
the corresponding platforms/OS'es.

First find out which version of Java is available/installed on your platform.
Then consult this page : http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html
to determine which version of Tomcat is appropriate (the higher, the better)

Once you have done this, there are further instructions in each version's documentation,
that outline the installation. For example, for tomcat 8.5, here :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/setup.html

The above concerns the tomcat which you would download from tomcat.apache.org.
But in all likelihood, there are special pre-packaged tomcat versions available for your
specific platform, which might simplify this.
But this, you need to ask your sysadmins.

Note that there are not really "tomcat upgrade" procedures for upgrading your tomcat 4.1
to 8.5.  You will need to install the new tomcat (preferably somewhere else than the old
one), and then move your applications one by one from the old to the new.
If you are reasonably lucky, they might still work unchanged.
But do not move the old tomcat settings, to the new one. That will not work, and will
create a mess. Find out what you might need to change in the new standard settings, and do
it there (after making a backup).

Re: Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

Greg Huber
Java 1.4 should still be available, check your software resources and 5761-JV1
options and the environment variable JAVA_HOME.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzaha/rzahainstalljdk.htm

On 7 September 2017 at 15:56, André Warnier (tomcat) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> tomcat.apache.org.
> But in all likelihood, there are special pre-packaged tomcat versions
> available for your specific platform, which might simplify this.
> But this, you need to ask your sysadmins.
>
> Note that there are not really "tomcat upgrade" procedures for upgrading
> your tomcat 4.1 to 8.5.  You will need to install the new tomcat
> (preferably somewhere else than the old one), and then move your
> applications one by one from the old to the new.
> If you are reasonably lucky, they might still work unchanged.
> But do not move the old tomcat settings, to the new one. That will not
> work, and will create a mess. Find out what you might need to change in the
> new standard settings, and do it there (after making a backup).

Re: Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

Hi,

Below error messages are recorded in the log txt files. Please find the
details.

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:32 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port
8180
Starting service
Tomcat-Standalone

Apache
Tomcat/4.1.30

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:33 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 21 column 19: Document root element "web-app",
must match DOCTYPE root "null".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "web-app", must match
DOCTYPE root "null".
 at
org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown
Source)
 at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(Unknown
Source)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.rootElementSpecified(Unknown
Source)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.handleStartElement(Unknown
Source)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.startElement(Unknown
Source)
 at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
 at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$ContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown
Source)
 at
Source)
 at
Source)
at
Source)
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)

at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationConfig(ContextConfig.java:282)

at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:639)

at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:243)

at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:166)

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:33 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 21 column 19: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:41 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 190 column 11: The content of element type
"web-app" must match
"(icon?,display-name?,description?,distributable?,context-param*,filter*,filter-mapping*,listener*,servlet*,servlet-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mapping*,welcome-file-list?,error-page*,taglib*,resource-env-ref*,resource-ref*,security-constraint*,login-config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-ref*,ejb-local-ref*)".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The content of element type "web-app" must
match
"(icon?,display-name?,description?,distributable?,context-param*,filter*,filter-mapping*,listener*,servlet*,servlet-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mapping*,welcome-file-list?,error-pagge*,taglib*,resource-env-ref*,resource-ref*,security-constraint*,login-config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-ref*,ejb-local-ref*)".
 at
org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.handleEndElement(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endElement(Unknown
Source)
WebappClassLoader:
validateJarFile(/Jakarta/webapps/TINFO/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-api-2.3.jar) -
jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class:
javax/servlet/Servlet.class
Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 21 column 19: Document root element "web-app",
must match DOCTYPE root
"null".

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 21 column 19: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.
 at
org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown
Source)

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 6 column 19: Document root element "taglib",
must match DOCTYPE root "null".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "taglib", must match
DOCTYPE root "null".

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 6 column 19: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 6 column 19: Document root element "taglib",
must match DOCTYPE root "null".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "taglib", must match
DOCTYPE root "null".

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 6 column 19: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 6 column 17: Document root element "taglib",
must match DOCTYPE root "null".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "taglib", must match
DOCTYPE root "null".

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 6 column 17: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document is invalid: no grammar
found.

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 7 column 19: Document root element "taglib",
must match DOCTYPE root "null".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "taglib", must match
DOCTYPE root "null".

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:49 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 7 column 19: Document is invalid: no grammar
[...]

Aug 23, 2017 9:36:50 AM org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
<init>
INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.struts.util.LocalStrings',
returnNull=true
Aug 23, 2017 9:36:50 AM org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
<init>
INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.struts.action.ActionResources',
returnNull=true
Aug 23, 2017 9:36:51 AM org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
<init>
INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationResources',
returnNull=true

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Greg Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > tomcat.apache.org.
> > But in all likelihood, there are special pre-packaged tomcat versions
> > available for your specific platform, which might simplify this.
> > But this, you need to ask your sysadmins.
> >
> > Note that there are not really "tomcat upgrade" procedures for upgrading
> > your tomcat 4.1 to 8.5.  You will need to install the new tomcat
> > (preferably somewhere else than the old one), and then move your
> > applications one by one from the old to the new.
> > If you are reasonably lucky, they might still work unchanged.
> > But do not move the old tomcat settings, to the new one. That will not
> > work, and will create a mess. Find out what you might need to change in
> the
> > new standard settings, and do it there (after making a backup).

Re: Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

Do you know where the JAVA_HOME points to?  Maybe it has switched to a
later java version in the upgrade.

From memory (it's been a while)

If you do wrkenvvar (F4) and select *SYS and scroll for the JAVA_HOME.

or STRQSH  and run java -version will also display the version.

On 8 September 2017 at 14:25, Vinay A S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > But in all likelihood, there are special pre-packaged tomcat versions
> > > available for your specific platform, which might simplify this.
> > > But this, you need to ask your sysadmins.
> > >
> > > Note that there are not really "tomcat upgrade" procedures for
> upgrading
> > > your tomcat 4.1 to 8.5.  You will need to install the new tomcat
> > > (preferably somewhere else than the old one), and then move your
> > > applications one by one from the old to the new.
> > > If you are reasonably lucky, they might still work unchanged.
> > > But do not move the old tomcat settings, to the new one. That will not
> > > work, and will create a mess. Find out what you might need to change in
> > the
> > > new standard settings, and do it there (after making a backup).

Re: Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

When we run java -version in QSH, we got the below results.

java
-version

java version
"1.7.0"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pap6470sr10fp5-20170421_01(SR10
FP5))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.6, JRE 1.7.0 OS/400 ppc64-64 Compressed References
jvmap6470sr10fp5-20170421_01_cr (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM -
R26_Java726_SR10_20170407_0035_B343227

JIT  -
r11_20170407_343227

GC   -
R26_Java726_SR10_20170407_0035_B343227_CMPRSS

J9CL -
20170407_343227)

JCL - 20170420_01 based on Oracle
jdk7u141-b11

$

And JAVA_HOME is pointing to '/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk70/64bit'

I hope it is pointing to right data.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Greg Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_71/
> > > rzaha/rzahainstalljdk.htm

> server.

> may

> have

> Tomcat
> > > is

> > > version
> > > tomcat
> > copy
> really

> on

> > > being

> > the

> > version's
> > > 8.5,

> > upgrading
> not
> in
> > > the

Re: Apache Tomcat 4.1.30 - not working with OS400 after upgrading the OS to V7R3 which uses Java 7/Java 8

Think 1.7.0 this is the wrong version for tomcat 4.  It is failing on a
missing dtd, possibly a symptom of switching to a later JDK.  If you still
have an older version of java installed, you could try and modify the
controlling CL program and replace the environment variable JAVA_HOME to
the older JDK home.

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(JAVA_HOME)
VALUE('/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/..jdk4../')  REPLACE(*YES)

See:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/cl/addenvvar.htm

I set these to variables to level(*JOB), but the docks suggest use
replace(*yes).

(If you work with the job, you can find cl program name/library and from
the program you can find the source of the cl program.)

If you do not have a v1.4, I guess you will have to bump the tomcat version.

Cheers Greg.