Are we able to deploy the same WAR to Tomcat 9 and 10?

Are we able to deploy the same WAR to Tomcat 9 and 10?

Johan Compagner
Hi,

I already now get the first support request that our application doesn't
run under Tomcat 10.

So just want to get straight how this is going to work in the future.

i see there is a migration tool, but that is for now quite useless for us
because we also need to support Tomcat 9 or 8..

We are a tool/framework vendor we don't control what our users do, they can
still be on what ever servlet container they are on. (we only require the
websocket implementation so that makes certain stuff the minimum)

Is there or will there be a way that we can drop in a jar that is just a
"redirect/wrapper"?

And then I don't care too much about if it goes from javax.servlet to
jakarta.servlet or the other way around.. I just want to support both
deployments. That our customers can dump in the generated war by our
tooling in any tomcat version (8,9 or 10) and it just works.

Johan Compagner
Servoy

Re: Are we able to deploy the same WAR to Tomcat 9 and 10?

Mark Thomas-2
On 05/02/2021 14:45, Johan Compagner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I already now get the first support request that our application doesn't
> run under Tomcat 10.
>
> So just want to get straight how this is going to work in the future.
>
> i see there is a migration tool, but that is for now quite useless for us
> because we also need to support Tomcat 9 or 8..
>
> We are a tool/framework vendor we don't control what our users do, they can
> still be on what ever servlet container they are on. (we only require the
> websocket implementation so that makes certain stuff the minimum)
>
> Is there or will there be a way that we can drop in a jar that is just a
> "redirect/wrapper"?

At the moment, no.

> And then I don't care too much about if it goes from javax.servlet to
> jakarta.servlet or the other way around.. I just want to support both
> deployments. That our customers can dump in the generated war by our
> tooling in any tomcat version (8,9 or 10) and it just works.

There has been talk of integrating the migration tool into Tomcat 10 so
if you drop in a Java EE 8 app it automagically converts it to Jakarta
EE 9 before starting it.

I'm guessing you'd prefer this to having to provide separate Java EE and
Jakarta EE versions (even if all you had to do to create the Jakarta EE
version was run it through the migration tool).

On a related topic, it would be helpful to know if the migration tool
successfully converts your app.

Re: Are we able to deploy the same WAR to Tomcat 9 and 10?

remm
On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 4:03 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/02/2021 14:45, Johan Compagner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I already now get the first support request that our application doesn't
> > run under Tomcat 10.
> >
> > So just want to get straight how this is going to work in the future.
> >
> > i see there is a migration tool, but that is for now quite useless for us
> > because we also need to support Tomcat 9 or 8..
> >
> > We are a tool/framework vendor we don't control what our users do, they
> can
> > still be on what ever servlet container they are on. (we only require the
> > websocket implementation so that makes certain stuff the minimum)
> >
> > Is there or will there be a way that we can drop in a jar that is just a
> > "redirect/wrapper"?
>
> At the moment, no.
>
> > And then I don't care too much about if it goes from javax.servlet to
> > jakarta.servlet or the other way around.. I just want to support both
> > deployments. That our customers can dump in the generated war by our
> > tooling in any tomcat version (8,9 or 10) and it just works.
>
> There has been talk of integrating the migration tool into Tomcat 10 so
> if you drop in a Java EE 8 app it automagically converts it to Jakarta
> EE 9 before starting it.

Yes, I was thinking about having a "ee8appBase" attribute on the host
(defaults to ee8webapps, or something). Then any artefact placed in that
folder gets processed (by the HostConfig) to the regular "appBase" using
the migration tool with a direct API call, equivalent to using the CLI.
Then it gets deployed as before from "appBase".

The lack of interest about this was quite impressive ;) And it's rather
gimmicky of course, it simply adds a possible deployment failure and
inefficiency, when the user should instead process the artifact ahead of
time.

> I'm guessing you'd prefer this to having to provide separate Java EE and
> Jakarta EE versions (even if all you had to do to create the Jakarta EE
> version was run it through the migration tool).

I'm a bit skeptical that it will be possible to avoid having native Jakarta
versions forever.

> On a related topic, it would be helpful to know if the migration tool
> successfully converts your app.

+1

Rémy

Re: Are we able to deploy the same WAR to Tomcat 9 and 10?

Johan Compagner

> > And then I don't care too much about if it goes from javax.servlet to
> > jakarta.servlet or the other way around.. I just want to support both
> > deployments. That our customers can dump in the generated war by our
> > tooling in any tomcat version (8,9 or 10) and it just works.
>
> There has been talk of integrating the migration tool into Tomcat 10 so
> if you drop in a Java EE 8 app it automagically converts it to Jakarta
> EE 9 before starting it.
>
> I'm guessing you'd prefer this to having to provide separate Java EE and
> Jakarta EE versions (even if all you had to do to create the Jakarta EE
> version was run it through the migration tool).
>
> On a related topic, it would be helpful to know if the migration tool
> successfully converts your app.

yes i have been reading it up, so our customers could just use the
migration app if they really want the WAR (that our tool generates) to
deploy on 10
We don't use many fancy things like very "new" servlet or jsp things its
quite basic servlets and filters + websocket stuff that also run fine under
tomcat 8..

But i will do some test how that migration tool work.

for me building it from maven is fine, but most of our customers  dont code
java or use mvn so are there plans to really make releases of it? so you
can just download the shaded jar?

Johan Compagner
Servoy

On 05/02/2021 15:40, Johan Compagner wrote:

>>> And then I don't care too much about if it goes from javax.servlet to
>>> jakarta.servlet or the other way around.. I just want to support both
>>> deployments. That our customers can dump in the generated war by our
>>> tooling in any tomcat version (8,9 or 10) and it just works.
>>
>> There has been talk of integrating the migration tool into Tomcat 10 so
>> if you drop in a Java EE 8 app it automagically converts it to Jakarta
>> EE 9 before starting it.
>>
>> I'm guessing you'd prefer this to having to provide separate Java EE and
>> Jakarta EE versions (even if all you had to do to create the Jakarta EE
>> version was run it through the migration tool).
>>
>> On a related topic, it would be helpful to know if the migration tool
>> successfully converts your app.
>>

> yes i have been reading it up, so our customers could just use the
> migration app if they really want the WAR (that our tool generates) to
> deploy on 10
> We don't use many fancy things like very "new" servlet or jsp things its
> quite basic servlets and filters + websocket stuff that also run fine under
> tomcat 8..
>
> But i will do some test how that migration tool work.
>
> for me building it from maven is fine, but most of our customers  dont code
> java or use mvn so are there plans to really make releases of it? so you
> can just download the shaded jar?

https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/jakartaee-migration/

It has been formally released. Just not announced - mainly because it
needs a a bunch of website updates like the creation of the download
page. I'll see if I can make some progress on that.

Re: Are we able to deploy the same WAR to Tomcat 9 and 10?

Johan Compagner

> > for me building it from maven is fine, but most of our customers  dont
> code
> > java or use mvn so are there plans to really make releases of it? so you
> > can just download the shaded jar?
>
> https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/jakartaee-migration/
>
> It has been formally released. Just not announced - mainly because it
> needs a a bunch of website updates like the creation of the download
> page. I'll see if I can make some progress on that.

ah because i was just looking at github i was just checking:

Releases · apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration (github.com)
<https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration/releases>
<https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration/releases>;)

We did a first small test and the tool seem to work

--
Johan Compagner
Servoy