Quantcast

Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

12

Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
I don't know the first thing about compiling on Linux.  I just want to drop a compiled mod_jk.so into the modules directory.  Where can I find the binary, not the source?  Thanks!

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

André Warnier
Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2 wrote:
> I don't know the first thing about compiling on Linux.  I just want to drop a compiled mod_jk.so into the modules directory.  Where can I find the binary, not the source?  Thanks!

What "kind" of Linux ?

explanation: most Linux "distributions" (RedHat, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu,..) have what is
called a "software package manager" utility, which is a special tool to install software
on the system.  It will usually get the desired binary modules, already compiled and
configured, from some repository (often on the web), and install it for you.
It is the easiest and quickest way of installing software on Linux systems.

For example, if your system is a Debian or Ubuntu Linux, the following command would
download and install mod_jk :

apt-get install libapache2-mod-jk

RE: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
Thanks for the reply, André.

It is Red Hat Linux.

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2 wrote:
> I don't know the first thing about compiling on Linux.  I just want to drop a compiled mod_jk.so into the modules directory.  Where can I find the binary, not the source?  Thanks!

What "kind" of Linux ?

explanation: most Linux "distributions" (RedHat, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu,..) have what is
called a "software package manager" utility, which is a special tool to install software
on the system.  It will usually get the desired binary modules, already compiled and
configured, from some repository (often on the web), and install it for you.
It is the easiest and quickest way of installing software on Linux systems.

For example, if your system is a Debian or Ubuntu Linux, the following command would
download and install mod_jk :

apt-get install libapache2-mod-jk

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leon Kolchinsky-3
For God's sake,

Go to http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi and download the
source code:

# tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src.tar.gz

Read docs/webserver_howto/apache.html or native/BUILDING.txt for options.

# cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src/native/
# which apxs
# ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility
# make
# make install

Cheers,
Leon Kolchinsky

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 05:03, Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, André.
>
> It is Red Hat Linux.

Leon,

On 7/12/2011 7:42 PM, Leon Kolchinsky wrote:

> Go to http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi and download
> the source code:
>
> # tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src.tar.gz
>
> Read docs/webserver_howto/apache.html or native/BUILDING.txt for
> options.
>
> # cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src/native/ # which apxs # ./configure
> --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility # make # make
> install

All that as root? Hmm.

Also, not everyone has a C compiler, especially on a production machine.
(The answer, of course, is to build somewhere else and upload.)

Jonathan, I understand that you want convenience, but there are several
factors to consider, here:

1. Unless you download a binary from a trusted source (i.e. not anyone
   on this list, but something like something.apache.org, or from your
   distro's package manager), you should consider yourself compromised.

2. If you build your own mod_jk, you know it will work with your exact
   environment. No weird problems with slight version mismatches between
   httpd version or other libraries. No questions about which
   architecture's files you need to download, etc.

3. Building mod_jk from source is relatively trivial. See above. Most
   Linux distros some with a C compiler by default, and all of them
   can trivially install gcc.

Consider trying it.

Recently, the Tomcat team decided to stop providing binaries for *NIX
platforms because of the above (maybe that was just for tcnative, but I
wouldn't be surprised if the policy is now to avoid rolling binaries for
any non-Java components).

Why? Because if we wanted to provide binaries for, say, mod_jk, we need
to support (at least) two architectures: x86 and x86_64. Also, there are
4 major versions of Apache httpd: 1.3, 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4. Sometimes,
even httpd patch level can affect compatibility (though it really
shouldn't) or maybe it was built against 2.2.11 but the user has 2.2.13
and wants to know "why no binary?".

We cannot possibly provide enough binaries to make everyone happy. Since
it's so easy to build mod_jk, we ask users in *NIX environments to just
do it.

We do provide binaries for both 32- and 64-bit Microsoft Windows
environments for Apache httpd, Microsoft IIS and (wtf?) Netscape,
because those folks rarely have compilers handy.

If you have any trouble building mod_jk, please don't hesitate to come
back for help.

RE: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
Thanks, Chris.  Unfortunately, I don't have root access, and I know just enough Linux to be dangerous!  LOL!  The Linux S.A. doesn't know anything about compiling (don't get me started on THAT), so he was asking if there were a binary module to drop into the modules folder.  I was hoping to avoid having to learn how to do his job FOR him.  :-D

JL

On 7/12/2011 7:42 PM, Leon Kolchinsky wrote:

> Go to http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi and download
> the source code:
>
> # tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src.tar.gz
>
> Read docs/webserver_howto/apache.html or native/BUILDING.txt for
> options.
>
> # cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src/native/ # which apxs # ./configure
> --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility # make # make
> install
All that as root? Hmm.

Also, not everyone has a C compiler, especially on a production machine.
(The answer, of course, is to build somewhere else and upload.)

Jonathan, I understand that you want convenience, but there are several
factors to consider, here:

1. Unless you download a binary from a trusted source (i.e. not anyone
   on this list, but something like something.apache.org, or from your
   distro's package manager), you should consider yourself compromised.

2. If you build your own mod_jk, you know it will work with your exact
   environment. No weird problems with slight version mismatches between
   httpd version or other libraries. No questions about which
   architecture's files you need to download, etc.

3. Building mod_jk from source is relatively trivial. See above. Most
   Linux distros some with a C compiler by default, and all of them
   can trivially install gcc.

Consider trying it.

Recently, the Tomcat team decided to stop providing binaries for *NIX
platforms because of the above (maybe that was just for tcnative, but I
wouldn't be surprised if the policy is now to avoid rolling binaries for
any non-Java components).

Why? Because if we wanted to provide binaries for, say, mod_jk, we need
to support (at least) two architectures: x86 and x86_64. Also, there are
4 major versions of Apache httpd: 1.3, 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4. Sometimes,
even httpd patch level can affect compatibility (though it really
shouldn't) or maybe it was built against 2.2.11 but the user has 2.2.13
and wants to know "why no binary?".

We cannot possibly provide enough binaries to make everyone happy. Since
it's so easy to build mod_jk, we ask users in *NIX environments to just
do it.

We do provide binaries for both 32- and 64-bit Microsoft Windows
environments for Apache httpd, Microsoft IIS and (wtf?) Netscape,
because those folks rarely have compilers handy.

If you have any trouble building mod_jk, please don't hesitate to come
back for help.

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

RE: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
Chris, something DID just dawn on me...

I have my own account on that Linux server, though not with root access or anything.  Would it be possible for me to compile mod_jk.so into my own space and then tell him where the mod_jk.so is?  If so, would the following steps be how I would generate mod_jk.so (and forgive the "newbie"ness of the question, please)?

tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src.tar.gz

cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src/native/ # which apxs

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility

make

make install

At this point, I think all I want to do is produce a functioning mod_jk.so and let him put it into the modules directory.  Would this do it?

Thanks again!

JL

On 7/12/2011 7:42 PM, Leon Kolchinsky wrote:

> Go to http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi and download
> the source code:
>
> # tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src.tar.gz
>
> Read docs/webserver_howto/apache.html or native/BUILDING.txt for
> options.
>
> # cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src/native/ # which apxs # ./configure
> --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility # make # make
> install
All that as root? Hmm.

Also, not everyone has a C compiler, especially on a production machine.
(The answer, of course, is to build somewhere else and upload.)

Jonathan, I understand that you want convenience, but there are several
factors to consider, here:

1. Unless you download a binary from a trusted source (i.e. not anyone
   on this list, but something like something.apache.org, or from your
   distro's package manager), you should consider yourself compromised.

2. If you build your own mod_jk, you know it will work with your exact
   environment. No weird problems with slight version mismatches between
   httpd version or other libraries. No questions about which
   architecture's files you need to download, etc.

3. Building mod_jk from source is relatively trivial. See above. Most
   Linux distros some with a C compiler by default, and all of them
   can trivially install gcc.

Consider trying it.

Recently, the Tomcat team decided to stop providing binaries for *NIX
platforms because of the above (maybe that was just for tcnative, but I
wouldn't be surprised if the policy is now to avoid rolling binaries for
any non-Java components).

Why? Because if we wanted to provide binaries for, say, mod_jk, we need
to support (at least) two architectures: x86 and x86_64. Also, there are
4 major versions of Apache httpd: 1.3, 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4. Sometimes,
even httpd patch level can affect compatibility (though it really
shouldn't) or maybe it was built against 2.2.11 but the user has 2.2.13
and wants to know "why no binary?".

We cannot possibly provide enough binaries to make everyone happy. Since
it's so easy to build mod_jk, we ask users in *NIX environments to just
do it.

We do provide binaries for both 32- and 64-bit Microsoft Windows
environments for Apache httpd, Microsoft IIS and (wtf?) Netscape,
because those folks rarely have compilers handy.

If you have any trouble building mod_jk, please don't hesitate to come
back for help.

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Mark Eggers-2
> I have my own account on that Linux server, though not with root access or
> anything.  Would it be possible for me to compile mod_jk.so into my own space
> and then tell him where the mod_jk.so is?  If so, would the following steps be
> how I would generate mod_jk.so (and forgive the "newbie"ness of the
> question, please)?
>
> tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src.tar.gz
>
> cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src/native/ # which apxs
>
> ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility
>
> make
>
> make install
>

> At this point, I think all I want to do is produce a functioning mod_jk.so and
> let him put it into the modules directory.  Would this do it?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> JL

If all the tools are available on the production system (compiler, libraries), then you do this as a normal user:

myuser$ tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.32-src.tar.gz
myuser$ cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.32-src/native/
myuser$ which apxs
myuser$ ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility
myuser$ make

(where myuser$ is whatever prompt you have for your user id).

Then you tell the system admin where the location is (probably now in /home/myuser/tomcat-connectors-1.2.32-src/native/), and have him do as root:

# cd /home/myuser/tomcat-connectors-1.2.32-src/native/
# make install

That should get the mod_jk.so installed. The administrator will then have to configure it (see tomcat-connectors-1.2.32-src/conf for examples), and finally restart the Apache HTPPD server.

Hopefully the administrator should be able to do that.

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

André Warnier
As things happen, I am just in the process of trying to locate a RedHat mod_jk package for
a client of mine, whose admin also does not seem to find it in RHEL6.
See the other thread entitled "mod_jk under RedHat ?" for some recent interesting answers.

RE: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
André, if you would be so kind as to let me know what you find, I would greatly appreciate it.  I will watch the other thread, too.  :)

As things happen, I am just in the process of trying to locate a RedHat mod_jk package for
a client of mine, whose admin also does not seem to find it in RHEL6.
See the other thread entitled "mod_jk under RedHat ?" for some recent interesting answers.

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

André Warnier
Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2 wrote:
> André, if you would be so kind as to let me know what you find, I would greatly appreciate it.  I will watch the other thread, too.  :)

Well, according to the one and the same Mark Eggers who also provided your last response,
the answer seems to be a package named "mod_jk-ap20-1.2.31-1.ep5.el4.x86_64.rpm" or similar.
But it may not be located in the main RHEL6 software repository.

André Warnier wrote:
> Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2 wrote:
>> André, if you would be so kind as to let me know what you find, I
>> would greatly appreciate it.  I will watch the other thread, too.  :)
>>
> Well, according to the one and the same Mark Eggers who also provided
> your last response, the answer seems to be a package named
> "mod_jk-ap20-1.2.31-1.ep5.el4.x86_64.rpm" or similar.
> But it may not be located in the main RHEL6 software repository.

Addendum :
If you can wait until next Tuesday night 19/7, I will certainly know by then.
On that day, I have to go on-site precisely to install Apache/mod_jk/Tomcat onto a RHEL6
new system, and I will have access to all RHEL6 repositories, with a competent sysadmin to
help me (he just does not know mod_jk).
So if it can be found, we will.

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Mark Eggers-2
> On 7/14/2011 1:08 PM, Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2 wrote:
>>  Chris, something DID just dawn on me...
>>
>>  I have my own account on that Linux server, though not with root
>>  access or anything. Would it be possible for me to compile mod_jk.so
>>  into my own space and then tell him where the mod_jk.so is?
>
> Yes.
>
>>  If so, would the following steps be how I would generate mod_jk.so
>>  (and forgive the "newbie"ness of the question, please)?
>>
>>  tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src.tar.gz
>>
>>  cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.30-src/native/ # which apxs
>
> The "# which apxs" was intended to be a command to determine the
> location of Apache httpd's "apxs" program, which is a
> configuration-dumping utility to help with building Apache httpd
> modules. apxs if often found in /usr/sbin/apxs so Leon's post was using
> that as an example:
>
>>  ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility
>
> Replace /usr/sbin/apxs with whatever the result of "which apxs" is. If
> that doesn't return anything, you may have to have your SA install the
> Apache httpd development package or something. It might also be called
> "apxs2" (that's the case in my Debian Lenny environment).
>
> Good luck,
> - -chris

An addendum concerning building mod_jk on a RedHat based system:

RedHat often (always?) splits libraries from their associated include files and development resources. It really doesn't save a lot of space, so I guess the only reason is to create a clean production (read, can't build software here) environment.

In order to build mod_jk on Fedora (and probably CentOS, RedHat EL), you'll need to have the following installed (plus the normal development tools).

httpd-devel (provides /usr/sbin/apxs
apr-devel (provides the appropriate include files)
apr (required by apr-devel)
apr-util-devel (required by httpd-devel)
apr-util (required by apr-util)

There are other requirements buried in the list above, but if your admin installed these yum should pull in the requirements.

It's good to have a development system that mirrors the software versions running on the production system, with the addition of all the development libraries and tools.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/

Re: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leon Kolchinsky-3

Hmm, I didn't know that you're not managing this box ;)
I'm actually a Linux SysAdmin and not a big specialist in mod_jk ;)
What version of RedHat it is?
What application do you want to run on Tomcat behind Apache Httpd?

If you want I could help your SysAdmin with compilation and basic
configuration.

Cheers,
Leon Kolchinsky

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 03:03, Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Chris.  Unfortunately, I don't have root access, and I know just
> enough Linux to be dangerous!  LOL!  The Linux S.A. doesn't know anything
> about compiling (don't get me started on THAT), so he was asking if there
> were a binary module to drop into the modules folder.  I was hoping to avoid
> having to learn how to do his job FOR him.  :-D
>
> JL

For both threads :
Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x
and
mod_jk under RedHat ?

Here is apparently the deal with mod_jk and Redhat (quoted from my competent sysadmin) :

In the RedHat product "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server" (RHELS), there is no repository
containing a pre-packaged mod_jk module.

To obtain such a package, the client has to purchase the separate RedHat package "JBoss
Enterprise Web Server", which contains mod_jk.

He adds (and I do not understand what that means, but someone else might):

'"JBoss Enterprise Web Server" is not a "Channel" that can be added to RHELS.'

I may comment on this later on, but for now, it seems that the alternatives for someone
who for whatever reason wants/needs to stick with RHELS and the pre-packaged software that
it contains, the alternatives to connect Apache and Tomcat are :
- use mod_proxy and mod_proxy_ajp
or
- use mod_proxy and mod_proxy_http
(which are part of Apache 2.x, which is available in RHELS)

or

purchase the additional RedHat product "JBoss Enterprise Web Server", in which case you
can also use the included mod_jk package.

For someone who wants to stick with RHELS, does not want to buy the additional "JBoss
Enterprise Web Server", but can/is allowed to install other packages, an additional
possibility is to use mod_jk, after compiling it from source.

RE: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
Big thanks to Chris, Andre, and everyone else for all of the guidance!  I think I'm going to do this:

1.  Compile Apache 2.2.19 in /myuser/ space (since I don't have root or admin privileges).

2.  Ask the admin to do his part in taking the compiling code and installing it.

I have a question about doing this with mod_ssl, but I think it would be best for me to start a different thread with this.  Thanks again!

Jonathan

RE: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Jeff Allison
Isn't mod_jk deprecated in favour of mod_ajp.
On Jul 15, 2011 10:15 PM, "Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2" <
[hidden email]> wrote:
> Big thanks to Chris, Andre, and everyone else for all of the guidance! I
think I'm going to do this:

> 1. Compile Apache 2.2.19 in /myuser/ space (since I don't have root or
admin privileges).

> 2. Ask the admin to do his part in taking the compiling code and
installing it.

> I have a question about doing this with mod_ssl, but I think it would be
best for me to start a different thread with this. Thanks again!

> Jonathan

Rainer Jung-3
On 15.07.2011 14:20, Jeff Allison wrote:
> Isn't mod_jk deprecated in favour of mod_ajp.

No

Rainer

RE: Binary of mod_jk.so for Apache 2.2.x

Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2
There is no "apxs" on the Linux server.  The S.A. confirmed this.  That file and nothing closely resembling it are found anywhere on the whole box.  Is it needed to compile mod_jk?