Quantcast

Can anyone do a simple war deployment in Tomcat 6?

Can anyone do a simple war deployment in Tomcat 6?

Clay McCoy-6
I want to deploy a war file in an embedded Tomcat.

There a few outdated examples, and many posts where this gets asked and never answered.
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@.../msg19481.html

The methods once used to do this are gone, and I can't find any examples of how to do such a simple and useful task.  This is pretty ridiculous, surely someone knows how to do this.

Thanks,
Clay

Re: Can anyone do a simple war deployment in Tomcat 6?

Filip Hanik (mailing lists)
simplest
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/appdev/sample/

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html

On 01/21/2010 01:41 PM, Clay McCoy wrote:

> I want to deploy a war file in an embedded Tomcat.
>
> There a few outdated examples, and many posts where this gets asked and never answered.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@.../msg19481.html
>
> The methods once used to do this are gone, and I can't find any examples of how to do such a simple and useful task.  This is pretty ridiculous, surely someone knows how to do this.
>
> Thanks,
> Clay

Re: Can anyone do a simple war deployment in Tomcat 6?

Clay McCoy-6
Thank you for the reply, but I'm talking about embedded Tomcat.
The war is deployed programmatically, and the API has changed drastically since the dated examples I can find.  It would be great if the embedded use of Tomcat had the same level of documentation.

On 1/21/10 3:23 PM, "Filip Hanik - Dev Lists" <[hidden email]> wrote:

simplest
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/appdev/sample/

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html

On 01/21/2010 01:41 PM, Clay McCoy wrote:

> I want to deploy a war file in an embedded Tomcat.
>
> There a few outdated examples, and many posts where this gets asked and never answered.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@.../msg19481.html
>
> The methods once used to do this are gone, and I can't find any examples of how to do such a simple and useful task.  This is pretty ridiculous, surely someone knows how to do this.
>
> Thanks,
> Clay

Re: Can anyone do a simple war deployment in Tomcat 6?

Filip Hanik (mailing lists)
an embedded Tomcat is the same as a regular Tomcat if you configure it
that way.

The easiest way I can think of is to take a look at the class we use to
launch a simple tomcat in trunk

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/Tomcat.java?view=annotate

there is a method called "addWebApp"

Filip

On 01/21/2010 02:50 PM, Clay McCoy wrote:

> Thank you for the reply, but I'm talking about embedded Tomcat.
> The war is deployed programmatically, and the API has changed drastically since the dated examples I can find.  It would be great if the embedded use of Tomcat had the same level of documentation.
>

> On 1/21/10 3:23 PM, "Filip Hanik - Dev Lists"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
> simplest
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/appdev/sample/
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html
>
> On 01/21/2010 01:41 PM, Clay McCoy wrote:
>
>> I want to deploy a war file in an embedded Tomcat.
>>
>> There a few outdated examples, and many posts where this gets asked and never answered.
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@.../msg19481.html
>>
>> The methods once used to do this are gone, and I can't find any examples of how to do such a simple and useful task.  This is pretty ridiculous, surely someone knows how to do this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Clay

question for deploystartup forROOT.war on tomcat cluster

Okubo, Yasushi (TSD)

Hi

I have my application packaged as ROOT.war file. I can auto-deploy this
war file on single tomcat instance whenever I restart tomcat or put a
new war file into webapps. However, if I put the same war file into
tomcat cluster and restart tomcat, tomcat does not redeploy this war
file.

In tomcat cluster [6.0.20/Redhat 5(linux)] , I tested as follows:

A. tomcat fresh startup [succeeded to run ROOT application]
1. shutdown tomcat
2. confirmed only webapps/ROOT.war existed and no
[Catalina_home]/conf/ROOT.xml and no webapps/ROOT
3. start tomcat [node1 of cluster]
4. confirmed that ROOT.war was deployed

B. restarting tomcat [failed to run ROOT application]
1. shutdown tomcat
3. confirmed that [Catalina_home]/conf/ROOT.xml and webapps/ROOT and
webapps/ROOT.war existed
2. simply restarting tomcat by executing shartup.sh
3. other applications under webapps including host-manager etc deployed
and running properly
4. confirmed that only ROOT.war was not deployed

C. test autodeploly [succeeded to run ROOT application]
1. confirmed that tomcat is running
2. moved ROOT.war out of webapps
3. confirmed that tomcat removed [Catalina_home]/conf/ROOT.xml and
webapps/ROOT
4. copied ROOT.war backed to webapps
5. confirmed that tomcat created [Catalina_home]/conf/ROOT.xml and
webapps/ROOT and the application packaged in ROOT.war is running

Is there any trick to make case B work?

RE: question for deploystartup forROOT.war on tomcat cluster

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Okubo, Yasushi (TSD) [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: question for deploystartup forROOT.war on tomcat cluster
>
> 3. confirmed that [Catalina_home]/conf/ROOT.xml and
> webapps/ROOT and webapps/ROOT.war existed

Two obvious problems:

1) The ROOT.xml file belongs in conf/Catalina/[host], not conf.

2) The existence of the webapps/ROOT directory will prevent the unpacking of the .war file.

Your process is flawed.  If you're going to do a manual redeployement rather than using the Tomcat manager or deployer, you will need to clean up the bits of the old version of the application yourself, including the expanded directory, anything for ROOT under the work directory, and possibly the old ROOT.xml file.

 - Chuck

RE: question for deploystartup forROOT.war on tomcat cluster

Okubo, Yasushi (TSD)
Thanks for your reply.

> 3. confirmed that [Catalina_home]/conf/ROOT.xml and
> webapps/ROOT and webapps/ROOT.war existed

>Two obvious problems:

>1) The ROOT.xml file belongs in conf/Catalina/[host], not conf.

Sorry for my typo. I missed to type Catalina/[host] in the path. So it
should be [Catalina_home]/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml as exact.

>2) The existence of the webapps/ROOT directory will prevent the
unpacking of the .war file.

Why only /ROOT?  My other applications all have been re-deployed
properly, even if there existed webapps/[app] and its corresponding war
file.  My problem is only ROOT.war is having a problem to be
re-deplpoyed. Is /ROOT treated differently?

>Your process is flawed.  If you're going to do a manual redeployement
>rather than using the Tomcat manager or deployer, you will need to
clean up >the bits of the old version of the application yourself,
including the >expanded directory, anything for ROOT under the work
directory, and >possibly the old ROOT.xml file.

Again, why only /ROOT needs this special treatment under tomcat cluster
environment?  I have been removing ROOT.xml and /ROOT before restarting
tomcat node, and I would like to stop it if is possible. The exact same
ROOT.war file can be redeployed under single tomcat instance after
restarting tomcat, but it is not re-redeployed on the node under tomcat
cluster

> - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: question for deploystartup forROOT.war on tomcat cluster

Konstantin Kolinko
2010/1/23 Okubo, Yasushi (TSD) <[hidden email]>:

1. What attributes are set on the <Host> element of your server.xml

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/host.html

2. Are there any <Context> elements inside <Host> in your server.xml?
Remove them, if there are any.

3. When ROOT fails to deploy at startup, does Tomcat Manager at that
host shows any webapplication mapped to the same path? (E.g. present,
but not started).

4. Any relevant messages in the log files?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: question for deploystartup forROOT.war on tomcat cluster

Okubo, Yasushi (TSD)
Thanks for your reply, but I do not see any errors and also cannot find
any configuration error.

2010/1/25 Okubo, Yasushi (TSD) <[hidden email]>:
> OK - Listed applications for virtual host localhost

This:

> /manager:running:1:manager
> /:running:0:/
> /host-manager:running:0:host-manager

and this:

> HTTP Status 404 - /
> ________________________________
> type Status report
> message /
> description The requested resource (/) is not available.

means that the web application is deployed and running.

When there is no ROOT application deployed, Tomcat will respond with
an empty zero-length response (it looks like a blank page in a
browser).

It looks like a web application that does not have a welcome page.
Please check that your ROOT.war was properly expanded into
/webapps/ROOT folder, and that those files (especially
WEB-INF/web.xml) are readable by the user that runs that Tomcat
instance.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: question for deploystartup forROOT.war on tomcat cluster

Okubo, Yasushi (TSD)

2010/1/25 Okubo, Yasushi (TSD) <[hidden email]>:
> OK - Listed applications for virtual host localhost

This:

> /manager:running:1:manager
> /:running:0:/
> /host-manager:running:0:host-manager

and this:

> HTTP Status 404 - /
> ________________________________
> type Status report
> message /
> description The requested resource (/) is not available.

>means that the web application is deployed and running.

>When there is no ROOT application deployed, Tomcat will respond with
>an empty zero-length response (it looks like a blank page in a
>browser).

>It looks like a web application that does not have a welcome page.
>Please check that your ROOT.war was properly expanded into
>/webapps/ROOT folder, and that those files (especially
>WEB-INF/web.xml) are readable by the user that runs that Tomcat
>instance.

Yes, it has.

  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>

-rw-rw-r-- 1 xxx yyy 114 Nov 25 14:05 webapps/ROOT/index.html
-rw-rw-r-- 1 xxx yyy 15197 Nov 25 14:51 webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml