Quantcast

Can't access tomcat manager

Lava Saleem
Hi,
I have installed apache tomcat 7.0.4  on a centos linux box,  I have
modified the tomcat-users.xml file as shown below and restarted it, my
tomcat  still can't get an access to the manager,  I deleted the other users
and just put mine in the xml file but this didn't really helped. I'm new to
this system can anybody send me a feedback?
Thank you inadvance

<tomcat-users>
<role rolename="tomcat"/>
<role rolename="role1"/>
<role rolenmae="manager-gui"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" role="tomcat"/>
<user username="both"  password="tomcat" role=tomcat,role1"/>
<user username="role1" password="tomcat"  role="role1"/>
<user username="lnsaleem" password="lnsaleem" role="manager-gui"/>
</tomcat-users>

Lava

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

Markus Schönhaber-10
01.12.2010 23:05, Lava Saleem:

> I have installed apache tomcat 7.0.4  on a centos linux box,  I have
> modified the tomcat-users.xml file as shown below and restarted it, my
> tomcat  still can't get an access to the manager,  I deleted the other users
> and just put mine in the xml file but this didn't really helped. I'm new to
> this system can anybody send me a feedback?
> Thank you inadvance
>
> <tomcat-users>
> <role rolename="tomcat"/>
> <role rolename="role1"/>
> <role rolenmae="manager-gui"/>

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

André Warnier
Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 01.12.2010 23:05, Lava Saleem:
>
>> I have installed apache tomcat 7.0.4  on a centos linux box,  I have
>> modified the tomcat-users.xml file as shown below and restarted it, my
>> tomcat  still can't get an access to the manager,  I deleted the other users
>> and just put mine in the xml file but this didn't really helped. I'm new to
>> this system can anybody send me a feedback?
>> Thank you inadvance
>>
>> <tomcat-users>
>> <role rolename="tomcat"/>
>> <role rolename="role1"/>
>> <role rolenmae="manager-gui"/>
> -------------^^

and if it isn't the above, then with 0.999 probability, you have left XML comment brackets
somewhere where you shouldn't.
<!--
some comment
-->

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

Jorge Medina-5
I hope one of you is right, you have just rule out any other cause by
using all the remaining probability....and it would be catastrophic
for all the mathematicians.

Pid

On 12/1/10 10:05 PM, Lava Saleem wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed apache tomcat 7.0.4  on a centos linux box,

7.0.5 has just been released.

0x62590808.asc (45K) Download Attachment

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

Lava Saleem
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies yeah I have checked the tomcat user xml file and
there are no missing  comments  brackets  or anything so is there any other
reason for this to happen ? do  I need to modify anything else ?

Thank you
Lava
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Pid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/1/10 10:05 PM, Lava Saleem wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have installed apache tomcat 7.0.4  on a centos linux box,
>
> 7.0.5 has just been released.

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

David Smith
Ok ... checklist time ...

- Comments around the <role .... /> and <user ... /> elements have been
removed.  From what I could tell in your original post this is taken
care of.
- The tomcat server has been restarted since the last time
tomcat-users.xml has been edited.
- You are accessing the manager app using the path /manger/html on the
end of your tomcat urls.
- You are sure tomcat is listening on the port specified in your URLs
(if not specified, default is 80 for http, 443 for https)
- Other apps are working in this tomcat instance and you can reach them.
- Check your logs for messages during startup and the timestamp when you
accessed the manager app
- Please describe what you get instead of the expected manager app
(login dialog, 403 response, 404 response, etc., ...)

Checking back over this thread, I don't see enough detail to figure
anything out.  Please paint the picture for us.

--David

On 12/2/2010 9:43 AM, Lava Saleem wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Thanks for the replies yeah I have checked the tomcat user xml file and
> there are no missing  comments  brackets  or anything so is there any other
> reason for this to happen ? do  I need to modify anything else ?
>
> Thank you
> Lava
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Pid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/10 10:05 PM, Lava Saleem wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have installed apache tomcat 7.0.4  on a centos linux box,
>> 7.0.5 has just been released.

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

Markus Schönhaber-10
02.12.2010 15:43, Lava Saleem:

> Thanks for the replies yeah I have checked the tomcat user xml file and
> there are no missing  comments  brackets  or anything so is there any other
> reason for this to happen ? do  I need to modify anything else ?

What *missing* comment brackets? What André tried to explain, is that
you have to make sure to not add your role and user definitions *inside*
the comment that, by default, spans everything between <tomcat-users>
and </tomcat-users>.

Did you correct your typo?

Maybe you should repost the contents of your tomcat-users.xml - this
time *entirely*.

--
Regards
  mks

Lava Saleem wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Thanks for the replies yeah I have checked the tomcat user xml file and
> there are no missing  comments  brackets  or anything so is there any other
> reason for this to happen ? do  I need to modify anything else ?

Unfortunately now, as someone alredy pointed out, we have run out of probabilities.
But wait, David is restarting from the beginning, so maybe we get to make a second bet.

Re: Can't access tomcat manager

Lava Saleem
Thanks everyone for the replies,  it is working now it was a port problem.

Lava

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM, André Warnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lava Saleem wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> Thanks for the replies yeah I have checked the tomcat user xml file and
>> there are no missing  comments  brackets  or anything so is there any
>> other
>> reason for this to happen ? do  I need to modify anything else ?
>>
>> Unfortunately now, as someone alredy pointed out, we have run out of
> probabilities.
> But wait, David is restarting from the beginning, so maybe we get to make a
> second bet.

Lava Saleem
Ph.D Candidate
Systems Engineering Dept. ETAS 357
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 S University Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72204
Tel: (501) 920 6261
Email: [hidden email]

Lava Saleem wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the replies,  it is working now it was a port problem.

Would you care to explain that ?  We don't have that one in our probabilities table yet.