Quantcast

Cannot get manager/html access

Dave Carlson

I am using tomcat 6.0.30 and cannot get the authentication correct using
tomcat-users.xml. Here is my tomcat-users:
   <role rolename="tomcat"/>
   <role rolename="role1"/>
   <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
   <role rolename="manager"/>
   <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,manager"/>
   <user username="admin" password="admin" roles="manager,manager-gui"/>
   <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
   <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>

My server.xml has this in it:
  <GlobalNamingResources>
     <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
          UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users
     -->
               type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"

               pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
   </GlobalNamingResources>

I have tried not using the manager role also. No matter what I do i get
the 401 page like this:

You are not authorized to view this page. If you have not changed any
configuration files, please examine the file conf/tomcat-users.xml in
your installation. That file must contain the credentials to let you use
this webapp.

For example, to add the manager-gui role to a user named tomcat with a
password of s3cret, add the following to the config file listed above.

<role rolename="manager-gui"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager-gui"/>

Note that for Tomcat 6.0.30 onwards, the roles required to use the
manager application were changed from the single manager role to the
following four roles. You will need to assign the role(s) required for
the functionality you wish to access.

     * manager-gui - allows access to the HTML GUI and the status pages
     * manager-script - allows access to the text interface and the
status pages
     * manager-jmx - allows access to the JMX proxy and the status pages
     * manager-status - allows access to the status pages only

The HTML interface is protected against CSRF but the text and JMX
interfaces are not. To maintain the CSRF protection:

     * The deprecated manager role should not be assigned to any user.
     * Users with the manager-gui role should not be granted either the
manager-script or manager-jmx roles.
     * If the text or jmx interfaces are accessed through a browser
(e.g. for testing since these interfaces are intended for tools not
humans) then the browser must be closed afterwards to terminate the
session.

For more information - please see the Manager App HOW-TO.

Any information on how to set this up would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Cannot get manager/html access

André Warnier
Hi.

Just make absolutely sure that you have not, for instance, forgotten to remove the XML
comment signs around the section below.

Dave Carlson wrote:

> I am using tomcat 6.0.30 and cannot get the authentication correct using
> tomcat-users.xml. Here is my tomcat-users:

<!--   ?????

>   <role rolename="tomcat"/>
>   <role rolename="role1"/>
>   <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
>   <role rolename="manager"/>
>   <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,manager"/>
>   <user username="admin" password="admin" roles="manager,manager-gui"/>
>   <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
>   <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>

-->   ??????

Re: Cannot get manager/html access

Dave Carlson
Thanks. I can't believe that I missed those

Dave Carlson wrote:
> Thanks. I can't believe that I missed those

Don't feel too bad. The average is about two per month here.
You may be the first this year though.

I rather like these comment signs.  They provide me with easy kudos, to be able to help on
this list at my own level of expertise.

Re: Cannot get manager/html access

Michael Ludwig-6
André Warnier schrieb am 26.01.2011 um 21:08 (+0100):

> I rather like these comment signs. They provide me with easy kudos […]

Easy kudos, nice. I finally looked up the term to know the origin. To my
surprise, it is Greek. I was convinced it was Japanese.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kudos

Sorry for this irrelevant contribution. Not expecting any kudos.
--
Michael Ludwig

Michael Ludwig wrote:
> André Warnier schrieb am 26.01.2011 um 21:08 (+0100):
>
>> I rather like these comment signs. They provide me with easy kudos […]
>
> Easy kudos, nice. I finally looked up the term to know the origin. To my
> surprise, it is Greek. I was convinced it was Japanese.

I would have thought that too.

> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kudos
>
> Sorry for this irrelevant contribution. Not expecting any kudos.

Not irrelevant. This Tomcat forum is populated by highly intelligent and learned people,
who will certainly enjoy knowing that in addition to simply earning praise, they will also
be showing off the depth of their etymological vocabulary.