Quantcast

Changing the Default webapp

Nick Fielding
Dear Tomcat experts,

I've been trying to figure out how to change the default webapp in
Tomcat 6.0.18 from 'ROOT' to 'uPortal'. I want it such that, when a user
enters http://www.myportal.ac.uk/ into their browser they get uPortal
rather than the default out-of-the-box Tomcat landing page. Currently,
to get uPortal, a user has to enter: http://www.myportal.ac.uk/uPortal .

        - I've tried deleting the 'webapps/ROOT' webapp and creating a
symlink called 'ROOT' to link to 'webapps/uPortal'. This works, however,
I suspect the webapp is being initialised twice, once as ROOT and the
other as uPortal. This is obviously not great.

        - I could do an apache URI rewrite for '/' => '/uPortal/'. But
this would still result in '/uPortal/' appearing in the users address
bar.

        - The uPortal.war could be renamed to ROOT.war, however, I would
rather much prefer to keep uPortal in the 'uPortal' webapp directory.

        - I'd like to keep Tomcat's auto deploy functionality.

So, considering the points above, does anyone know a way of changing the
default webapp for Tomcat?

Many Thanks,
Nick

University of the West of England, Bristol

This email was independently scanned for viruses by McAfee anti-virus software and none were found

Re: Changing the Default webapp

markt
Nick Fielding wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out how to change the default webapp in
> Tomcat 6.0.18 from 'ROOT' to 'uPortal'.
>
> - The uPortal.war could be renamed to ROOT.war, however, I would
> rather much prefer to keep uPortal in the 'uPortal' webapp directory.
>
> - I'd like to keep Tomcat's auto deploy functionality.
>

> So, considering the points above, does anyone know a way of changing the
> default webapp for Tomcat?

It is not possible to meet all of the above requirements. Which one of:
- autoDeploy
- no rename
- WAR kept webapps dir

are you prepared to drop?

RE: Changing the Default webapp

Nick Fielding
Thanks for your reply Mark.

I feared this might be the case. I'm thinking deploying uPortal into the ROOT webapp might be our best option.

Thanks again,
Nick

University of the West of England, Bristol

> I've been trying to figure out how to change the default webapp in
> Tomcat 6.0.18 from 'ROOT' to 'uPortal'.
>
> - The uPortal.war could be renamed to ROOT.war, however, I would
> rather much prefer to keep uPortal in the 'uPortal' webapp directory.
>
> - I'd like to keep Tomcat's auto deploy functionality.
>

> So, considering the points above, does anyone know a way of changing the
> default webapp for Tomcat?

It is not possible to meet all of the above requirements. Which one of:
- autoDeploy
- no rename
- WAR kept webapps dir

are you prepared to drop?

This incoming email to UWE has been independently scanned for viruses by McAfee anti-virus software and none were detected

This email was independently scanned for viruses by McAfee anti-virus software and none were found

Re: Changing the Default webapp

André Warnier
Nick Fielding wrote:

(Note by the way that there is a FAQ for that in the Tomcat Wiki, and
numerous previous threads on the issue).

1) stop Tomcat
2) make a copy of webapps/ROOT, just in case you want later to revert
3) delete ROOT, and whatever is below it
4) rename webapps/uPortal to webapps/ROOT (or uPortal.war to ROOT.war)
5) restart Tomcat

> - The uPortal.war could be renamed to ROOT.war, however, I would
> rather much prefer to keep uPortal in the 'uPortal' webapp directory.

That's not possible.  Ok, it's probably possible, but would be confusing.

> - I'd like to keep Tomcat's auto deploy functionality.

That's not a problem.  But it's kind of inefficient for a production
server, as it requires Tomcat to come and check from time to time if
anything in /webapps has changed.