ClassNotFoundException - common/lib works, shared/lib gets exception

ClassNotFoundException - common/lib works, shared/lib gets exception

Rich Mayfield
So that I avoid "already loaded" classloader problems with jar's that
front native library calls via JNI, I am following the pattern of
putting the jars into "shared/lib".

However, I get a ClassNotFoundException.  If I put this into
"CATALINA_HOME/common/lib", everything works fine.  It's my impression,
though,
that one ought to put it into "shared/lib".

I've tried both CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib and CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib.

This is on Tomcat 5.0.28.  I have not changed
CATALINA_HOME/conf/catalina.properties, which would imply that
CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib should
work.

Any ideas what might be going awry?

Thanks for you help.