DeltaManager implementation

christopher
Hi,

I'm running on the following platform: Tomcat 8.5.12 Java 1.8.0_121 Windows 2012R2
I'm working on a multi-node configuration. I have some questions about how the DeltaManager works. Does using the DeltaManager require sticky sessions using jvmRoute? Or does the DeltaManager replicate to all nodes?
It isn't clear to me why jvmRoute is required if DeltaManager replicates to all nodes.
Thanks,
Chris

Re: DeltaManager implementation

markt
On 26/07/2017 19:20, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running on the following platform: Tomcat 8.5.12 Java 1.8.0_121 Windows 2012R2
> I'm working on a multi-node configuration. I have some questions about how the DeltaManager works. Does using the DeltaManager require sticky sessions using jvmRoute?

You can configure it so it works without but there is a performance cost
of doing so. There is also a risk of breakage even if properly configured.

> Or does the DeltaManager replicate to all nodes?

It does, but the issue is one of timing. The main problematic area is
the user agent being directed to another node before the session data
has replicated. This can be avoided by configuring sync replication
(which slows things down since the response does not complete until the
replication has completed).

> It isn't clear to me why jvmRoute is required if DeltaManager replicates to all nodes.

You can do async replication which is faster without risk of breakage
unless the node f ails when there might be some state loss.

Re: DeltaManager implementation

christopher
>> Or does the DeltaManager replicate to all nodes?
>
> It does, but the issue is one of timing. The main problematic area is
> the user agent being directed to another node before the session data
> has replicated. This can be avoided by configuring sync replication
> (which slows things down since the response does not complete until the
> replication has completed).

I figured out our issue today. Our servers are multi-honed and the
multi-cast routing was slightly different on different nodes, so they
weren't discovering each other.  Explicitly specifying the interface to
bind to in the Membership configuration solved the issue.

Re: DeltaManager implementation

christopher
We are still having an issue with some users losing session information.
I want to use synchronous updates for the DeltaManager.
To enable this should the channelSendOptions be set to 6? That isn't
clear to me from reading the documentation.
Thanks,
-Chris

On 04/08/17 20:55, [hidden email] wrote:
> We are still having an issue with some users losing session information.
> I want to use synchronous updates for the DeltaManager.
> To enable this should the channelSendOptions be set to 6? That isn't
> clear to me from reading the documentation.

Correct. With channelSendOptions 6, the replication message will be sent
at the end of the request processing and the request will not complete
until the message has been received and processed by the other nodes.

Mark