Quantcast

Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API” error on Windows 7

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API” error on Windows 7

Richard Cooke-4
When starting Tomcat 6 on a newly installed Windows 7 Enterprise machine
with JRE 6 using C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe the application does not open and my event viewer has
the message:

"Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API."

The same installer of Tomcat worked on Windows Vista before I upgraded my
operating system.

Can anyone please suggest a way to fix this?

The only site I can find mentioning this is
http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=4418 which suggests using this
config setting "Win32DisableAcceptEx" - but it's for Apache, not Tomcat, and
I have no idea where in what config file it might need to go in Tomcat.
Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API” error on Windows 7

André Warnier
Richard Cooke wrote:

> When starting Tomcat 6 on a newly installed Windows 7 Enterprise machine
> with JRE 6 using C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe the application does not open and my event viewer has
> the message:
>
> "Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API."
>
> The same installer of Tomcat worked on Windows Vista before I upgraded my
> operating system.
>
> Can anyone please suggest a way to fix this?
>
> The only site I can find mentioning this is
> http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=4418 which suggests using this
> config setting "Win32DisableAcceptEx" - but it's for Apache, not Tomcat, and
> I have no idea where in what config file it might need to go in Tomcat.
> Thanks.
>
In the (temporary I hope) absence of the gurus, I would venture a guess.
This sounds like a relatively low-level call, and thus unlikely to be in
the Java code of Tomcat per se.
If you are using the "native" connector code (tcnative.dll ?), try
removing (renaming) it and restarting Tomcat.
Otherwise, maybe it is the Java JVM itself which needs updating ?


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API” error on Windows 7

Richard Cooke-4
Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately this did not help.

I did not install Tomcat with the 'native' checkbox ticked and do not have
tcnative.dll in my Tomcat directory.  I also have the latest version of the
JVM installed.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM, André Warnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard Cooke wrote:
>
>> When starting Tomcat 6 on a newly installed Windows 7 Enterprise machine
>> with JRE 6 using C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
>> 6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe the application does not open and my event viewer has
>> the message:
>>
>> "Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API."
>>
>> The same installer of Tomcat worked on Windows Vista before I upgraded my
>> operating system.
>>
>> Can anyone please suggest a way to fix this?
>>
>> The only site I can find mentioning this is
>> http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=4418 which suggests using
>> this
>> config setting "Win32DisableAcceptEx" - but it's for Apache, not Tomcat,
>> and
>> I have no idea where in what config file it might need to go in Tomcat.
>> Thanks.
>>
>>  In the (temporary I hope) absence of the gurus, I would venture a guess.
> This sounds like a relatively low-level call, and thus unlikely to be in
> the Java code of Tomcat per se.
> If you are using the "native" connector code (tcnative.dll ?), try removing
> (renaming) it and restarting Tomcat.
> Otherwise, maybe it is the Java JVM itself which needs updating ?
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Sincerely,
Richard Cooke.
Saratoga Software.
021 658 4109.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API” error on Windows 7

André Warnier
Richard Cooke wrote:
> Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately this did not help.
>
> I did not install Tomcat with the 'native' checkbox ticked and do not have
> tcnative.dll in my Tomcat directory.  I also have the latest version of the
> JVM installed.

Unfortunately then I am out of my depth, and we will have to wait for
someone who really knows what he is talking about.
But the information above is helpful.
To insure that you get the quickest response from now on, it would be a
good idea to specify exactly which version of Tomcat and which version
of JVM you are using.
In the Tomcat bin directory, there should normally be a "version.bat"
file, which when executed diplays useful information.
(But it is only available in the zip version of the Tomcat download).


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API” error on Windows 7

Richard Cooke-4
My Tomcat installer file says version 6.0.20.  I do not have a version.bat
file.
My java version is 1.6.0.18.


On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM, André Warnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard Cooke wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately this did not help.
>>
>> I did not install Tomcat with the 'native' checkbox ticked and do not have
>> tcnative.dll in my Tomcat directory.  I also have the latest version of
>> the
>> JVM installed.
>>
>
> Unfortunately then I am out of my depth, and we will have to wait for
> someone who really knows what he is talking about.
> But the information above is helpful.
> To insure that you get the quickest response from now on, it would be a
> good idea to specify exactly which version of Tomcat and which version of
> JVM you are using.
> In the Tomcat bin directory, there should normally be a "version.bat" file,
> which when executed diplays useful information.
> (But it is only available in the zip version of the Tomcat download).
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Sincerely,
Richard Cooke.
Saratoga Software.
021 658 4109.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API" error on Windows 7

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Richard Cooke [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API" error on Windows
> 7
>
> My Tomcat installer file says version 6.0.20.  I do not have a
> version.bat file.
> My java version is 1.6.0.18.

Post your <Connector> configuration so we can take a look at it.

You might also want to try Tomcat 6.0.24; my guess is that won't help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, the .zip download gives you a bit more flexibility in how you start Tomcat, so I always prefer that one over the .exe download.  See if Tomcat will come up with the startup.bat script, and only after that try to install it as a service.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API" error on Windows 7

Richard Cooke-4
Thanks, Chuck - this problem is fixed.  The zip version starts without any
problems using startup.bat.  I'll just start Tomcat manually as I'm doing
only development work at the moment.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: Richard Cooke [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > Subject: Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API" error on Windows
> > 7
> >
> > My Tomcat installer file says version 6.0.20.  I do not have a
> > version.bat file.
> > My java version is 1.6.0.18.
>
> Post your <Connector> configuration so we can take a look at it.
>
> You might also want to try Tomcat 6.0.24; my guess is that won't help, but
> it doesn't hurt to try.
>
> Also, the .zip download gives you a bit more flexibility in how you start
> Tomcat, so I always prefer that one over the .exe download.  See if Tomcat
> will come up with the startup.bat script, and only after that try to install
> it as a service.
>
>  - Chuck
>
>
> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY
> MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received
> this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its
> attachments from all computers.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Sincerely,
Richard Cooke.
Saratoga Software.
021 658 4109.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API" error on Windows 7

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Richard Cooke [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API" error on Windows
> 7
>
> The zip version starts without any problems using startup.bat.

I did get Tomcat 6.0.20 running as a service on Win7, with a few caveats:

1) The OS is Win7 Ultimate *RC1* running on VMware.

2) The service was installed with service.bat running as administrator.

3) The JVM is JDK 1.7.0-ea-b76.

So it's likely to be a tad different environment than yours...

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...