ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Tercio Pedro
Hello,

I am a user of the Tomcat server, I need assistance in configuring the ssl
certificate and port 443.

I installed the ssl certificate but the site just opens on port 8443 I want
to go to port 443, I already changed the port on the connector
(server.xml), I already enabled the port on the firewall and when I try to
open on port 443 I have the error: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I need your help.

Thanks

Re: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Jim Johnson
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:39 AM Tercio Pedro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a user of the Tomcat server, I need assistance in configuring the ssl
> certificate and port 443.
>
> I installed the ssl certificate but the site just opens on port 8443 I want
> to go to port 443, I already changed the port on the connector
> (server.xml), I already enabled the port on the firewall and when I try to
> open on port 443 I have the error: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
>
> I need your help.
>
> Thanks

Hello,

I guess my first questions would be what user / account are you using to
run the Tomcat process? Can you confirm that port 443 is actually listening
when you start Tomcat? Are there any errors in the catalina.out log?

Ports lower than 1024 are considered privileged ports and only root can
manage processes that use those ports. There are some workarounds where you
can use software like authbind to have a non-root user do it instead but it
takes some extra tinkering. There are also folks that run Tomcat on 8443
and then configure iptables to forward port 443 to 8443. There are a few
different ways to accomplish what you want to do - have you researched any
of these solutions?

Jim

Re: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Tercio,

On 11/30/20 10:38, Tercio Pedro wrote:
> I am a user of the Tomcat server, I need assistance in configuring the ssl
> certificate and port 443.
>
> I installed the ssl certificate but the site just opens on port 8443 I want
> to go to port 443, I already changed the port on the connector
> (server.xml), I already enabled the port on the firewall and when I try to
> open on port 443 I have the error: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Can you please post the <Connector> element(s) from your conf/server.xml
file? My guess is that you have port="8443" and you need to do one of
the following:

1. Set port="443"
    NOTE: This will only work on Windows, or if you use
    jsvc/authbind/setcap on *NIX environments

2. Use your firewall to re-wire incoming port 443 -> port 8443
    This is done in different ways depending on OS and network setup