Quantcast

Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

bhavik shah
Hi,
I have installed the Tomcat 6.0.20 on windows 2003 server. Which runs as
local system account.  Tomcat services run fine.
Different user group login to that windows server for different purpose via
Remote Desktop.
If a user who is not administrator on the box login via Remote Desktop - The
user always gets the message that
*Application System Error*
*Access Denied*
*Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6'*
**
Which is annoying for the users.  Once the user ignore the message user can
launch the tomcat home page and also webapp on that tomcat server.  Is there
any way to avoid the message when login via remote desktop for non
administrator user?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

Jeffrey Janner
Are you sure it says Tomcat6 and not Tomcat6w?
Here is what's probably happening:  
Windows is trying to launch the Tomcat6w.exe (aka the Tomcat Monitor
system tray object) because it's in the "Run" section of the registry.
Since this tool allows changes to the registry, Windows probably
requires Admin rights to run it.
I had fits with this on Windows 2008 Server even for someone with admin
rights until I lessened the stupid security a bit.

You might have to edit your registry and remove the auto-run of
Tomcat6w.exe.  You can still run it manually if you need it as an admin
from the menu.

Someone please correct if this is incorrect.

-----Original Message-----
From: bhavik shah [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:53 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

Hi,
I have installed the Tomcat 6.0.20 on windows 2003 server. Which runs as
local system account.  Tomcat services run fine.
Different user group login to that windows server for different purpose
via
Remote Desktop.
If a user who is not administrator on the box login via Remote Desktop -
The
user always gets the message that
*Application System Error*
*Access Denied*
*Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6'*
**
Which is annoying for the users.  Once the user ignore the message user
can
launch the tomcat home page and also webapp on that tomcat server.  Is
there
any way to avoid the message when login via remote desktop for non
administrator user?

*******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Jeffrey Janner [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: RE: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows
> 2003
>
> Are you sure it says Tomcat6 and not Tomcat6w?

The message should say Tomcat6 - that's the name of the service that the unprivileged tomcat6w.exe program is trying to access.

> Someone please correct if this is incorrect.

Other than the initial question, it all looks quite reasonable.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

bhavik shah
In reply to this post by Jeffrey Janner
Hi I am sure it is "Tomcat6"

Can you please explain the registry setting as I could not find auto-run for
Apache Software foundation.

Thanks



On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Jeffrey Janner <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Are you sure it says Tomcat6 and not Tomcat6w?
> Here is what's probably happening:
> Windows is trying to launch the Tomcat6w.exe (aka the Tomcat Monitor
> system tray object) because it's in the "Run" section of the registry.
> Since this tool allows changes to the registry, Windows probably
> requires Admin rights to run it.
> I had fits with this on Windows 2008 Server even for someone with admin
> rights until I lessened the stupid security a bit.
>
> You might have to edit your registry and remove the auto-run of
> Tomcat6w.exe.  You can still run it manually if you need it as an admin
> from the menu.
>
> Someone please correct if this is incorrect.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: bhavik shah [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:53 PM
> To: Tomcat Users List
> Subject: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003
>
> Hi,
> I have installed the Tomcat 6.0.20 on windows 2003 server. Which runs as
> local system account.  Tomcat services run fine.
> Different user group login to that windows server for different purpose
> via
> Remote Desktop.
> If a user who is not administrator on the box login via Remote Desktop -
> The
> user always gets the message that
> *Application System Error*
> *Access Denied*
> *Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6'*
> **
> Which is annoying for the users.  Once the user ignore the message user
> can
> launch the tomcat home page and also webapp on that tomcat server.  Is
> there
> any way to avoid the message when login via remote desktop for non
> administrator user?
>
> *******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
> This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
> it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
> agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
> of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
> communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
> telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
> message and all its attachments.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: bhavik shah [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows
> 2003
>
> Hi I am sure it is "Tomcat6"

That's the name of the service, not the name of the program being auto-run.

> Can you please explain the registry setting as I could not
> find auto-run for Apache Software foundation.

Search the registry for tomcat6w.exe (or just tomcat6).

Might also be something in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs (I think that's the right path for Win2K3, but I don't have one handy).

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

André Warnier
In reply to this post by bhavik shah
bhavik shah wrote:
> Hi I am sure it is "Tomcat6"
>
> Can you please explain the registry setting as I could not find auto-run for
> Apache Software foundation.

I don't really know, but I'll make a guess and suggest that you have a
look here :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(when you are logged-in as the user in question)

Or, if you are logged-in as an Administrator, maybe here :

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(and for each user under HKEY_USERS/)

I also think that when you install Tomcat, it gives you the option to
start this monitor or not.  If so, de-install, re-install and choose "no".


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

Jeffrey Janner
I just had to remove one on one of my servers (I create one per instance and just deleted an instance).
The registry path is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
The default key name is "ApacheTomcatMonitor".

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:57 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Error - Unable to open the service 'Tomcat6' on Windows 2003

bhavik shah wrote:
> Hi I am sure it is "Tomcat6"
>
> Can you please explain the registry setting as I could not find auto-run for
> Apache Software foundation.

I don't really know, but I'll make a guess and suggest that you have a
look here :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(when you are logged-in as the user in question)

Or, if you are logged-in as an Administrator, maybe here :

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(and for each user under HKEY_USERS/)

I also think that when you install Tomcat, it gives you the option to
start this monitor or not.  If so, de-install, re-install and choose "no".


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]



*******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...