Quantcast

Fwd: Re: Invalid command 'SHUTDOW' received

Fwd: Re: Invalid command 'SHUTDOW' received

Frederick Ouimet
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I think I managed to find the culprit.

To answer your questions Konstantin:
1- Windows 7, JDK and Tomcat are 32-bit
2- from command prompt, chcp return code page 850
3- I change the shutdown string to "FRED" and the last character was
trimmed: invalid command "FRE" received ...

The fact that the last character is chewed up somehow made me go back to
an initial theory that something is intercepting the shutdown command
before Tomcat receives it.  So I went back to Avast resident shields.  I
turned off the Avast shields once again.  It seems to improve shutting
down Tomcat a bit, Tomcat responds on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ shutdown
command instead of 14+.  But it's just not consistent, Tomcat almost
never responds on the 1st shutdown.  That's why I first concluded that
Avast wasn't the problem.  Add the fact that the windows XP PC where
Tomcat shuts down fine also runs Avast.

As a last resort, I decided to completely uninstall Avast.  Guess what,
Tomcat now shuts down properly on the 1st try!

Must be something with Avast and Windows 7 or corrupted installation.
Maybe it's something else but I started and shut down Tomcat about 10
times so far from command prompt and Eclipse and everything is OK.

Time to get a new AV, gonna try with AVG free I guess.

Thanks to all who took the time to read and help me with this!

Fred.

*Frederick Ouimet*
*/[hidden email]/*

On 2011-07-20 12:12 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> 2011/7/19 Frederick Ouimet<[hidden email]>:
>> - Tried using JDK1.5.0_22 instead of JDK1.6.0_25 to no avail.
> 1. Is your system 32-bit or 64-bit?  Do you use 64-bit JDK or 32-bit JDK?
>
> 2. What is language and default character set in your system?
>
> 3. I wonder what will happen if you edit shutdown command value in
> your system.xml. Does it trim last character, any characters after 7th
> one, or character 'N'  specifically?
>

> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Fwd: Re: Invalid command 'SHUTDOW' received

Mark Eggers-2
Replies inline:

> From: Frederick Ouimet
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding.  I think I managed to find the culprit.
>
> To answer your questions Konstantin:
> 1- Windows 7, JDK and Tomcat are 32-bit
> 2- from command prompt, chcp return code page 850
> 3- I change the shutdown string to "FRED" and the last character was
> trimmed: invalid command "FRE" received ...

I have a slightly different system than you do for Windows:

Windows XP/Professional
Avast! 6.0.1203

JRE 1.6.0_26
JDK 1.6.0_23
Tomcat 6.0.29
  One installation from the .exe
  One installation from the zip file
NetBeans 6.9.1

I need to do some updating.

> The fact that the last character is chewed up somehow made me go back to an
> initial theory that something is intercepting the shutdown command before Tomcat
> receives it.  So I went back to Avast resident shields.  I turned off the Avast
> shields once again.  It seems to improve shutting down Tomcat a bit, Tomcat
> responds on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ shutdown command instead of 14+.  But it's
> just not consistent, Tomcat almost never responds on the 1st shutdown.
> That's why I first concluded that Avast wasn't the problem.  Add the
> fact that the windows XP PC where Tomcat shuts down fine also runs Avast.
>
> As a last resort, I decided to completely uninstall Avast.  Guess what, Tomcat
> now shuts down properly on the 1st try!

I started and stopped Tomcat cleanly while Avast! was running:
  Tomcat as a service
  Tomcat from the DOS command line
  Tomcat from the Cygwin bash command line (complains about PATH syntax, but otherwise fine)
  Tomcat from NetBeans 6.9.1

> Must be something with Avast and Windows 7 or corrupted installation.  Maybe
> it's something else but I started and shut down Tomcat about 10 times so far
> from command prompt and Eclipse and everything is OK.

I wonder if there is anything in the Avast! reports that would be useful. I'm not sure where they would be on Windows 7, but on XP they are in:

All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\report

Change the 5 to 6 if you've not upgraded from 5 to 6 (like I have). If you find something, you might post it to the Avast! forums to get a work around or get them to fix the bug. It would certainly be useful for those of us who are staying on Avast!.

Glad you have it working.

just my two cents . . . .

/mde/

Re: Fwd: Re: Invalid command 'SHUTDOW' received

Frederick Ouimet
Hi!

Just a followup, after installing AVG free 2011, I have the same
problems.  See the Tomcat 6.0.32 log attached.  I ended up uninstalling
AVG too.  Weird that 2 competing products show the same kind of symptoms.

I'm running Microsoft Security Essential for now, there doesn't seem to
be any problems so far although I don't feel like I have the same level
of protection :(

It looks more and more like it has to do with something in Windows 7
Home Premium and something the AV do.  I have Avast 6.0.132 on a windows
XP pc too and it didn't show any of the symptoms from the tests I made.
I also run XP with Mcafee corporate at work and have never seen any such
problems.

I'll see if I can open a post directly with Avast.  Anybody out there
that run Win7 32-bit with Avast or AVG that could try starting/shutting
down Tomcat just to confirm the problem or if it's something else?

Steps to reproduce:
1- download tomcat 7.0.19: http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
(choose 32-bit windows zip)
2- unzip tomcat in any folder
3- start tomcat from a command prompt window: <tomcat
folder>/bin/startup.bat
     a java command prompt window should open
4- once the server is started, from the initial command prompt, type
shutdown.bat
5- repeat step 3-4 a couple of times to confirm if it's working properly
or not

Thanks for the help!

Fred.

*Frederick Ouimet*
*/[hidden email]/*

On 2011-07-23 11:18 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:

> Replies inline:
>
>> From: Frederick Ouimet
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay in responding.  I think I managed to find the culprit.
>>
>> To answer your questions Konstantin:
>> 1- Windows 7, JDK and Tomcat are 32-bit
>> 2- from command prompt, chcp return code page 850
>> 3- I change the shutdown string to "FRED" and the last character was
>> trimmed: invalid command "FRE" received ...
>
> I have a slightly different system than you do for Windows:
>
> Windows XP/Professional
> Avast! 6.0.1203
>
> JRE 1.6.0_26
> JDK 1.6.0_23
> Tomcat 6.0.29
>    One installation from the .exe
>    One installation from the zip file
> NetBeans 6.9.1
>

> I need to do some updating.
>
>> The fact that the last character is chewed up somehow made me go back to an
>> initial theory that something is intercepting the shutdown command before Tomcat
>> receives it.  So I went back to Avast resident shields.  I turned off the Avast
>> shields once again.  It seems to improve shutting down Tomcat a bit, Tomcat
>> responds on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ shutdown command instead of 14+.  But it's
>> just not consistent, Tomcat almost never responds on the 1st shutdown.
>> That's why I first concluded that Avast wasn't the problem.  Add the
>> fact that the windows XP PC where Tomcat shuts down fine also runs Avast.
>>
>> As a last resort, I decided to completely uninstall Avast.  Guess what, Tomcat
>> now shuts down properly on the 1st try!
> I started and stopped Tomcat cleanly while Avast! was running:
>    Tomcat as a service
>    Tomcat from the DOS command line
>    Tomcat from the Cygwin bash command line (complains about PATH syntax, but otherwise fine)
>    Tomcat from NetBeans 6.9.1
>
>> Must be something with Avast and Windows 7 or corrupted installation.  Maybe
>> it's something else but I started and shut down Tomcat about 10 times so far
>> from command prompt and Eclipse and everything is OK.
>
> I wonder if there is anything in the Avast! reports that would be useful. I'm not sure where they would be on Windows 7, but on XP they are in:
>
> All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\report
>

> Change the 5 to 6 if you've not upgraded from 5 to 6 (like I have). If you find something, you might post it to the Avast! forums to get a work around or get them to fix the bug. It would certainly be useful for those of us who are staying on Avast!.
>
> Glad you have it working.
>
> just my two cents . . . .
>
> /mde/

catalina.2011-07-24.log (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: Re: Invalid command 'SHUTDOW' received