Quantcast

HTTP pseudostreaming in tomcat

Jason Fowler
Hi all. New to the list. I had a quick question.

First, the obligatory...
Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.26
Server built:   March 9 2010 1805
Server number:  6.0.26.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.6.0_20-b02
JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

Now the question...

Is there any way to make Tomcat stream (ie. http pseudostream) h.264
encoded mp4s. I know it can be done with servers like lighthttp and Apache.
I didn't know, however, if it is possible it Tomcat.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

Re: HTTP pseudostreaming in tomcat

André Warnier
Jason Fowler wrote:

> Hi all. New to the list. I had a quick question.
>
> First, the obligatory...
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.26
> Server built:   March 9 2010 1805
> Server number:  6.0.26.0
> OS Name:        Linux
> OS Version:     2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
> Architecture:   amd64
> JVM Version:    1.6.0_20-b02
> JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.
>
> Now the question...
>
> Is there any way to make Tomcat stream (ie. http pseudostream) h.264
> encoded mp4s. I know it can be done with servers like lighthttp and Apache.
> I didn't know, however, if it is possible it Tomcat.

I do not know anything about streaming, and I certainly don't want to discourage your
excellent introduction above, but Google provides some answers to the search "tomcat
streaming" that might be of interest to you. This one for example :
http://flowplayer.org/plugins/streaming/pseudostreaming.html

Pid

On 27/01/2012 15:21, André Warnier wrote:

> Jason Fowler wrote:
>> Hi all. New to the list. I had a quick question.
>>
>> First, the obligatory...
>> Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.26
>> Server built:   March 9 2010 1805
>> Server number:  6.0.26.0
>> OS Name:        Linux
>> OS Version:     2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
>> Architecture:   amd64
>> JVM Version:    1.6.0_20-b02
>> JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.
>>
>> Now the question...
>>
>> Is there any way to make Tomcat stream (ie. http pseudostream) h.264
>> encoded mp4s. I know it can be done with servers like lighthttp and
>> Apache.
>> I didn't know, however, if it is possible it Tomcat.
>>

> I do not know anything about streaming, and I certainly don't want to
> discourage your excellent introduction above, but Google provides some
> answers to the search "tomcat streaming" that might be of interest to
> you. This one for example :
> http://flowplayer.org/plugins/streaming/pseudostreaming.html
+1 for supplying detailed version info.

If pseudostreaming relies on HTTP range headers then AFAIK the
DefaultServlet will support that if your application can correctly
supply the byte range to be served.

[key:62590808]