Quantcast

How do I uninstall tomcat

BoyePeter
Hi Folks,

I recently installed tomcat version 6 on my Windows XP laptop in order to test some Java servlets.
Windows XP is fully up to date with all service updates and security updates.
I believe that I followed all the installation instructions correctly and Tomcat reports that it is running using port 8080 very soon after I start it.
I tried to fire up the examples supplied with Tomcat by using the address in IE "http://localhost:8080, as described in the Tomcat instructions. This resulted in an Error 404 which stated that the server was running but the webpages could not be accessed.
I also tried to run my test servlet with the same result.
I tried stopping Tomcat to check whether there was another webserver running. When I tried to run my test servlet without Tomcat running, it failed with an error saying that there was no service. From this I assume that there was not another webserver running.
I discovered that I had multiple Java directories in C:\Program Files and have decided to start completely from scratch by uninstalling all Java versions and Tomcat.
I have successfully uninstalled all Java instances and checked that their directories have been removed from C:\Program Files.
However, I cannot find any standad method of uninstalling Tomcat, which is installed at c:\tomcat
It does not appear in the list of installed programs in the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs list.
Nor can I find any program called uninstall in the tomcat directories.
Nor can I find any reference to uninstall in any of the tomcat documentation.
I have tried searching the Tomcat wiki for uninstall information but got zero responses.

Can I just delete the tomcat directory?
or will this leave orphan Windows registry elements hanging around?
I would not want to edit the Windows registry directly myself at my currently level of knowledge and experience.

Or is their an uninstall process / program that I can use?

I hope that someone can help me.

Best Regards,

Pete

RE: How do I uninstall tomcat

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: BoyePeter [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: How do I uninstall tomcat
>
> Can I just delete the tomcat directory?

If you installed Tomcat from the .zip download, then yes.  If you ran the service.bat script to create a Tomcat service, run "service.bat remove" first.

If you had used the .exe download, tomcat would be in a completely different directory, and there would be an entry in the Windows program list (I think - I dislike the .exe version and don't use it myself).

 - Chuck

RE: How do I uninstall tomcat

BoyePeter
Chuck,