How to install a self-signed SSL certificate

How to install a self-signed SSL certificate

tom98
Can anyone ELI5 installing a self-signed SSL certificate?

The server has Jira installed on CentOS and nothing else running.   I cannot even begin to follow the howto's I'm finding.  I'm not 100% sure but it seems like the server is using APR rather than JSSE.

I am trying to follow this guide: https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/ssl-howto.html

I've gotten as far as :

"The APR connector uses different attributes for many SSL settings, particularly keys and certificates. An example of an APR configuration is:

<Connector
           protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
           port="8443" maxThreads="200"
           scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
           SSLCertificateFile="/usr/local/ssl/server.crt"
           SSLCertificateKeyFile="/usr/local/ssl/server.pem"
           SSLVerifyClient="optional" SSLProtocol="TLSv1+TLSv1.1+TLSv1.2"/>"

However, no .crt or .pem file has been created yet so I can't follow any further.

I'm really just trying to install a self-signed cert and force SSL https instead of http and that's it and not make any other changes.  Every document I see on this seems to have 10,000 words and hundreds of terms I know nothing about.  Can anyone help out with a simple guide?