Quantcast

Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

Geet Chandra
Hi All,

Please let me know,

What is the difference beween PermSize and MaxPermSize in Tomcat

Thanks & Regards
Geet

RE: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Geet Chandra [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

> What is the difference beween PermSize and MaxPermSize in Tomcat

That is not a Tomcat question, it's a JVM one:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jvm+permsize+maxpermsize

 - Chuck

Re: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

Thomas Rohde
Hi Geet,

these parameters are not Tomcat specific. This are JVM parameters as
Chuck mentioned. The parameter -XX:PermSize defines the initial size of
the PermGen (permanent generation) of the jvm memory. -XX:MaxPermSize is
to set the max size.

Thomas

Am 20.02.2012 04:46, schrieb Geet Chandra:
> Hi All,
>
> Please let me know,
>
> What is the difference beween PermSize and MaxPermSize in Tomcat

Re: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

Geet Chandra
how to set  -XX:PermSize and   -XX:MaxPermSize at startup of Tomcat?.
Please let me know....

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Thomas Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Geet,
>
> these parameters are not Tomcat specific. This are JVM parameters as Chuck
> mentioned. The parameter -XX:PermSize defines the initial size of the
> PermGen (permanent generation) of the jvm memory. -XX:MaxPermSize is to set
> the max size.
>
> Thomas
>

> Am 20.02.2012 04:46, schrieb Geet Chandra:
>
>  Hi All,
>>
>> Please let me know,
>>
>> What is the difference beween PermSize and MaxPermSize in Tomcat

Thanks & Regards
Geet

Re: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

André Warnier
Geet Chandra wrote:
> how to set  -XX:PermSize and   -XX:MaxPermSize at startup of Tomcat?.
> Please let me know....

Considering that you don't really seem to know what they are, you probably shouldn't.
By default, the JVM on your platform will use reasonable values.  So why exactly do you
want to change them ?  Do you have a problem with their current size ? Explain.

By the way, it may also help to inform us which version of Tomcat you are using, with
which JVM version, and on which platform.

Pid

On 14/03/2012 09:22, André Warnier wrote:

> Geet Chandra wrote:
>> how to set  -XX:PermSize and   -XX:MaxPermSize at startup of Tomcat?.
>> Please let me know....
>
> Considering that you don't really seem to know what they are, you
> probably shouldn't.
> By default, the JVM on your platform will use reasonable values.  So why
> exactly do you want to change them ?  Do you have a problem with their
> current size ? Explain.
>
> By the way, it may also help to inform us which version of Tomcat you
> are using, with which JVM version, and on which platform.
[cough] homework [cough]

>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Thomas Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Geet,
>>>
>>> these parameters are not Tomcat specific. This are JVM parameters as
>>> Chuck
>>> mentioned. The parameter -XX:PermSize defines the initial size of the
>>> PermGen (permanent generation) of the jvm memory. -XX:MaxPermSize is
>>> to set
>>> the max size.
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>>

>>> Am 20.02.2012 04:46, schrieb Geet Chandra:
>>>
>>>  Hi All,

[key:62590808]

Re: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

Geet Chandra
Version of Tomcat is 6.0.035 As <http://6.0.035.As> Tomcat is being shipped
with product developed, we are providing command line utility,using the
same utility users are of product allow to change the configurable
parameters as per application type deployed in tomcat.We are using
<utiltity>.vbs as mentioned utility implementation file.Also we are
registering tomcat as windows service while product is being installed and
command to start tomcat as "cmd.exe /c net start tomcat ".Hoping everyone
understood my requirements.

Thanks & Regards
Geet

Geet Chandra wrote:
> Version of Tomcat is 6.0.035 As <http://6.0.035.As> Tomcat is being shipped
> with product developed, we are providing command line utility,using the
> same utility users are of product allow to change the configurable
> parameters as per application type deployed in tomcat.We are using
> <utiltity>.vbs as mentioned utility implementation file.Also we are
> registering tomcat as windows service while product is being installed and
> command to start tomcat as "cmd.exe /c net start tomcat ".Hoping everyone
> understood my requirements.

Not really. I think one would need Pid's crystall ball to really understand the first part
of your message above.  Let me try to dissect it however :

 > Version of Tomcat is 6.0.035
Ok, let's say.

As <http://6.0.035.As>
Huh ?

  Tomcat is being shipped
 > with product developed,
I think I got that.

 > we are providing command line utility,using the
 > same utility users are of product allow to change the configurable
 > parameters as per application type deployed in tomcat.We are using
 > <utiltity>.vbs as mentioned utility implementation file.

Not quite sure I understand what you're talking about here.
But I gather that you are somehow shipping Tomcat together with some unspecified
application and some cutely-named script described in some file.
And that this is under Windows..

 > Also we are
 > registering tomcat as windows service while product is being installed

Ah. And how exactly are you doing this ?

First, you'd have to tell us /which/ Tomcat package, downloaded from where, you are
shipping, and how you do this installation.
Then you'd have to tell us which Java JVM you are also installing (presumably).
And then, tell us /how/ you are doing the registration of Tomcat as a Windows Service.

 > and
 > command to start tomcat as "cmd.exe /c net start tomcat ".

In your answer, please answer each question just below the question, and not everything at
the top of the message.

In the meantime, you could reflect on this : the people who man this forum are volunteers,
who generally do their best to answer the questions of fellow Tomcat users.
But they are not obliged to answer questions.
And you stand a much better chance to have your questions answered correctly and quickly,
if you make at least a little effort to ask them clearly and if you provide sufficient and
precise information in the first place.
Quite apart from your particular Tomcat issue, this is also generally a good strategy when
talking to people you don't know, when you want something from them.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM, André Warnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Geet Chandra wrote:
>
>> Version of Tomcat is 6.0.035 As <http://6.0.035.As> Tomcat is being
>> shipped
>>
>> with product developed, we are providing command line utility,using the
>> same utility users are of product allow to change the configurable
>> parameters as per application type deployed in tomcat.We are using
>> <utiltity>.vbs as mentioned utility implementation file.Also we are
>> registering tomcat as windows service while product is being installed and
>> command to start tomcat as "cmd.exe /c net start tomcat ".Hoping everyone
>> understood my requirements.
>>
>>  Not really. I think one would need Pid's crystall ball to really
> understand the first part of your message above.  Let me try to dissect it
> however :
>

> > Version of Tomcat is 6.0.035
> Ok, let's say.
>
> As <http://6.0.035.As>
> Huh ?
>

>  Tomcat is being shipped
> > with product developed,
> I think I got that.
>

> > we are providing command line utility,using the
> > same utility users are of product allow to change the configurable
> > parameters as per application type deployed in tomcat.We are using
> > <utiltity>.vbs as mentioned utility implementation file.
>
> Not quite sure I understand what you're talking about here.
> But I gather that you are somehow shipping Tomcat together with some
> unspecified application and some cutely-named script described in some file.
> And that this is under Windows..
> -Yes...you have guessed it correctly.... I am using company owned tool to
> generate separate*.msi packages   one for tomcat bits and another for bits
> for unspecified application.
>
> > Also we are
> > registering tomcat as windows service while product is being installed
>
> Ah. And how exactly are you doing this ?
> - As we are providing our application and tomcat as *.msi packages, we do
> include custom script to register tomcat6.exe in *.msi as postinstall task.

> First, you'd have to tell us /which/ Tomcat package, downloaded from
> where, you are shipping, and how you do this installation.
> Then you'd have to tell us which Java JVM you are also installing
> (presumably).
> And then, tell us /how/ you are doing the registration of Tomcat as a
> Windows Service.
> - I downloaded tomcat bits from  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi,
> using Oracle Java.

   Here is code snippet for registering as Windows service
"%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program
Files\<ProductName>\non<Product>\tomcat\b\bin\tomcat6.exe" --Jvm=auto
--StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
--StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start
--StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop
The above code snippet is run as *.bat and being invoked from *.msi

> > and
> > command to start tomcat as "cmd.exe /c net start tomcat ".
> - As utility.vbs is being included in tomcat package(*.msi) , once tomcat
>  is installed on system, this utility.vbs is placed in
> "C:\Program Files\<ProductName>\non<Product>\tomcat\b\bin\" folder.

   Here is snippet for utility.vbs as
  - WSH_Shell.Run("cmd.exe /c net " & "stop"  &
&chr(34)&Servicename&chr(34),0,True)

 So my question is there way to configure mentioned parameters before
starting tomcat as Windows service.

Thanks & Regards
Geet

Geet Chandra wrote:

>    Here is code snippet for registering as Windows service
> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program
> Files\<ProductName>\non<Product>\tomcat\b\bin\tomcat6.exe" --Jvm=auto
> --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
> --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start
> --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop
> The above code snippet is run as *.bat and being invoked from *.msi
>
>>> and
>>> command to start tomcat as "cmd.exe /c net start tomcat ".
>> - As utility.vbs is being included in tomcat package(*.msi) , once tomcat
>>  is installed on system, this utility.vbs is placed in
>> "C:\Program Files\<ProductName>\non<Product>\tomcat\b\bin\" folder.
>
>    Here is snippet for utility.vbs as
>   - WSH_Shell.Run("cmd.exe /c net " & "stop"  &
> &chr(34)&Servicename&chr(34),0,True)
>
>  So my question is there way to configure mentioned parameters before
> starting tomcat as Windows service.

Ok.

There are different Windows packages for tomcat, different ways to install Tomcat under
Windows, and different ways to run it.  And the answer to your original question is
different in each case. Previously, it was not clear which way you were using.  Now it is.

First, you should consult the Tomcat FAQ, in which there is a whole section about running
under Windows.  More specifically this article :
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11
In that page is a link to the "procrun" software documentation, which you should also read.

This all explains what the above command
 > "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program .....
is, what it does, and how to set the appropriate parameters in the Windows Registry to
achieve what you want to do.

Key points :
- the "-XX" command-line switches are command-line switches for the Java JVM which runs tomcat
- the Windows Service runs the program tomcat(version).exe, which is a wrapper
- the wrapper runs the JVM which runs tomcat
- the wrapper reads its parameters from the Windows Registry, including the command-line
switches that it should pass to the JVM when it starts it
- these Registry parameters are set by the above command
"%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program ....
when you use it to install the service

If this is still not clear, come back here and ask away.

One more note : the JVM command-line switches can vary between different JVM versions.
That's why it is also important to know which JVM version you are using.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM, André Warnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Geet Chandra wrote:

>>>    Here is code snippet for registering as Windows service
>> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program
>> Files\<ProductName>\non<**Product>\tomcat\b\bin\tomcat6.**exe" --Jvm=auto
>> --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
>> --StartClass=org.apache.**catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start
>> --StopClass=org.apache.**catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop
>> The above code snippet is run as *.bat and being invoked from *.msi
>>
>>  and
>>>>
>>> - As utility.vbs is being included in tomcat package(*.msi) , once tomcat
>>>  is installed on system, this utility.vbs is placed in
>>> "C:\Program Files\<ProductName>\non<**Product>\tomcat\b\bin\" folder.
>>>

>>   Here is snippet for utility.vbs as
>>  - WSH_Shell.Run("cmd.exe /c net " & "stop"  &
>> &chr(34)&Servicename&chr(34),**0,True)
>>
>>  So my question is there way to configure mentioned parameters before
>> starting tomcat as Windows service.
>>
>>  Ok.
>
> There are different Windows packages for tomcat, different ways to install
> Tomcat under Windows, and different ways to run it.  And the answer to your
> original question is different in each case. Previously, it was not clear
> which way you were using.  Now it is.
>
> First, you should consult the Tomcat FAQ, in which there is a whole
> section about running under Windows.  More specifically this article :
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/**FAQ/Windows#Q11<http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11>
> In that page is a link to the "procrun" software documentation, which you
> should also read.
>
> This all explains what the above command
> > "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program .....
> is, what it does, and how to set the appropriate parameters in the Windows
> Registry to achieve what you want to do.
>
> Key points :
> - the "-XX" command-line switches are command-line switches for the Java
> JVM which runs tomcat
> - the Windows Service runs the program tomcat(version).exe, which is a
> wrapper
> - the wrapper runs the JVM which runs tomcat
> - the wrapper reads its parameters from the Windows Registry, including
> the command-line switches that it should pass to the JVM when it starts it
> - these Registry parameters are set by the above command
> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program ....
> when you use it to install the service
>
> If this is still not clear, come back here and ask away.
>

> - Thanks André for your valuable insights,

    One more question, I would like to ask,
   Like ""%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions "
Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp" --JvmMs 256 --JvmMx 512 "

 How can I set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms256m -Xmx512m using

Thanks & Regards
Geet

Re: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

Geet Chandra
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM, André Warnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Geet Chandra wrote:

>>>    Here is code snippet for registering as Windows service
>> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program
>> Files\<ProductName>\non<**Product>\tomcat\b\bin\tomcat6.**exe" --Jvm=auto
>> --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
>> --StartClass=org.apache.**catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start
>> --StopClass=org.apache.**catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop
>> The above code snippet is run as *.bat and being invoked from *.msi
>>
>>  and
>>>>
>>> - As utility.vbs is being included in tomcat package(*.msi) , once tomcat
>>>  is installed on system, this utility.vbs is placed in
>>> "C:\Program Files\<ProductName>\non<**Product>\tomcat\b\bin\" folder.
>>>

>>   Here is snippet for utility.vbs as
>>  - WSH_Shell.Run("cmd.exe /c net " & "stop"  &
>> &chr(34)&Servicename&chr(34),**0,True)
>>
>>  So my question is there way to configure mentioned parameters before
>> starting tomcat as Windows service.
>>
>>  Ok.
>
> There are different Windows packages for tomcat, different ways to install
> Tomcat under Windows, and different ways to run it.  And the answer to your
> original question is different in each case. Previously, it was not clear
> which way you were using.  Now it is.
>
> First, you should consult the Tomcat FAQ, in which there is a whole
> section about running under Windows.  More specifically this article :
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/**FAQ/Windows#Q11<http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11>
> In that page is a link to the "procrun" software documentation, which you
> should also read.
>
> This all explains what the above command
> > "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program .....
> is, what it does, and how to set the appropriate parameters in the Windows
> Registry to achieve what you want to do.
>
> Key points :
> - the "-XX" command-line switches are command-line switches for the Java
> JVM which runs tomcat
> - the Windows Service runs the program tomcat(version).exe, which is a
> wrapper
> - the wrapper runs the JVM which runs tomcat
> - the wrapper reads its parameters from the Windows Registry, including
> the command-line switches that it should pass to the JVM when it starts it
> - these Registry parameters are set by the above command
> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program ....
> when you use it to install the service
>
> If this is still not clear, come back here and ask away.

   Could you please tell me how to set

-XX:MaxPermSize=96m  and -XX:PermSize=72m in Window Registry, when I start
tomcat as window service, it should pass these value to JVM.

Can I execute the following command to register

"%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions
"-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp" --JvmMs 256 --JvmMx 512 -XX:MaxPermSize
96m -XX:PermSize=72m

Thanks & Regards
Geet

Re: Info on PermSize and MaxPermSize

André Warnier
Geet Chandra wrote:
..

>     One more question, I would like to ask,
>    Like ""%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions "
> Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp" --JvmMs 256 --JvmMx 512 "
>
>  How can I set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms256m -Xmx512m using
> ""%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions "
> Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp"

I am not sure that I really understand your question.
"JAVA_OPTS" is an environment variable, that can be used in *scripts*, such as for example
when you start Tomcat in a command window by using a .bat script.
But these environment variables are not used when Tomcat runs as a service, under control
of the wrapper program.
In that case, the wrapper picks values out of the Windows Registry, and uses them to
(internally) set the command-line parameters for the JVM, when it starts the JVM.
The "install" command above sets these Registry values, so that (later) the wrapper can
pick them up, when it starts the JVM.

The documentation of procrun is sometimes a bit obscure.
As far as I can tell, in your case, there are 2 ways of specifying the "-XMs" and "-Xmx"
switches for the JVM : you can use *either* of

--JvmMs xxxM  --JvmMx yyyM

OR

++JvmOptions "-Xms...M -Xmx ...M"

..I think..

Geet Chandra wrote:

>>> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program
>>> Files\<ProductName>\non<**Product>\tomcat\b\bin\tomcat6.**exe" --Jvm=auto
>>> --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
>>> --StartClass=org.apache.**catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start
>>> --StopClass=org.apache.**catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop
>>> The above code snippet is run as *.bat and being invoked from *.msi
>>>
>>>  and

>>>   Here is snippet for utility.vbs as
>>>  - WSH_Shell.Run("cmd.exe /c net " & "stop"  &
>>> &chr(34)&Servicename&chr(34),**0,True)
>>>
>>>  So my question is there way to configure mentioned parameters before
>>> starting tomcat as Windows service.
>>>
>>>  Ok.
>> There are different Windows packages for tomcat, different ways to install
>> Tomcat under Windows, and different ways to run it.  And the answer to your
>> original question is different in each case. Previously, it was not clear
>> which way you were using.  Now it is.
>>
>> First, you should consult the Tomcat FAQ, in which there is a whole
>> section about running under Windows.  More specifically this article :
>> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/**FAQ/Windows#Q11<http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11>
>> In that page is a link to the "procrun" software documentation, which you
>> should also read.
>>
>> This all explains what the above command
>>> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program .....
>> is, what it does, and how to set the appropriate parameters in the Windows
>> Registry to achieve what you want to do.
>>
>> Key points :
>> - the "-XX" command-line switches are command-line switches for the Java
>> JVM which runs tomcat
>> - the Windows Service runs the program tomcat(version).exe, which is a
>> wrapper
>> - the wrapper runs the JVM which runs tomcat
>> - the wrapper reads its parameters from the Windows Registry, including
>> the command-line switches that it should pass to the JVM when it starts it
>> - these Registry parameters are set by the above command
>> "%EXECUTABLE%" //IS//%SERVICE_NAME% --Install="C:\Program ....
>> when you use it to install the service
>>
>> If this is still not clear, come back here and ask away.
>>

>    Could you please tell me how to set
>
> -XX:MaxPermSize=96m  and -XX:PermSize=72m in Window Registry, when I start
> tomcat as window service, it should pass these value to JVM.
>
> Can I execute the following command to register
>
> "%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions
> "-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp" --JvmMs 256 --JvmMx 512 -XX:MaxPermSize
> 96m -XX:PermSize=72m

See previous answers.  I think you should not use the --JvmMx and --JvmMs swicthes inside
the ++JvmOptions.  It is either one or the other.

Thanks & Regards
Geet

Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>
> On 3/16/12 7:44 AM, André Warnier wrote:
>> See previous answers.
>
> +1
>
> The procrun page clearly describes how to pass any option directly to
> the JVM.

Yes, it's just a bit confusing because for -XMs and -XMx, there are two ways to pass these
switches (also --Jvm options), but only in "jvm mode" and not in "exe mode".
Though I am bit perplexed at what the "exe mode" might be..