Java and Java 1.5 on same machine

Didier McGillis
How can Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.5 co-exist on one server.  I need to run
Tomcat 55 with Java 1.5 and my development Tomcat with java 1.4.2 on the
same machine.

I have just installed Java 5 and Tomcat 5.5.9 for evaluation and testing
before migrating to the newer versions.  However I only have one test
machine and that is also used for the existing development server and so
therefore has Tomcat 5.0.18 and Java 1.4.2.

Even though I went in to the profile and added JAVA5_HOME and
CATALINA55_HOME and JRE5_HOME, and substituted those in the catalina.sh
file.  When I run startup.sh it will show JRE5_HOME as java1.5... but doing
a ps will show that its actually using java1.4.

Re: Java and Java 1.5 on same machine

Dakota Jack
Just use different ports.

On 5/19/05, Didier McGillis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.5 co-exist on one server.  I need to run
> Tomcat 55 with Java 1.5 and my development Tomcat with java 1.4.2 on the
> same machine.
>
> I have just installed Java 5 and Tomcat 5.5.9 for evaluation and testing
> before migrating to the newer versions.  However I only have one test
> machine and that is also used for the existing development server and so
> therefore has Tomcat 5.0.18 and Java 1.4.2.
>
> Even though I went in to the profile and added JAVA5_HOME and
> CATALINA55_HOME and JRE5_HOME, and substituted those in the catalina.sh
> file.  When I run startup.sh it will show JRE5_HOME as java1.5... but doing
> a ps will show that its actually using java1.4.

~Dakota Jack~

Re: Java and Java 1.5 on same machine

Tim Diggins (Subs)
Hi Didier -

I think it might be better to leave the body of the scripts as they  are
but reassign the environment variables at the beginning of the script
(shell-dependant obviously). You might even (?) want to unset
JAVA_HOME/CATALINA_HOME globally and re-assign it on a script-by-script
basis...

Tim

  --

Dakota Jack wrote:

> Just use different ports.
>
> On 5/19/05, Didier McGillis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>How can Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.5 co-exist on one server.  I need to run
>>Tomcat 55 with Java 1.5 and my development Tomcat with java 1.4.2 on the
>>same machine.
>>
>>I have just installed Java 5 and Tomcat 5.5.9 for evaluation and testing
>>before migrating to the newer versions.  However I only have one test
>>machine and that is also used for the existing development server and so
>>therefore has Tomcat 5.0.18 and Java 1.4.2.
>>
>>Even though I went in to the profile and added JAVA5_HOME and
>>CATALINA55_HOME and JRE5_HOME, and substituted those in the catalina.sh
>>file.  When I run startup.sh it will show JRE5_HOME as java1.5... but doing
>>a ps will show that its actually using java1.4.

Re: Java and Java 1.5 on same machine

Dakota Jack
Don't change the name of the variables but the value.

On 5/19/05, Didier McGillis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.5 co-exist on one server.  I need to run
> Tomcat 55 with Java 1.5 and my development Tomcat with java 1.4.2 on the
> same machine.
>
> I have just installed Java 5 and Tomcat 5.5.9 for evaluation and testing
> before migrating to the newer versions.  However I only have one test
> machine and that is also used for the existing development server and so
> therefore has Tomcat 5.0.18 and Java 1.4.2.
>
> Even though I went in to the profile and added JAVA5_HOME and
> CATALINA55_HOME and JRE5_HOME, and substituted those in the catalina.sh
> file.  When I run startup.sh it will show JRE5_HOME as java1.5... but doing
> a ps will show that its actually using java1.4.

~Dakota Jack~

Re: Java and Java 1.5 on same machine

Didier McGillis
Yep thats what I ended up doing and it works like a charm, just some minor
tweaks and then it should be all good to go.

thanks everyone.