Latest Best Practices for Tomcat Tuning

Louis Zipes-2
Hi Experts,
I know that if you Google 'Tomcat Tuning' you will get some hits  (ex. https://www.mulesoft.com/tcat/tomcat-performance) but  I would like to see if we can have a discussion of best practices for Tomcat tuning from the group of experts here.  Is there an updated top 10 list or something similar or what people have found have greatly helped their performance.   Note that I have looked through the archives but most of the hits I get date back 10 years.

My personal situation is I'm running Tomcat 8.5.x on Windows with a third party application.  Since it is a third party application I feel I can't open up the actual coding itself so I'm left to tune around the margins (ex. Parameters in service.bat, maybe try to switch our odbc.jar to a different one, etc) but maybe I'm wrong.

Basically, is there an updated list of best practices that we can discuss here or is this not the appropriate venue.  I'm looking for a more generic conversation that would benefit all users on this forum and if it helps me personally then of course that is great!

Or is the answer always get the stack dumps and analyze from there.   : )

Thanks in advance

---------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for intended addressee(s) only and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately. Unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Re: Latest Best Practices for Tomcat Tuning

markt
On 22/05/2019 15:36, Louis Zipes wrote:
> Hi Experts,
> I know that if you Google 'Tomcat Tuning' you will get some hits  (ex. https://www.mulesoft.com/tcat/tomcat-performance) but  I would like to see if we can have a discussion of best practices for Tomcat tuning from the group of experts here.  Is there an updated top 10 list or something similar or what people have found have greatly helped their performance.   Note that I have looked through the archives but most of the hits I get date back 10 years.
>
> My personal situation is I'm running Tomcat 8.5.x on Windows with a third party application.  Since it is a third party application I feel I can't open up the actual coding itself so I'm left to tune around the margins (ex. Parameters in service.bat, maybe try to switch our odbc.jar to a different one, etc) but maybe I'm wrong.
>
> Basically, is there an updated list of best practices that we can discuss here or is this not the appropriate venue.  I'm looking for a more generic conversation that would benefit all users on this forum and if it helps me personally then of course that is great!
>
> Or is the answer always get the stack dumps and analyze from there.   : )

I'd start with a profiler. Unless the application is doing something
very strange, I'd be surprised if there was much mileage in Tomcat
specific tuning. Most issues are in the app.

Re: Latest Best Practices for Tomcat Tuning

Olaf Kock
On 22.05.19 16:36, Louis Zipes wrote:
> Hi Experts,
> I know that if you Google 'Tomcat Tuning' you will get some hits  (ex. https://www.mulesoft.com/tcat/tomcat-performance) but  I would like to see if we can have a discussion of best practices for Tomcat tuning from the group of experts here.  Is there an updated top 10 list or something similar or what people have found have greatly helped their performance.   Note that I have looked through the archives but most of the hits I get date back 10 years.
>
> My personal situation is I'm running Tomcat 8.5.x on Windows with a third party application.  Since it is a third party application I feel I can't open up the actual coding itself so I'm left to tune around the margins (ex. Parameters in service.bat, maybe try to switch our odbc.jar to a different one, etc) but maybe I'm wrong.
>
> Basically, is there an updated list of best practices that we can discuss here or is this not the appropriate venue.  I'm looking for a more generic conversation that would benefit all users on this forum and if it helps me personally then of course that is great!
>
> Or is the answer always get the stack dumps and analyze from there.   : )

IMHO the generic answer for tuning problems is always:

(1) Identify the #1 bottleneck
(2) Fix it
(3) Now bottleneck #2 has gotten a promotion: If you still feel the need
to continue tuning, continue at (1)

The bottleneck might be:

# CPU (in which case you might be out of luck with a 3rd party application)
# Memory
# I/O
# Database (a specific case of I/O)
# Network throughput, latency

or anything else, e.g. other backend systems.

Sorry, this is pragmatic, but might not be too helpful. It's the long
form of the consultant's standard answer "it depends".

Olaf