Quantcast

Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Forest Zou
Dear Sir:

I always meet the following stop service problems on Tomcat 5.5.16
(Solaris 10), would you please tell me how to resolve it?

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:24 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
pause

INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:24 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
pause

INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop

INFO: Stopping service Catalina

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
destroy

INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Mar 30, 2006 11:12:26 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
destroy

INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443

Forest Zou

Aicent, INC.

http://www.aicent.com

E-mail:[hidden email]

+86-10-96096210-2410

+86-10-83913176 (fax)

Re: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Markus Schönhaber
Forest Zou wrote:
> I always meet the following stop service problems on Tomcat 5.5.16
> (Solaris 10), would you please tell me how to resolve it?

Mind to tell us what the actual problem *is*?

Regards
  mks

RE: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Forest Zou
Dear,

Tomcat will stop randomly with the following logs.

init properFile
Mar 30, 2006 11:51:10 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80
Mar 30, 2006 11:51:10 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443
Mar 30, 2006 11:51:11 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Mar 30, 2006 11:51:11 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
[...]
Mar 30, 2006 11:51:12 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()
Mar 30, 2006 11:51:12 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()
Mar 30, 2006 11:51:12 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol destroy

Forest Zou wrote:
> Tomcat will stop randomly with the following logs.
>
> init properFile
> Mar 30, 2006 11:51:10 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol pause
> INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80
> Mar 30, 2006 11:51:10 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol pause
> INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443
> Mar 30, 2006 11:51:11 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
> INFO: Stopping service Catalina
[more informational messages snipped]

I've already seen this in your previous posting but I still wouldn't call
informational messages in a log file "problem". This seems pretty normal to
me.

Regards
  mks

RE: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Forest Zou
Dear,

There is no more information before that, Tomcat will stop service randomly, maybe several hours, maybe several minutes.

Forest Zou
Aicent, INC.
http://www.aicent.com
E-mail:[hidden email]
+86-10-96096210-2410
+86-10-83913176 (fax)

Forest Zou wrote:
> There is no more information before that, Tomcat will stop service
> randomly, maybe several hours, maybe several minutes.

Ah, so the problem is Tomcat shutting down unexpectedly without any error
messages but performing a clean shutdown procedure?
I've never seen something like this before so I won't be able to help. But
others who might be able to help will propably at least need to know which
Tomcat version and which Java version you are using, how you start tomcat
(jsvc or shell script) etc.

BTW: You're sure that there's no clown logged in on your machine who randomly
telnets to localhost:8005 and types "SHUTDOWN"?

Regards
  mks

RE: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Forest Zou
Dear,

The tomcat is not stopped completely, but I can not telnet the port 80.
Sure, nobody shutdown it or telnet 8005.
I use JDK 1.5.0_01 on Solaris 10, and Tomcat's version is 5.5.16.
I use bash to startup it by running startup.sh

Forest Zou
Aicent, INC.
http://www.aicent.com
E-mail:[hidden email]
+86-10-96096210-2410
+86-10-83913176 (fax)

> There is no more information before that, Tomcat will stop service
> randomly, maybe several hours, maybe several minutes.

Ah, so the problem is Tomcat shutting down unexpectedly without any error
messages but performing a clean shutdown procedure?
I've never seen something like this before so I won't be able to help. But
others who might be able to help will propably at least need to know which
Tomcat version and which Java version you are using, how you start tomcat
(jsvc or shell script) etc.

BTW: You're sure that there's no clown logged in on your machine who randomly
telnets to localhost:8005 and types "SHUTDOWN"?

Regards
  mks

Re: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80

Leon Rosenberg-3
On 3/30/06, Forest Zou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear,
>
> The tomcat is not stopped completely, but I can not telnet the port 80.
> Sure, nobody shutdown it or telnet 8005.
> I use JDK 1.5.0_01 on Solaris 10, and Tomcat's version is 5.5.16.
> I use bash to startup it by running startup.sh

What do you mean by "not stopped completely"? The java process is
running, but the connector isn't there?

Leon

> Forest Zou
> Aicent, INC.
> http://www.aicent.com
> E-mail:[hidden email]
> +86-10-96096210-2410
> +86-10-83913176 (fax)

When I try to startup tomcat directly, it told me : java.net.BindException: Address already in use:80
But I can not access the website.

Forest Zou
Aicent, INC.
http://www.aicent.com
E-mail:[hidden email]
+86-10-96096210-2410
+86-10-83913176 (fax)

On 3/30/06, Forest Zou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear,
>
> The tomcat is not stopped completely, but I can not telnet the port 80.
> Sure, nobody shutdown it or telnet 8005.
> I use JDK 1.5.0_01 on Solaris 10, and Tomcat's version is 5.5.16.
> I use bash to startup it by running startup.sh

What do you mean by "not stopped completely"? The java process is
running, but the connector isn't there?

Leon

> Forest Zou
> Aicent, INC.
> http://www.aicent.com
> E-mail:[hidden email]
> +86-10-96096210-2410
> +86-10-83913176 (fax)

maybe someone else has better ideas, but i'd suggest you do following:

next time your tomcat crashes/stops,  create a thread dump (kill
-quit) and check whether its really down or hanging or what.

Try to monitor the memory development inside the tomcat and your
webapps. You can print the free/max/totalmemory once a minute into a
logfile and see whether it develops the wrong way.

Check how many threads you set up in the server.xml. Write a java
program which tries to spawn that many threads (or twice the number)
and check whether your os allows it.

Are you using nptl?

Check whether your webapp(s) spawn threads and how many.

Check _all_ logfiles for SEVERE, OutOfMemory and such.

Check whether you have something in a crontab which could start and
try to kill anything at port 80.

Do you have any special firewall/iptables whatever configuration which
could do strange things with the sockets?

Can you reproduce the same behavior on another machine and/or another
tomcat installation?

Do you have a network monitoring? Do you have network problems, like
your interface is buggy or have a physical damage (probably not, but
i'm writing all ideas I currently have).

Change users and/or passwords for users who can access the manager and
admin applications, just in case.

Change shutdown port.

If nothing help try another container :-)

regards
Leon

On 3/30/06, Forest Zou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I try to startup tomcat directly, it told me : java.net.BindException: Address already in use:80
> But I can not access the website.
>
> Forest Zou
> Aicent, INC.
> http://www.aicent.com
> E-mail:[hidden email]
> +86-10-96096210-2410
> +86-10-83913176 (fax)

one more:
rename the shutdown.sh script.

On 3/30/06, Leon Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> maybe someone else has better ideas, but i'd suggest you do following:
>
> next time your tomcat crashes/stops,  create a thread dump (kill
> -quit) and check whether its really down or hanging or what.
>
> Try to monitor the memory development inside the tomcat and your
> webapps. You can print the free/max/totalmemory once a minute into a
> logfile and see whether it develops the wrong way.
>
> Check how many threads you set up in the server.xml. Write a java
> program which tries to spawn that many threads (or twice the number)
> and check whether your os allows it.
>
> Are you using nptl?
>
> Check whether your webapp(s) spawn threads and how many.
>
> Check _all_ logfiles for SEVERE, OutOfMemory and such.
>
> Check whether you have something in a crontab which could start and
> try to kill anything at port 80.
>
> Do you have any special firewall/iptables whatever configuration which
> could do strange things with the sockets?
>
> Can you reproduce the same behavior on another machine and/or another
> tomcat installation?
>
> Do you have a network monitoring? Do you have network problems, like
> your interface is buggy or have a physical damage (probably not, but
> i'm writing all ideas I currently have).
>
> Change users and/or passwords for users who can access the manager and
> admin applications, just in case.
>
> Change shutdown port.
>
> If nothing help try another container :-)
>
> regards
> Leon
>
> On 3/30/06, Forest Zou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > When I try to startup tomcat directly, it told me : java.net.BindException: Address already in use:80
> > But I can not access the website.
> >
> > Forest Zou
> > Aicent, INC.
> > http://www.aicent.com