Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Joel Saunders

All,

I just installed Tomcat 8.5 on RedHat.

The previous tomcat6 install was setup so that I could use the linux service command to start and stop.

              I’d like to take that feature away from the tomcat6 install and add it for the new tomcat85 install.

I’d also like for tomcat85 to be able to autostart upon reboots.

Lastly, I’d like the logs to go to /var/log/tomcat8 if possible.

Can anyone point me to the correct way to accomplish these requirements?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

… Joel

JOEL SAUNDERS

SR. DBA/ARCHITECT, MANAGED SERVICES | Zones, Inc.

W: 518-652-4089| C: 518-265-0771
[hidden email] |
zones.com

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

John Larsen
Setup an init script.
This is similar to how I do it.
https://gist.github.com/katesclau/0ff6e41fd698e94eb43c

John Larsen

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:01 AM Joel Saunders <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> All,
>

> I just installed Tomcat 8.5 on RedHat.
>

> The previous tomcat6 install was setup so that I could use the linux
> service command to start and stop.
>
>               I’d like to take that feature away from the tomcat6 install
> and add it for the new tomcat85 install.
>

> I’d also like for tomcat85 to be able to autostart upon reboots.
>

> Lastly, I’d like the logs to go to /var/log/tomcat8 if possible.
>

> Can anyone point me to the correct way to accomplish these requirements?
>

> Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
>

> … Joel
>

> *JOEL SAUNDERS*
>

> SR. DBA/ARCHITECT, MANAGED SERVICES | Zones, Inc.
>
> W: 518-652-4089| C: 518-265-0771
> [hidden email] | zones.com <https://nfrastructure.com/>
>
> <http://zones.com/>
>

> <https://www.facebook.com/nfrastructure/>
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/nfrastructure/>
> <https://twitter.com/nfrastructure>
> <https://www.youtube.com/user/nfrastructure1992>

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Igal Sapir
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM John Larsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Setup an init script.

On modern Linux systems you should really use systemd instead of the old
init scripts.

I've written in the past a script that can be used as a systemd template,
so it allowed for multiple services to be run on different ports with
different settings.  I can't find it easily ATM though.

I think that it'd be good if Tomcat came with such a script so that it's
easy to install as a systemd service.

Igal

> This is similar to how I do it.
> https://gist.github.com/katesclau/0ff6e41fd698e94eb43c
>
> John Larsen
>

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:01 AM Joel Saunders <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >

> > I just installed Tomcat 8.5 on RedHat.
> >

> > The previous tomcat6 install was setup so that I could use the linux
> > service command to start and stop.
> >
> >               I’d like to take that feature away from the tomcat6 install
> > and add it for the new tomcat85 install.
> >

> > I’d also like for tomcat85 to be able to autostart upon reboots.
> >

> > Lastly, I’d like the logs to go to /var/log/tomcat8 if possible.
> >

> > Can anyone point me to the correct way to accomplish these requirements?
> >

> > Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
> >

> > … Joel
> >

> > *JOEL SAUNDERS*
> >

> > SR. DBA/ARCHITECT, MANAGED SERVICES | Zones, Inc.
> >
> > W: 518-652-4089| C: 518-265-0771
> > [hidden email] | zones.com <https://nfrastructure.com/>
> >
> > <http://zones.com/>
> >

> > <https://www.facebook.com/nfrastructure/>
> > <https://www.linkedin.com/company/nfrastructure/>
> > <https://twitter.com/nfrastructure>
> > <https://www.youtube.com/user/nfrastructure1992>

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

John Larsen
I simply tie systemd with the init script. Our servers host around 20-30
tomcat instances. I found it easier do it this way.

John Larsen

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Igal Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM John Larsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Setup an init script.
> >

> On modern Linux systems you should really use systemd instead of the old
> init scripts.
>
> I've written in the past a script that can be used as a systemd template,
> so it allowed for multiple services to be run on different ports with
> different settings.  I can't find it easily ATM though.
>
> I think that it'd be good if Tomcat came with such a script so that it's
> easy to install as a systemd service.
>
> Igal
>

> > This is similar to how I do it.
> > https://gist.github.com/katesclau/0ff6e41fd698e94eb43c
> >
> > John Larsen
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:01 AM Joel Saunders <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > All,
> > >

> > > I just installed Tomcat 8.5 on RedHat.
> > >

> > > The previous tomcat6 install was setup so that I could use the linux
> > > service command to start and stop.
> > >
> > >               I’d like to take that feature away from the tomcat6
> install
> > > and add it for the new tomcat85 install.
> > >

> > > I’d also like for tomcat85 to be able to autostart upon reboots.
> > >

> > > Lastly, I’d like the logs to go to /var/log/tomcat8 if possible.
> > >

> > > Can anyone point me to the correct way to accomplish these
> requirements?
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
> > >

> > > … Joel
> > >

> > > *JOEL SAUNDERS*
> > >

> > > SR. DBA/ARCHITECT, MANAGED SERVICES | Zones, Inc.
> > >
> > > W: 518-652-4089| C: 518-265-0771
> > > [hidden email] | zones.com <https://nfrastructure.com/>
> > >
> > > <http://zones.com/>
> > >

> > > <https://www.facebook.com/nfrastructure/>
> > > <https://www.linkedin.com/company/nfrastructure/>
> > > <https://twitter.com/nfrastructure>
> > > <https://www.youtube.com/user/nfrastructure1992>

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

John Dale
I'm using init.d and a custom script complete with single command
deploy using git hooks.

git push <remote> master pushes, builds, and  bounces Tomcat. I like
it very much .. building and deploying can be such a pain.

Is systemd something that is available on debian wheezy?

Is init.d going out of style?

I've been using it since .. I can't even remember.  1998 maybe on Fedora?

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM John Larsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I simply tie systemd with the init script. Our servers host around 20-30
> tomcat instances. I found it easier do it this way.

It's easier for you because you're more familiar with the init scripts, but
tying a modern system into an older one just to make it easy is a hack IMO,
and while it can be OK under some circumstances when maintaining an older
system, I would advise strongly against that when setting up a new system.

Igal

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM John Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using init.d and a custom script complete with single command
> deploy using git hooks.
>
> git push <remote> master pushes, builds, and  bounces Tomcat. I like
> it very much .. building and deploying can be such a pain.
>
> Is systemd something that is available on debian wheezy?

It can be enabled on "Wheezy" (Debian 7, c. 2013, these names only add to
the confusion, I had to look it up), but that was the last Debian version
to use init.d.  Debian 8 (Jessie) already came with systemd in 2015 [1].

Is init.d going out of style?

Yes, for the better part of 5 years now.

> I've been using it since .. I can't even remember.  1998 maybe on Fedora?

That might be the issue ;)

Igal

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history#Debian_7_(Wheezy)

> On 1/8/19, John Larsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I simply tie systemd with the init script. Our servers host around 20-30
> > tomcat instances. I found it easier do it this way.
> >

> > John Larsen
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Igal Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> On modern Linux systems you should really use systemd instead of the old
> >> init scripts.
> >>
> >> I've written in the past a script that can be used as a systemd
> template,
> >> so it allowed for multiple services to be run on different ports with
> >> different settings.  I can't find it easily ATM though.
> >>
> >> I think that it'd be good if Tomcat came with such a script so that it's
> >> easy to install as a systemd service.
> >>
> >> Igal

> [hidden email]>

> >> install

> >> requirements?

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

John Dale
Not having an issue, but if I upgrade I will it seems .. booooo!

init.d is so engraved in my neural patterns it will be a shame to have
such a useless deep groove.

I hate the names, too .. that's what happens when you give marketing
people too much leash.  Not only do they seem to forget how to math,
they forget how to number.

:)

On 1/8/19, Igal Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM John Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm using init.d and a custom script complete with single command
>> deploy using git hooks.
>>
>> git push <remote> master pushes, builds, and  bounces Tomcat. I like
>> it very much .. building and deploying can be such a pain.
>>
>> Is systemd something that is available on debian wheezy?
>>

> It can be enabled on "Wheezy" (Debian 7, c. 2013, these names only add to
> the confusion, I had to look it up), but that was the last Debian version
> to use init.d.  Debian 8 (Jessie) already came with systemd in 2015 [1].
>
> Is init.d going out of style?
>>

> Yes, for the better part of 5 years now.
>

>> I've been using it since .. I can't even remember.  1998 maybe on Fedora?
>>

> That might be the issue ;)
>
> Igal
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history#Debian_7_(Wheezy)
>

>> On 1/8/19, John Larsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I simply tie systemd with the init script. Our servers host around
>> > 20-30
>> > tomcat instances. I found it easier do it this way.
>> >

>> > John Larsen

>> template,

>> [hidden email]>

RE: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Joel Saunders
Unfortunately, I inherited this system from someone who hacked it together before he left, so I'm just trying to use a quick/minimal approach.

I think that tomcat6 was setup with the init.d approach and would like to keep v8 similar if at all possible.

I'm not bad with scripting and init stuff, but not that strong as a Linux Admin and all of the options available to Linux Admin/developers.

I do appreciate all of your comments though, but I just want something easy to cut and paste at this time so I can be done with this and get back to my other (also demanding) projects.

Thanks,,

Joel

[1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Debian-5Fversion-5Fhistory-23Debian-5F7-5F-28Wheezy-29&d=DwIFaQ&c=bFSfV3JDZVFjkVdrOg1Bnsgwku-x_EGNRi2KNxwvClI&r=WG-pl0WpwyPk-r6oNnUhsoAUBdVNpC8ryokTG8RkffA&m=uGtSlmXLamNsmi4gn9t69I5ulozMuYWznu3bdceQS3A&s=2LQygApob8_-Xjdffqqj3RI6PQE_6kvv-DI928BXDYs&e=

> On 1/8/19, John Larsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I simply tie systemd with the init script. Our servers host around 20-30
> > tomcat instances. I found it easier do it this way.
> >

> > John Larsen
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Igal Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> On modern Linux systems you should really use systemd instead of the old
> >> init scripts.
> >>
> >> I've written in the past a script that can be used as a systemd
> template,
> >> so it allowed for multiple services to be run on different ports with
> >> different settings.  I can't find it easily ATM though.
> >>
> >> I think that it'd be good if Tomcat came with such a script so that it's
> >> easy to install as a systemd service.
> >>
> >> Igal

> [hidden email]>

> >> install

> >> requirements?

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Roger Marquis
Igal Sapir wrote:
John Larsen wrote:
>> Setup an init script.
> On modern Linux systems you should really use systemd instead of the old
> init scripts.

Depends on your definition of modern.  Most Docker containers, many
versions of Linux and all versions of Unix use init scripts.  Docker at
least is modern in most uses of the term.  It is also a platform whose
market share has been growing at least in part due to most container's
lack of systemd.  Systemd also supports init scripts last I checked.
Don't know about anyone else but I value cross-platform compatibility.

Joel Saunders wrote:
> Lastly, I'd like the logs to go to /var/log/tomcat8 if possible.

This is something I'd like to see changed in Tomcat.  Would also be good
for cross-platform compatibility.  /var is meant to be mutable and
/var/log is meant for logs.  That's why nearly all software packages
write logs there.  Would save many hassles and provisioning issues if
Tomcat (dist and packages) created /var/log/tomcat and, if necessary,
symlinked $TOMCAT_HOME/logs.  At least that way you could be assured of
not having an unwritable log directory.

Roger Marquis