Protocol handler start failed

Didier McGillis
Tried to google, didnt find anything useful.  What happens is that at some
point the site becomes unresponsive and so I restart and that is when I get
this error, now I dont know of any other apps running on port 8080 so not
sure why 8080 is already in use. Any thoughts?

SEVERE: Catalina.start:
LifecycleException:  service.getName(): "Catalina";  Protocol handler start
failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080

Re: Protocol handler start failed

alexandre heimburger
try ps -ef | grep tomcat to find and kill other instances of a running
server.

Otherwise you have maybe another application server which is listening
for 8080 port.

Alheim

Didier McGillis a écrit :

> Tried to google, didnt find anything useful.  What happens is that at
> some point the site becomes unresponsive and so I restart and that is
> when I get this error, now I dont know of any other apps running on
> port 8080 so not sure why 8080 is already in use. Any thoughts?
>
> SEVERE: Catalina.start:
> LifecycleException:  service.getName(): "Catalina";  Protocol handler
> start failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080

RE: Protocol handler start failed

Didier McGillis
I think I see what the problem is

>From: "Didier McGillis" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Protocol handler start failed
>Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:29:31 +0000
>
>Tried to google, didnt find anything useful.  What happens is that at some
>point the site becomes unresponsive and so I restart and that is when I get
>this error, now I dont know of any other apps running on port 8080 so not
>sure why 8080 is already in use. Any thoughts?
>
>SEVERE: Catalina.start:
>LifecycleException:  service.getName(): "Catalina";  Protocol handler start
>failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080

RE: Protocol handler start failed

Didier McGillis
Nevermind thats not it I have jdk1.5.0_06 but for some reason when I do java
-version I get

java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

>From: "Didier McGillis" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: RE: Protocol handler start failed
>Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:38:01 +0000
>
>I think I see what the problem is
>

>>From: "Didier McGillis" <[hidden email]>
>>To: [hidden email]
>>Subject: Protocol handler start failed
>>Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:29:31 +0000
>>
>>Tried to google, didnt find anything useful.  What happens is that at some
>>point the site becomes unresponsive and so I restart and that is when I
>>get this error, now I dont know of any other apps running on port 8080 so
>>not sure why 8080 is already in use. Any thoughts?
>>
>>SEVERE: Catalina.start:
>>LifecycleException:  service.getName(): "Catalina";  Protocol handler
>>start failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080

RE: Protocol handler start failed

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Didier McGillis [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: RE: Protocol handler start failed
>
> Nevermind thats not it I have jdk1.5.0_06 but for some reason
> when I do java -version I get
>
> java version "1.4.2"
> gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)

So you're denying the evidence in front of you?  You apparently do _not_
have the 1.5 JDK installed as the default JVM.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Protocol handler start failed

Didier McGillis
I have since removed the older java installed as part of the base system and
put in a symbolic link to 1.5 JDK.