Re: Configuring Separate Instances Using CATALINA_BASE

Re: Configuring Separate Instances Using CATALINA_BASE

Billw
Peter,
thanks for your tomcat instance (Catalina_base) installation process. It
has been very helpful,
but  I have couple of questions (interleaved with your information, below).

> Hey Bill,
>
> here my simple catalina.base installation description:
>
> install jakarta-tomcat-5.5.x
> mkdir node1
> cd node1
> mkdir bin conf temp logs webapps work
> cd bin

Since what follows, edits the startup scripts, I presume the above steps
included
a copy of $CATALINA_HOME/bin/ contents to node1/bin/

> # windows
>
> edit startup.bat
> set CATALINA_BASE=..
> set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> set CATALINA_OPTS=-server -[hidden email]@m -[hidden email]@m
> "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" run %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>
> edit shutdown.bat
> set CATALINA_BASE=..
> set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" stop %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>
> # unix
> edit startup.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> export CATALINA_BASE=..
> export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
> export CATALINA_OPTS=-server -[hidden email]@m -[hidden email]@m
> exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run "$@"

the following should be edit shutdown.sh, right?

> edit startup.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> export CATALINA_BASE=..
> export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
> exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh stop "$@"

> # unix cd ../conf and use cp
> cd ..\conf
> copy @catalina.home@\conf/\server-minimal.xml server.xml
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\web.xml
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\tomcat-users.xml
> # only tomat 5.5
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\context.xml
> # optional
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.policy
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.properties
> mkdir Catalina\localhost
> # install manager app that reference the app inside catalina.home
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml

The above step of copying manager.xml (which is an xml fragment defining
a tomcat context)
raises a couple of questions:
1. Should we also copy admin.xml ? (we assign its security role to a
user below)
2. Having our tomcat instance use the manager and admin files in
$CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps
means that those apps will be shared by all tomcat instances on a given
host. This seems unsafe.

If multiple instances need to use manager and/or admin, I assume we
should copy these apps into our new
instance (node1/webapps/ in this case) and adjust the the context
definitions in node1/con/Catalina/local host
accordingly.

> edit tomcat-users.xml
> # add
>  <role rolename="manager"/>
>  <role rolename="admin"/>
>  <user username="manager" password="tomcat" roles="manager,admin"/>
>
> edit server.xml
> # change ports or at your special server.xml config elements
> cd ..\bin
> startup
> # Tomcat works
> # install you apps with copy to webapps or with manager app

Re: Configuring Separate Instances Using CATALINA_BASE

Peter Roßbach
Hey Bill,

Bill Winspur schrieb:

> Peter,
> thanks for your tomcat instance (Catalina_base) installation process.
> It has been very helpful,
> but  I have couple of questions (interleaved with your information,
> below).
>
>> Hey Bill,
>>
>> here my simple catalina.base installation description:
>>
>> install jakarta-tomcat-5.5.x
>> mkdir node1
>> cd node1
>> mkdir bin conf temp logs webapps work
>> cd bin
>>
> Since what follows, edits the startup scripts, I presume the above
> steps included
> a copy of $CATALINA_HOME/bin/ contents to node1/bin/

No, you only reference the catalina.sh|bat script. You don't need a copy.

>> # windows
>>
>> edit startup.bat
>> set CATALINA_BASE=..
>> set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
>> set CATALINA_OPTS=-server -[hidden email]@m -[hidden email]@m
>> "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" run %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>>
>> edit shutdown.bat
>> set CATALINA_BASE=..
>> set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
>> "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" stop %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>>
>> # unix
>> edit startup.sh
>> #!/bin/sh
>> export CATALINA_BASE=..
>> export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
>> export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
>> export CATALINA_OPTS=-server -[hidden email]@m -[hidden email]@m
>> exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run "$@"
>

> the following should be edit shutdown.sh, right?

Sorry a copy/paste failure! Hups!

>> edit startup.sh
>> #!/bin/sh
>> export CATALINA_BASE=..
>> export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
>> export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
>> exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh stop "$@"
>

>> # unix cd ../conf and use cp
>> cd ..\conf
>> copy @catalina.home@\conf/\server-minimal.xml server.xml
>> copy @catalina.home@\conf\web.xml
>> copy @catalina.home@\conf\tomcat-users.xml
>> # only tomat 5.5
>> copy @catalina.home@\conf\context.xml
>> # optional
>> copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.policy
>> copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.properties
>> mkdir Catalina\localhost
>> # install manager app that reference the app inside catalina.home
>> copy @catalina.home@\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml
>

> The above step of copying manager.xml (which is an xml fragment
> defining a tomcat context)
> raises a couple of questions:
> 1. Should we also copy admin.xml ? (we assign its security role to a
> user below)

Yes, look inside the xml context definition a you see that we used
directly the ${catalina.home} env variable.
It is a trick. You can used every env (-Dvariable} inside server.xml and
all context.xml's.
At Tomcat 5.5 you must install the separate admin package at you
jakarta-tomcat.5.5.9 directory.

> 2. Having our tomcat instance use the manager and admin files in
> $CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps
> means that those apps will be shared by all tomcat instances on a
> given host. This seems unsafe.

Why, it is unsafe? Every Host has is't own instance copy and nothing is
shared at runtime!
It is only a reuse of the classes files and resources.

> If multiple instances need to use manager and/or admin, I assume we
> should copy these apps into our new
> instance (node1/webapps/ in this case) and adjust the the context
> definitions in node1/con/Catalina/local host
> accordingly.

No, you can reference the release app versions is better. When you
switch the tomcat release,
 you also used the newest manager and admin release without your
intervention.