Re: Users being logged out

Lutz Zetzsche
Hi Michol,

Am Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2005 22:49 schrieb Murray, Michol:
> After I finish committing my changes for creating a user using the
> Tomcat Web server administration tool, if I have users logged in to
> my site I notice that all the users are logged out. What would cause
> this?

Do you use the tomcat-users.xml als realm?

In this case, the solution is very simple:

"When Tomcat first starts up, it loads all defined users and their
associated information from the users file. Changes to the data in this
file will not be recognized until Tomcat is restarted."
-> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/realm-howto.html

The administration tool restarts the server after you have made a change
to the tomcat-users.xml file. Therefore all sessions and login
information are lost.

However, you can circumvent the problem if you change to a different
realm. If you use a MySQL database for example, the server doesn't need
a restart after you have made changes to the roles and resp. or users,
because it doesn't cache the information but always gets it in realtime
for the database.

Best wishes

Lutz

RE: Users being logged out

Murray, Michol
Is there a way to stop the administration tool from restarting?