Recent Tomcat crash produced error messages I've never seen before

Recent Tomcat crash produced error messages I've never seen before

James H. H. Lampert
We had a Tomcat crash on a customer box, a few hours ago (a simple
restart got them back up and running), and it produced a whole bunch of
errors in the general vein of
> *** Invalid JIT return address 00000006E2E2E400 in 00000001A83C5210

before finally failing with a null pointer exception, and producing a
Java dump, a Snap dump, and a JIT dump, all over the course of a couple
of seconds.

Prior to that, our webapp was having a great deal of trouble accessing
Office365.

Other than that it's almost certainly our webapp, rather than Tomcat
itself, that caused the "Invalid JIT return address" messages, does
anybody here have any insights? I've literally never seen messages of
this type before.

--
JHHL

Re: Recent Tomcat crash produced error messages I've never seen before

Christopher Schultz-2
James,

On 10/20/20 13:35, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> We had a Tomcat crash on a customer box, a few hours ago (a simple
> restart got them back up and running), and it produced a whole bunch of
> errors in the general vein of
>>
>> *** Invalid JIT return address 00000006E2E2E400 in 00000001A83C5210

Yikes.

> before finally failing with a null pointer exception, and producing a
> Java dump, a Snap dump, and a JIT dump, all over the course of a couple
> of seconds.
>
> Prior to that, our webapp was having a great deal of trouble accessing
> Office365.

Via HTTP(S) or via some native API?

> Other than that it's almost certainly our webapp, rather than Tomcat
> itself, that caused the "Invalid JIT return address" messages, does
> anybody here have any insights? I've literally never seen messages of
> this type before.

It's more likely to be a JVM bug than anything in your code.
Theoretically, it should not be possible to cause a JVM to crash with
pure Java code.

Re: Recent Tomcat crash produced error messages I've never seen before

James H. H. Lampert
> Theoretically, it should not be possible to cause a JVM to crash with
> pure Java code.

Thanks.

Of course, we all know that while theory and practice are the same in
theory, they aren't always in practice. ;-P

On 10/20/20 16:39, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> On 10/20/20 1:26 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Theoretically, it should not be possible to cause a JVM to crash with
>> pure Java code.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Of course, we all know that while theory and practice are the same in
> theory, they aren't always in practice. ;-P

Exactly. But my point is that if your Java code is causing the JVM to
crash, it's not your Java code's fault.