Reg: Jars under web-inf lib being accessed by tomcat even when the application is not running.

Reg: Jars under web-inf lib being accessed by tomcat even when the application is not running.

Jalaj Asher
We have a situation where in we are seeing with tomcat 8.5 and higher that even when the application is not in use , tomcat is accessing different jars in that  web-inf/ lib folder every few seconds or few minutes.

These jars are not getting loaded in memory , we profiled it to check if they were getting loaded in the heap or the metaspace area but that was not the case.

When I ran the lsof command though I could see that multiple jars were being accessed (read) from that folder very frequently, with no application usage.

Any reason or any setting that you are aware off that could be causing this. I did enable the all setting for localhost under logging properties as well as the below option

org.apache.tomcat.util.http = ALL

but none shows the files being accessed unless I run the LSOF command on linux. I am not sure why is tomcat reading those files multiple times in a minute.

Also wanted to see if there is a setting to switch off this behavior.

Regards

Jalaj

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: This transmission contains confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. Thank you.

Re: Reg: Jars under web-inf lib being accessed by tomcat even when the application is not running.

markt
On 18/01/2021 16:13, Jalaj Asher wrote:
> We have a situation where in we are seeing with tomcat 8.5 and higher that even when the application is not in use , tomcat is accessing different jars in that  web-inf/ lib folder every few seconds or few minutes.
>
> These jars are not getting loaded in memory , we profiled it to check if they were getting loaded in the heap or the metaspace area but that was not the case.

Try using the profiler to trace method calls. Looking at calls that
involve File and/or FileInputStream should point you in the right direction.

A clean Tomcat install won't behave in the way you describe.

Mark

> When I ran the lsof command though I could see that multiple jars were being accessed (read) from that folder very frequently, with no application usage.
>
> Any reason or any setting that you are aware off that could be causing this. I did enable the all setting for localhost under logging properties as well as the below option
>
> org.apache.tomcat.util.http = ALL
>

> but none shows the files being accessed unless I run the LSOF command on linux. I am not sure why is tomcat reading those files multiple times in a minute.
>
> Also wanted to see if there is a setting to switch off this behavior.
>
> Regards
>
> Jalaj
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: This transmission contains confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. Thank you.

Re: Reg: Jars under web-inf lib being accessed by tomcat even when the application is not running.

Jalaj,

On 1/18/21 11:13, Jalaj Asher wrote:

> We have a situation where in we are seeing with tomcat 8.5 and higher that even when the application is not in use , tomcat is accessing different jars in that  web-inf/ lib folder every few seconds or few minutes.
>
> These jars are not getting loaded in memory , we profiled it to check if they were getting loaded in the heap or the metaspace area but that was not the case.
>
> When I ran the lsof command though I could see that multiple jars were being accessed (read) from that folder very frequently, with no application usage.
>
> Any reason or any setting that you are aware off that could be causing this. I did enable the all setting for localhost under logging properties as well as the below option
>
> org.apache.tomcat.util.http = ALL
>

> but none shows the files being accessed unless I run the LSOF command on linux. I am not sure why is tomcat reading those files multiple times in a minute.
>
> Also wanted to see if there is a setting to switch off this behavior.

Is your application reloadable? Does the file-access timing you are
observing line-up with the background processor's interval?

RE: Reg: Jars under web-inf lib being accessed by tomcat even when the application is not running.

Jalaj Asher
Chris,
Yes the auto deploy is set to false in our environment. I am not sure which background processor are you referring to ? if you can share that info I can check on it.

Attention: This email was sent from someone outside of eClinicalWorks. Always use caution when opening attachments or clicking links from unknown senders or when receiving unexpected emails.

Jalaj,

On 1/18/21 11:13, Jalaj Asher wrote:

> We have a situation where in we are seeing with tomcat 8.5 and higher that even when the application is not in use , tomcat is accessing different jars in that  web-inf/ lib folder every few seconds or few minutes.
>
> These jars are not getting loaded in memory , we profiled it to check if they were getting loaded in the heap or the metaspace area but that was not the case.
>
> When I ran the lsof command though I could see that multiple jars were being accessed (read) from that folder very frequently, with no application usage.
>
> Any reason or any setting that you are aware off that could be causing
> this. I did enable the all setting for localhost under logging
> properties as well as the below option
>
> org.apache.tomcat.util.http = ALL
>

> but none shows the files being accessed unless I run the LSOF command on linux. I am not sure why is tomcat reading those files multiple times in a minute.
>
> Also wanted to see if there is a setting to switch off this behavior.

Is your application reloadable? Does the file-access timing you are observing line-up with the background processor's interval?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: This transmission contains confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. Thank you.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: This transmission contains confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. Thank you.

Re: Reg: Jars under web-inf lib being accessed by tomcat even when the application is not running.

Christopher Schultz-2
Jalaj,

On 1/19/21 14:34, Jalaj Asher wrote:
> Yes the auto deploy is set to false in our environment.
How about auto-reload for the application? auto-deploy is a property of
the host, not the application (context).

> I am not sure which background processor are you referring to ? if
> you can share that info I can check on it.
Tomcat runs a background processing thread that allows various
components (e.g. engine, context, etc.) to perform background tasks. One
such task is checking for file-updates that may trigger a reload. These
checks are skipped when auto-reload is disabled.

lsof usually shows a snapshot of file handles. How are you determining
that Tomcat is /repeatedly/ opening files and not just keeping them open?

Hi Chris,
We have not set the autoreload setting at all. I believe by default its set to false. Please correct me if that’s not the case. Also manager is disabled in our environment.

I used the watch command along with lsof highlighted below .

Watch "lsof <directorypath>/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar"

Jalaj

On 1/22/21 11:39, Jalaj Asher wrote:
> We have not set the autoreload setting at all. I believe by default
> its set to false. Please correct me if that’s not the case. Also
> manager is disabled in our environment.
>
> I used the watch command along with lsof highlighted below .
>
> Watch "lsof <directorypath>/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar"
Are you seeing the files *reopened* over and over again? Or are you just
seeing them opened and kept open?

The files are being reopened and then closed and then again reopened.

Regards

Jalaj P Asher

On 1/22/21 13:50, Jalaj Asher wrote:
> The files are being reopened and then closed and then again reopened.

Sounds fishy.

Can you post as much of your conf/server.xml, conf/context.xml, and your
application's META-INF/context.xml files as you can?