Remote address filter for host Alias

Patricio Keilty-2
Hi,
I need to restrict access to my webapp to some IP adresses on a per-domain name
basis. In our tomcat server we are using an <Alias/> element to serve both
domains from same host as the following config shows:

<Host name="www.mydomain.com"  ...... >
        <Alias>www-i.mydomain.com</Alias>
        <Context path="" docBase="" debug="0" ..... />
</Host>

Is it possible to use a RemoteAddrValve for each domain, each which different IP
address sets? Using RemoteAddrValve as <Host/> subelement won't work, as will
apply to both, any suggestions?

Thanks,
--p

Re: Remote address filter for host Alias

pulkitsinghal
> Using RemoteAddrValve as <Host/> subelement won't work, as will
>apply to both, any suggestions?

Why not just do:

<Host name="www.mydomain.com"  ...... >
<Host name="www-i.mydomain.com <http://www.mydomain.com/>"  ...... >
       <Context path="" docBase="" debug="0" ..... />
</Host>

Ofcourse I'm pretty new to this so you might see some cons to this :)

Cheers,
- Pulkit

Pulkit Singhal <pulkitsinghal <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Using RemoteAddrValve as <Host/> subelement won't work, as will
> >apply to both, any suggestions?
>
> Why not just do:
>
> <Host name="www.mydomain.com"  ...... >
>        <Context path="" docBase="" debug="0" ..... />
> </Host>
> <Host name="www-i.mydomain.com <http://www.mydomain.com/>"  ...... >
>        <Context path="" docBase="" debug="0" ..... />
> </Host>

Pulkit,
that option is not possible since both domains are served by just one instance
of the application, that is one Host, that´s the motivation behind using
<Alias/> in first place.

I have managed to create a Tomcat Valve similar to RemoteAddrValve, which
instead of obtaining just remote ip addr, it also gets the server name, making
possible to use this kind of pattern in the valve allow atribute:

   <Valve class=".....myValve"
allow="www-i.mydomain.com/192.168.*.*,www.mydomain.com/10.146.*.*" />

--p