RemoteAddrValve | IP Subnet

Madhur Khurana
Hi,

I am using tomcat8 and would like to configure ip address with subnet in RemoteAddrValve for IP whitelisting (Example: 0.0.0.0/0). Can anyone help in how to configure subnet in allow field.

Thanks,
Madhur

Please refer to http://www.aricent.com/email-disclaimer
for important disclosures regarding this electronic communication.

Re: RemoteAddrValve | IP Subnet

André Warnier (tomcat)
On 01.11.2018 12:35, Madhur Khurana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using tomcat8 and would like to configure ip address with subnet in RemoteAddrValve for IP whitelisting (Example: 0.0.0.0/0). Can anyone help in how to configure subnet in allow field.

The page at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Valve
looks pretty easy to understand.

Example 1 provides the syntax you are looking for.

By combining "allow" and "deny" attributes with the appropriate regular expressions, you
can allow or deny access (aka whitelist or blacklist) from any range of client IP addresses.
Without a precise indication of which IP addresses/subnets you want to "whitelist", there
is not much else anyone here can tell you.

Is it (a) the "regular expression" part that you are having problems with, or (b) the IP
address format, or (c) the definition of a "subnet", or .. ?

For (a), see for example :
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/JavaRegularExpressions/article.html
For (b) and (c), start perhaps here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork

Re: RemoteAddrValve | IP Subnet

markt
On 01/11/2018 12:23, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:

> On 01.11.2018 12:35, Madhur Khurana wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using tomcat8 and would like to configure ip address with subnet
>> in RemoteAddrValve for IP whitelisting (Example: 0.0.0.0/0). Can
>> anyone help in how to configure subnet in allow field.
>>

> The page at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Valve
> looks pretty easy to understand.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_CIDR_Valve

might be a better match for what the OP is looking for.

Mark

On 01.11.2018 13:34, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 01/11/2018 12:23, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
>> On 01.11.2018 12:35, Madhur Khurana wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using tomcat8 and would like to configure ip address with subnet
>>> in RemoteAddrValve for IP whitelisting (Example: 0.0.0.0/0). Can
>>> anyone help in how to configure subnet in allow field.
>>>

>> The page at
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Valve
>> looks pretty easy to understand.
>
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_CIDR_Valve
>
> might be a better match for what the OP is looking for.

With a slight critic of that section though : it states "This valve mimicks Apache's
Order, Allow from and Deny from directives..".
That was Apache httpd up to 2.2, which is end-of-life since 2018/01/01.
Apache httpd 2.4 (the current version) has changed that syntax (and the underlying logic)
quite a bit, and Order, Allow/Deny are now deprecated and replaced by
Require [not] IP
(with a wide variety of expressions for IP)
See https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authz_host.html

Iow, the reference to "Apache" might best be removed, lest it confuses more than
enlightens the casual reader.

On 11/1/18 09:23, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:

> On 01.11.2018 13:34, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> The page at
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Add
ress_Valve

looks pretty easy to understand.

>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_CID
R_Valve

might be a better match for what the OP is looking for.

> With a slight critic of that section though : it states "This
> valve mimicks Apache's Order, Allow from and Deny from
> directives..". That was Apache httpd up to 2.2, which is
> end-of-life since 2018/01/01. Apache httpd 2.4 (the current
> version) has changed that syntax (and the underlying logic) quite a
> bit, and Order, Allow/Deny are now deprecated and replaced by
> Require [not] IP (with a wide variety of expressions for IP) See
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authz_host.html
>
> Iow, the reference to "Apache" might best be removed, lest it
> confuses more than enlightens the casual reader.

Perhaps. Why not just patch it, then? ;)