Some functions not working when using a particular dns after tomcat upgrade from 6.x to 8.5.x

Some functions not working when using a particular dns after tomcat upgrade from 6.x to 8.5.x

Larvi Boy
Hi,

When I try to login to out web gui via direct link, it is working fine but
when I used the dns url, for first time it works fine as for the first time
we are redirected to our login page which redirects us back to my direct
link, but if we create another window with same dns link, some buttons in
the jsp are not working. We cleared the cache but didn't help.

I checked the application logs but there were no logs for the actions that
should occur after click and I checked tomcat catalina.out and localhost
logs and there is no error there.

We have 2 dns urls but we are not facing this issue with the other dns url.

Can you please help me on this.

Please ask if more information is needed.

Thanks,

Larvi

Re: Some functions not working when using a particular dns after tomcat upgrade from 6.x to 8.5.x

Christopher Schultz-2
Larvi,

On 9/28/20 10:04, Larvi Boy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I try to login to out web gui via direct link, it is working fine but
> when I used the dns url, for first time it works fine as for the first time
> we are redirected to our login page which redirects us back to my direct
> link, but if we create another window with same dns link, some buttons in
> the jsp are not working. We cleared the cache but didn't help.
>
> I checked the application logs but there were no logs for the actions that
> should occur after click and I checked tomcat catalina.out and localhost
> logs and there is no error there.
>
> We have 2 dns urls but we are not facing this issue with the other dns url.
>
> Can you please help me on this.
>
> Please ask if more information is needed.

Can you give some examples? What happens if you:

$ host [hostname]

Do you get the same IP address that you are trying to use?

Please post your <Engine> and <Host> configuration from server.xml.
Remove any secrets you may have in there.

Re: Some functions not working when using a particular dns after tomcat upgrade from 6.x to 8.5.x

Larvi Boy
Hi Chris,

Yes, When I did $ host [hostname], I get the IP address that I am trying to
use.

Below are the Engine and Host configurations from server.xml.

      <!--For clustering, please take a look at documentation at:
          /docs/cluster-howto.html  (simple how to)
          /docs/config/cluster.html (reference documentation) -->
      <!--
      <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"/>
      -->

      <!-- Use the LockOutRealm to prevent attempts to guess user passwords
           via a brute-force attack -->
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm">
        <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
             resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
             that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
             available for use by the Realm.  -->
               resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      </Realm>

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

        <!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web
applications
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
        -->

        <!-- Access log processes all example.
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html
             Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using pattern="common"
-->
directory="logs"
               prefix="localhost_access_log" suffix=".txt"
               pattern="%v %h %l %S %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />

      </Host>
    </Engine>

Larvi

Re: Some functions not working when using a particular dns after tomcat upgrade from 6.x to 8.5.x

Larvi Boy
Hi Chris, All,

Can you please help me with this.

Thanks,
Larvi

On 10/6/20 03:28, Larvi wrote:
> Can you please help me with this.

Can you give some examples? It's not easy to understand what you are
doing and what is happening to you.

-chris

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM Larvi Boy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Yes, When I did $ host [hostname], I get the IP address that I am trying
>> to use.
>>
>> Below are the Engine and Host configurations from server.xml.
>>
>> <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">
>>
>>       <!--For clustering, please take a look at documentation at:
>>           /docs/cluster-howto.html  (simple how to)
>>           /docs/config/cluster.html (reference documentation) -->
>>       <!--
>>       <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"/>
>>       -->
>>
>>       <!-- Use the LockOutRealm to prevent attempts to guess user passwords
>>            via a brute-force attack -->
>>       <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm">
>>         <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
>>              resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
>>              that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
>>              available for use by the Realm.  -->
>>         <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
>>                resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
>>       </Realm>
>>
>>       <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>>             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
>>
>>         <!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web
>> applications
>>              Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
>>         <!--
>>         <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
>> />
>>         -->
>>
>>         <!-- Access log processes all example.
>>              Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html
>>              Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using
>> pattern="common" -->
>>         <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
>> directory="logs"
>>                prefix="localhost_access_log" suffix=".txt"
>>                pattern="%v %h %l %S %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />
>>
>>       </Host>
>>     </Engine>

>>> but
>>> time
>>> direct
>>> in

>>> that
>>> localhost

>>> url.

> Thanks,
> Larvi

Re: Some functions not working when using a particular dns after tomcat upgrade from 6.x to 8.5.x

Larvi Boy
Chris,

I know this issue is strange and I too dont know what exactly is going on,
for now I am only able to replicate this issue and find a workaround for
this, so let me explain how I am able to replicate this issue.

Case 1:
When I login to the application using the dns for the first time it works
fine as for the first time we redirect to another login application that
after authentication redirect us to our direct url( which works fine). But
when I open the application again using the same dns url it picks up data
from cookies and some of the functionality does not work.

Case 2:
When I login to another application which uses the same login application
as I use, and then open our application from the dns url then this issue
occurs.

I would also like to add that when I use the other dns url for the same
application it works fine for both the cases I mentioned above. And we
tried to clear our browser cache, cookies and also tomcat's
work/Catalina/localhost directories then rebouncing the tomcat. But we
still are having this issue.

Thanks,
Larvi

On 10/6/20 14:36, Larvi wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I know this issue is strange and I too dont know what exactly is going on,
> for now I am only able to replicate this issue and find a workaround for
> this, so let me explain how I am able to replicate this issue.
>
> Case 1:
> When I login to the application using the dns for the first time it works
> fine

What does "login to the application using the dns" mean?

I usually use something like username+password to login to an application.

> as for the first time we redirect to another login application that
> after authentication redirect us to our direct url( which works fine).

So... single-sign-on or something like that?

What application / API / technology are you using for this
authentication hand-off?

> But when I open the application again using the same dns url it picks
> up data from cookies and some of the functionality does not work.

Which cookies?

> Case 2:
> When I login to another application which uses the same login application
> as I use, and then open our application from the dns url then this issue
> occurs.
>
> I would also like to add that when I use the other dns url

What "other dns url"? Please be very specific.

> for the same application it works fine for both the cases I mentioned
> above. And we tried to clear our browser cache, cookies and also
> tomcat's work/Catalina/localhost directories then rebouncing the
> tomcat. But we still are having this issue.
Cookies are usually only sent by the browser if everything matches.

Try showing the developer console in your web browser and going through
the login process. Check each request for request and response headers,
checking to see that the cookies and other stuff you expect are in
there. Also look at the "console", as you might see some warnings.

I'm specifically thinking of an incorrect "samesite" cookie configuration.

-chris