TC native proposal

markt
I've been thinking about the responses to the recent tc-native - ALPN -
HTTP/2 - Tomcat 9 thread [1]. I've also been looking at how tc-native
currently pulls in the Java source and our previous discussions on how
that is organised (e.g. [2], [3], [4]).

While I think there are better ways to handle the Java side of
tc-native, right now I'd rather put my effort into HTTP/2 support.

Therefore, I'd like to make the following proposal:

1. Update tc-native trunk to use Java sources from tomcat/trunk (9.0.x)
2. Update tc-native 1.1.x to use Java sources from 8.0.x/trunk
3. Ensure 7.0.x/trunk and 6.0.x/trunk have identical Java sources to
8.0.x/trunk (but not adding new classes like SSLExt if not already present).
4. Deprecate the SSLExt and socket.* classes
5. Have tc-native trunk depend on OpenSSL 1.0.2
6. In tc-native trunk add support for ALPN to SSLContext

[1] http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/b2ubilnny36lbxha
[2] http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/3oksxa4izkiqwjn4
[3] http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/dxskexh77tts4h5i
[4] http://markmail.org/thread/hmzz4vdbjlejjhsb

Re: TC native proposal

markt
On 07/04/2015 09:58, Mark Thomas wrote:

> I've been thinking about the responses to the recent tc-native - ALPN -
> HTTP/2 - Tomcat 9 thread [1]. I've also been looking at how tc-native
> currently pulls in the Java source and our previous discussions on how
> that is organised (e.g. [2], [3], [4]).
>
> While I think there are better ways to handle the Java side of
> tc-native, right now I'd rather put my effort into HTTP/2 support.
>
> Therefore, I'd like to make the following proposal:
>
> 1. Update tc-native trunk to use Java sources from tomcat/trunk (9.0.x)
> 2. Update tc-native 1.1.x to use Java sources from 8.0.x/trunk

Ah. Change of plan since tc-native 1.1.x doesn't include SSLExt etc so
we have never released a version of tc-native where these are working.

> 3. Ensure 7.0.x/trunk and 6.0.x/trunk have identical Java sources to
> 8.0.x/trunk (but not adding new classes like SSLExt if not already present).

... and ensure that the Java classes are aligned with the native ones in
1.1.x (i.e. remove SSLExt and friends).

> 4. Deprecate the SSLExt and socket.* classes

Copy trunk to a branch (so we have these if we want to re-use bits) and
remove these from trunk.

> 5. Have tc-native trunk depend on OpenSSL 1.0.2
> 6. In tc-native trunk add support for ALPN to SSLContext

Mark

> [1] http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/b2ubilnny36lbxha
> [2] http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/3oksxa4izkiqwjn4
> [3] http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/dxskexh77tts4h5i
> [4] http://markmail.org/thread/hmzz4vdbjlejjhsb

Re: TC native proposal

mturk
On 04/07/2015 10:58 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Therefore, I'd like to make the following proposal:
>
> 1. Update tc-native trunk to use Java sources from tomcat/trunk (9.0.x)
> 2. Update tc-native 1.1.x to use Java sources from 8.0.x/trunk
> 3. Ensure 7.0.x/trunk and 6.0.x/trunk have identical Java sources to
> 8.0.x/trunk (but not adding new classes like SSLExt if not already present).
> 4. Deprecate the SSLExt and socket.* classes
> 5. Have tc-native trunk depend on OpenSSL 1.0.2
> 6. In tc-native trunk add support for ALPN to SSLContext

+1

Regards
--
^TM