TomCat 9 service failed to start on Windows after TomCat 9 update

TomCat 9 service failed to start on Windows after TomCat 9 update

Igor Sluge

Hello,
I updated TomCat for my app to the latest TomCat 9.0.41 and after update TomCat service failed to start successfully as Windows service. I just see 404 error when trying to open the TomCat app. Also there are no logs at all in the log directory! If I start TomCat locally by the command   tomcat9.exe" //TS//MyApp   it started successfully.
OS: Windows 7 and Server 2012
Does anybody have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue?

Re: TomCat 9 service failed to start on Windows after TomCat 9 update

Robert Turner
I would check permissions on the folders/files. The account running the
windows service may not have permissions to execute the programs or maybe
access the directories. That's the first thing I would check. (Also check
Event Viewer for any related messages).

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:24 AM Igor Sluge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I updated TomCat for my app to the latest TomCat 9.0.41 and after update
> TomCat service failed to start successfully as Windows service. I just see
> 404 error when trying to open the TomCat app. Also there are no logs at all
> in the log directory! If I start TomCat locally by the command
> tomcat9.exe" //TS//MyApp   it started successfully.
> OS: Windows 7 and Server 2012
> Does anybody have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue?

Re: TomCat 9 service failed to start on Windows after TomCat 9 update

Igor,

On 1/15/21 08:23, Igor Sluge wrote:
> I updated TomCat for my app to the latest TomCat 9.0.41 and after update TomCat service failed to start successfully as Windows service. I just see 404 error when trying to open the TomCat app. Also there are no logs at all in the log directory! If I start TomCat locally by the command   tomcat9.exe" //TS//MyApp   it started successfully.
> OS: Windows 7 and Server 2012
> Does anybody have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue?

What did you upgrade *from*?

When you upgraded, did you reinstall or otherwise update the Windows
Service definition?

Re[2]: TomCat 9 service failed to start on Windows after TomCat 9 update

Igor Sluge

Hello,
Thanks for your answer. Do you know is anyway to specify «Local System» user for «tomcat9.exe" //IS//» command
via cmd?

>Пятница, 15 января 2021, 16:34 +03:00 от Robert Turner <[hidden email]>:

>I would check permissions on the folders/files. The account running the windows service may not have permissions to execute the programs or maybe access the directories. That's the first thing I would check. (Also check Event Viewer for any related messages).
>On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:24 AM Igor Sluge < [hidden email] > wrote:

>>Hello,
>>I updated TomCat for my app to the latest TomCat 9.0.41 and after update TomCat service failed to start successfully as Windows service. I just see 404 error when trying to open the TomCat app. Also there are no logs at all in the log directory! If I start TomCat locally by the command   tomcat9.exe" //TS//MyApp   it started successfully.
>>OS: Windows 7 and Server 2012
>>Does anybody have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue?

Bye, Igor

Re: TomCat 9 service failed to start on Windows after TomCat 9 update

markt
On 18/01/2021 04:40, Igor Sluge wrote:

> Hello,
> Thanks for your answer. Do you know is anyway to specify «Local System» user for «tomcat9.exe" //IS//» command
> via cmd?

--ServiceUser "LocalSystem"

should do it.

Mark

>> Пятница, 15 января 2021, 16:34 +03:00 от Robert Turner <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I would check permissions on the folders/files. The account running the windows service may not have permissions to execute the programs or maybe access the directories. That's the first thing I would check. (Also check Event Viewer for any related messages).
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:24 AM Igor Sluge < [hidden email] > wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>> I updated TomCat for my app to the latest TomCat 9.0.41 and after update TomCat service failed to start successfully as Windows service. I just see 404 error when trying to open the TomCat app. Also there are no logs at all in the log directory! If I start TomCat locally by the command   tomcat9.exe" //TS//MyApp   it started successfully.
>>> OS: Windows 7 and Server 2012
>>> Does anybody have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue?
>>>

> Bye, Igor

Re[3]: TomCat 9 service failed to start on Windows after TomCat 9 update

Igor Sluge

Hello,
For all who is interested in how to do that: the following «--ServiceUser=LocalSystem» should be added to the «//IS//» command

>Понедельник, 18 января 2021, 7:40 +03:00 от Igor Sluge <[hidden email]>:

>Hello,
>Thanks for your answer. Do you know is anyway to specify «Local System» user for «tomcat9.exe" //IS//» command
>via cmd?
>>Пятница, 15 января 2021, 16:34 +03:00 от Robert Turner < [hidden email] >:
>>
>>I would check permissions on the folders/files. The account running the windows service may not have permissions to execute the programs or maybe access the directories. That's the first thing I would check. (Also check Event Viewer for any related messages).
>>On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:24 AM Igor Sluge <  [hidden email] > wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>I updated TomCat for my app to the latest TomCat 9.0.41 and after update TomCat service failed to start successfully as Windows service. I just see 404 error when trying to open the TomCat app. Also there are no logs at all in the log directory! If I start TomCat locally by the command   tomcat9.exe" //TS//MyApp   it started successfully.
>>>OS: Windows 7 and Server 2012
>>>Does anybody have any ideas of how to troubleshoot this issue?
>>>

>Bye, Igor

Bye, Igor