Tomcat 3 -- servlets don't reload..

fdr58
when I make changes to a servlet I don't see changes unless I turn
tomcat off and on...  this is a huge pain, it's at work, where we can't
be turning Tomcat off and on all day long whenever we make changes to a
servlet..  Is there a way around this?  (Does Tomcat 3 come with a
Manager?  I can't find manager-howto.html among docs (which does come
with Tomcat 5..)  many thanks..

Frances

Re: Tomcat 3 -- servlets don't reload..

fdr58
Frances wrote:
> when I make changes to a servlet I don't see changes unless I turn
> tomcat off and on...  this is a huge pain, it's at work, where we can't
> be turning Tomcat off and on all day long whenever we make changes to a
> servlet..  Is there a way around this?  (Does Tomcat 3 come with a
> Manager?  I can't find manager-howto.html among docs (which does come
> with Tomcat 5..)  many thanks..
>
> Frances

I do have this for every webapp in server.xml:

  <Context path="/<nameOfWebapp>"
                  docBase="webapps/<nameOfWebapp>"
                  crossContext="false"
                  debug="0"
                  reloadable="true" >

so why won't servlets reload when I make changes to them?  (again, this
is on Tomcat 3, 3.2.2, to be precise..)  thanks again..  Frances

RE: Tomcat 3 -- servlets don't reload..

Larry Isaacs
I has been quite a while since I have used Tomcat 3.3.x.
My recollection is that accessing the changed servlet would
trigger a reload of the webapp.  This differs from the newer
Tomcats which have a background thread checking for changes.
Also, with a default configuration, I don't recall anything
special that was needed beyond setting the context to be
reloadable.  I can't say why this isn't working for you.

As for the manager, Tomcat came with an admin webapp.  However,
it never got far enough along to be worthy of its own manual.
It's mentioned briefly in the User's Guide, but I think that is
about it.  If you want a "real" manager/admin webapp, you will
need to upgrade to a newer Tomcat.

Cheers,
Larry

thank you very much Larry..  oh brother, my boss insists there's a way..
  there HAS to be a way..  how can a servlet container be designed that
only reloads servlets when you restart it?  ok, thanks again...

Larry Isaacs wrote:

> I has been quite a while since I have used Tomcat 3.3.x.
> My recollection is that accessing the changed servlet would
> trigger a reload of the webapp.  This differs from the newer
> Tomcats which have a background thread checking for changes.
> Also, with a default configuration, I don't recall anything
> special that was needed beyond setting the context to be
> reloadable.  I can't say why this isn't working for you.
>
> As for the manager, Tomcat came with an admin webapp.  However,
> it never got far enough along to be worthy of its own manual.
> It's mentioned briefly in the User's Guide, but I think that is
> about it.  If you want a "real" manager/admin webapp, you will
> need to upgrade to a newer Tomcat.
>
> Cheers,
> Larry

Bill Barker-2

"Frances" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:du4i67$prf$[hidden email]...
> thank you very much Larry..  oh brother, my boss insists there's a way..
> there HAS to be a way..  how can a servlet container be designed that only
> reloads servlets when you restart it?  ok, thanks again...

You should tell your boss that 3.2.2 is a fossil :).  You really should
upgrade your Tomcat version if you want this.  Larry's answer was for 3.3.2,
where the /admin webapp is primitive, but usable.