Tomcat 5 problems

Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD)
Hi,

I am getting this problem while starting tomcat ..

        at
a:39)
        at
Impl.java:25)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)
org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
        at
org.apache.naming.NamingContext.<clinit>(NamingContext.java:56)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener.lifecycleEvent(NamingCont
extListener.java:230)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSu
pport.java:119)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2306)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)
        ... 6 more

Can some one help me in this ..

Thanks
Nagendra

Re: Tomcat 5 problems

Filip Hanik (mailing lists)
what script are you using to startup?
This class exists in <TOMCAT_HOME>/bin/commons-logging-api.jar

and should be part of your startup classpath

Filip

Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting this problem while starting tomcat ..

>         at
> a:39)
>         at
> Impl.java:25)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
>         at
> org.apache.naming.NamingContext.<clinit>(NamingContext.java:56)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener.lifecycleEvent(NamingCont
> extListener.java:230)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSu
> pport.java:119)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2306)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)
>         ... 6 more
>
> Can some one help me in this ..
>
> Thanks
> Nagendra

RE: Tomcat 5 problems

Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD)
Thanks Filip ..

It is missing in my endorsed dir path ..
I am adding it now ..
Hope it will work

Thanks a lot ..

Nagendra

This class exists in <TOMCAT_HOME>/bin/commons-logging-api.jar

and should be part of your startup classpath

Filip

Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting this problem while starting tomcat ..

>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.j
> av
> a:39)
>         at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccess
> or
> Impl.java:25)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
>         at
> org.apache.naming.NamingContext.<clinit>(NamingContext.java:56)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener.lifecycleEvent(NamingCo
> nt
> extListener.java:230)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycle
> Su
> pport.java:119)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2306)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)

>         ... 6 more
>
> Can some one help me in this ..
>
> Thanks
> Nagendra

Question

Andrew English
Were do I need to look to figure out what SQL server tomcat/jboss 2.4 is pointing at?

I am trying to figure out what table and server this old POS is looking at when I am looking at the inactive users list which is a .jsp page.

Thanks!

Regards,
Andrew

RE: Tomcat 5 problems

Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD)
 Hi Filip,

 After adding bin to my endorsed dirs path that error got disappeared
but some new exception is appearing in the log

Bootstrap: Class loader creation threw exception
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.<clinit>(ClassLoaderFacto
ry.java:63)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.initClassLoaders(Bootstrap.java:10
3)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:196)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:402)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.l
ang.NullPointerException (Caused by java.lang.NullPointerException)
(Caused by org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationExc
eption: java.lang.NullPointerException (Caused by
java.lang.NullPointerException))
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.java:543)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.java:235)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.java:209)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:351)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.compat.JdkCompat.<clinit>(JdkCompat.java:55)
        ... 4 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.NullPointerException (Caused by java.lang.NullPoin
terException)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFact
oryImpl.java:397)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.java:529)
        ... 8 more
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFact
oryImpl.java:374)
        ... 9 more
~
So what to do now ..

Can you please help me what are the other *jars it needs ..

This class exists in <TOMCAT_HOME>/bin/commons-logging-api.jar

and should be part of your startup classpath

Filip

Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting this problem while starting tomcat ..

>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.j
> av
> a:39)
>         at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccess
> or
> Impl.java:25)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)
> org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
>         at
> org.apache.naming.NamingContext.<clinit>(NamingContext.java:56)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener.lifecycleEvent(NamingCo
> nt
> extListener.java:230)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycle
> Su
> pport.java:119)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2306)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)

>         ... 6 more
>
> Can some one help me in this ..
>
> Thanks
> Nagendra

javaservice.exe

Andrew English
Is there anyway to force close the javaservice.exe on windows? When I tried to do it under Taskmanager (as Administrator) it tells me "could not be completed.. access denied".

Regards,
Andrew

Re: javaservice.exe

Glen Mazza-4
I'm not sure how JavaService works, but perhaps best to shut down any
services from the Control Panel that JavaService is running first?

Glen

Andrew English wrote:
> Is there anyway to force close the javaservice.exe on windows? When I tried to do it under Taskmanager (as Administrator) it tells me
"could not be completed.. access denied".

> Regards,
> Andrew

RE: javaservice.exe

Peter Crowther
> From: Andrew English [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Is there anyway to force close the javaservice.exe on
> windows? When I tried to do it under Taskmanager (as
> Administrator) it tells me "could not be completed.. access denied".

If it's running as LocalSystem, not to my knowledge - you don't have the
privilege.  But of course you ran it as some lower-privilege account
than LocalSystem didn't you? ;-)

                - Peter

RE: Question

Peter Crowther
> From: Andrew English [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Were do I need to look to figure out what SQL server
> tomcat/jboss 2.4 is pointing at?

Could be anywhere.  A generic approach that will probably get you quite
a long way is to run:

        netstat -an | find "1433"

And seeing what the far-end IP address is for the established
connections.  A network sniffer will also tell you which database is
being used if you can't deduce it any other way (it's buried in the byte
stream in cleartext).

                - Peter

Re: Tomcat 5 problems

Filip Hanik (mailing lists)
looks like you modified your tomcat configurations, you need to tell us
as much as you can about your environment.
if you download tomcat, run the start script in the bin directory, then
I can't imagine that this would happen.
Instead, my guess is that you have modified the scripts or are running
your own, and from that you just need to trace backwards, to find out
what you did to break it and undo it.