Tomcat 7.0.92 with NIO randomly resets connections

Tomcat 7.0.92 with NIO randomly resets connections

Jan Tarnowski
Hi,

we're experiencing problem with Tomcat 7.0.92 with NIO connector which
results in randomly resetting connections by server (client receives
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET).
The problem doesn't occur with BIO connector but we need NIO to support
Comet-based servlet.

Observations:
1) In TCP dump we see that server sends (RST, ACK) just after receiving
GET request.
2) Thousands of EOFExceptions with message "Unexpected EOF read on the
socket" are recorded in JFR through 15 minutes. They come from
InternalNioInputBuffer.readSocket().
3) In result of "netstat -s" we see that parameter "connections reset
due to early user close" grows quickly.
4) Number of reset connections grow when server is under higher load but
the problem is still present when a load is much smaller.

Server is a virtual machine and runs on RHEL 6.10. Connections come
through LB (F5) and firewall (Palo Alto 3050).

Connector configuration:
<Connector port="8080" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
connectionTimeout="20000"
redirectPort="8443"
acceptorThreadCount="1"
minSpareThreads="40"
maxThreads="400"
secure="true"
relaxedQueryChars='^{}[]|&quot;' />

Do you have any idea what could cause such a behaviour?
--
Jan Tarnowski
Comarch S.A.

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment