Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?

Tom Holmes Jr.
Ok, I'm not a newbie to Apache 2.x, Tomcat 4.x, JK2 with Java SDK 1.4.x
... I have gotten these to work over the years with few problems either
on a Windows or Linux environment.  I've modified the httpd.conf file
and workers2.properties files under Apache 2.x, and the server.xml and
jk2.properties under Tomcat 4.x.

However, now I am in unfamiliar territory once more.  I am working on
Windows 2000, and I want to use Apache 2.x which I have no problems
working with.  But now, I want it to work with Tomcat 5.5.x ...  so,
here the questions begins:

I understand that I should be using the Java SDK 1.5 now with Tomcat
5.5.x, is that correct?

I always thought that JK2 was the new version of JK.  I have always used
JK2 to connect tomcat 4.x to Apache 2.x.  I understand that JK2 is now
deprecated and is no longer getting any support?   Does this mean I
should now use JK to connect Tomcat 5.5.x with Apache 2.x?   Do I still
need a workers2.properties file?

Where can I find documentation on using JK in order to connect Apache
2.x with Tomcat 5.5.x?   Any sample files I need?

I know I've seen a lot of questions about this on this list and on the
net (yes, Google is my friend), but I only get bits and pieces of the
whole, I was looking for anything more comprehensive.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Tom

RE: Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?

Didier McGillis
I too am a Apache/Tomcat/Modjk2 vet.  I have begun looking at moving to
Tomcat 5.5 and evaluating the need for Apache, as well as other connectors
for Modjk2.  One you can look at would be Apache Mod Proxy, apparently that
has caught on as an excellent way to connect Apache to Tomcat.

>From: "Tom Holmes Jr." <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?
>Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:02:00 -0400
>
>Ok, I'm not a newbie to Apache 2.x, Tomcat 4.x, JK2 with Java SDK 1.4.x
>... I have gotten these to work over the years with few problems either on
>a Windows or Linux environment.  I've modified the httpd.conf file and
>workers2.properties files under Apache 2.x, and the server.xml and
>jk2.properties under Tomcat 4.x.
>
>However, now I am in unfamiliar territory once more.  I am working on
>Windows 2000, and I want to use Apache 2.x which I have no problems working
>with.  But now, I want it to work with Tomcat 5.5.x ...  so, here the
>questions begins:
>
>I understand that I should be using the Java SDK 1.5 now with Tomcat 5.5.x,
>is that correct?
>
>I always thought that JK2 was the new version of JK.  I have always used
>JK2 to connect tomcat 4.x to Apache 2.x.  I understand that JK2 is now
>deprecated and is no longer getting any support?   Does this mean I should
>now use JK to connect Tomcat 5.5.x with Apache 2.x?   Do I still need a
>workers2.properties file?
>
>Where can I find documentation on using JK in order to connect Apache 2.x
>with Tomcat 5.5.x?   Any sample files I need?
>
>I know I've seen a lot of questions about this on this list and on the net
>(yes, Google is my friend), but I only get bits and pieces of the whole, I
>was looking for anything more comprehensive.
>
>Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
>

>      Tom

Re: Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?

Darryl Wilburn
Tom,
I have Tomcat 5.5.7, Apache 2.0.54, JRE 1.5.0_03, JK
1.2.11, running on Win2k3 server with no problems.
The biggest hurdle I had to get over was making the
necessary changes on the sample files included with
the software.  (the worker names didn't match)  The
files required are mod_jk.so (downloaded at
http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/)
  The instructions I followed are at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/howto/apache.html.
 The other files involved are workers.properties,
mod_jk.conf.  The HowTo instructions at the above link
are excellent.

DW

--- "Tom Holmes Jr." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I'm not a newbie to Apache 2.x, Tomcat 4.x, JK2
> with Java SDK 1.4.x
> ... I have gotten these to work over the years with
> few problems either
> on a Windows or Linux environment.  I've modified
> the httpd.conf file
> and workers2.properties files under Apache 2.x, and
> the server.xml and
> jk2.properties under Tomcat 4.x.
>
> However, now I am in unfamiliar territory once more.
>  I am working on
> Windows 2000, and I want to use Apache 2.x which I
> have no problems
> working with.  But now, I want it to work with
> Tomcat 5.5.x ...  so,
> here the questions begins:
>
> I understand that I should be using the Java SDK 1.5
> now with Tomcat
> 5.5.x, is that correct?
>
> I always thought that JK2 was the new version of JK.
>  I have always used
> JK2 to connect tomcat 4.x to Apache 2.x.  I
> understand that JK2 is now
> deprecated and is no longer getting any support?
> Does this mean I
> should now use JK to connect Tomcat 5.5.x with
> Apache 2.x?   Do I still
> need a workers2.properties file?
>
> Where can I find documentation on using JK in order
> to connect Apache
> 2.x with Tomcat 5.5.x?   Any sample files I need?
>
> I know I've seen a lot of questions about this on
> this list and on the
> net (yes, Google is my friend), but I only get bits
> and pieces of the
> whole, I was looking for anything more
> comprehensive.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
>

> Tom

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Re: Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?

Tom Holmes Jr.
I can't thank you enough.  I was wondering if anyone had done it, and
you certainly have.

The sample files I have has always been the biggest hurdle for me also.
The mod_jk.so I am using is "mod_jk-1.2.13-apache-2.0.54.so" which I
think is for Windows.

I'll refer to the same directions you used, and I am sure I will get it
also.
Thanks for giving me hope that it can be done!  Now I just have to get
past those sample files also.

Thanks again!

                                          Tom

Darryl Wilburn wrote:

>Tom,
>I have Tomcat 5.5.7, Apache 2.0.54, JRE 1.5.0_03, JK
>1.2.11, running on Win2k3 server with no problems.
>The biggest hurdle I had to get over was making the
>necessary changes on the sample files included with
>the software.  (the worker names didn't match)  The
>files required are mod_jk.so (downloaded at
>http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/)
>  The instructions I followed are at
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/howto/apache.html.
> The other files involved are workers.properties,
>mod_jk.conf.  The HowTo instructions at the above link
>are excellent.
>
>DW
>
>--- "Tom Holmes Jr." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Ok, I'm not a newbie to Apache 2.x, Tomcat 4.x, JK2
>>with Java SDK 1.4.x
>>... I have gotten these to work over the years with
>>few problems either
>>on a Windows or Linux environment.  I've modified
>>the httpd.conf file
>>and workers2.properties files under Apache 2.x, and
>>the server.xml and
>>jk2.properties under Tomcat 4.x.
>>
>>However, now I am in unfamiliar territory once more.
>> I am working on
>>Windows 2000, and I want to use Apache 2.x which I
>>have no problems
>>working with.  But now, I want it to work with
>>Tomcat 5.5.x ...  so,
>>here the questions begins:
>>
>>I understand that I should be using the Java SDK 1.5
>>now with Tomcat
>>5.5.x, is that correct?
>>
>>I always thought that JK2 was the new version of JK.
>> I have always used
>>JK2 to connect tomcat 4.x to Apache 2.x.  I
>>understand that JK2 is now
>>deprecated and is no longer getting any support?
>>Does this mean I
>>should now use JK to connect Tomcat 5.5.x with
>>Apache 2.x?   Do I still
>>need a workers2.properties file?
>>
>>Where can I find documentation on using JK in order
>>to connect Apache
>>2.x with Tomcat 5.5.x?   Any sample files I need?
>>
>>I know I've seen a lot of questions about this on
>>this list and on the
>>net (yes, Google is my friend), but I only get bits
>>and pieces of the
>>whole, I was looking for anything more
>>comprehensive.
>>
>>Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
>>

>>Tom

>>[hidden email]
>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>[hidden email]

Re: Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?

Darryl Wilburn
Tom,
If you need them, I can send you my actual files.
Although I encourage you to do all you can do on your
own to figure it out.  It'll pay huge dividends in the
end if you understand what you had to do to make it
work.

> [...]

> JK.
> >> I have always used
> >>JK2 to connect tomcat 4.x to Apache 2.x.  I
> >>understand that JK2 is now
> >>deprecated and is no longer getting any support?
> >>Does this mean I
> >>should now use JK to connect Tomcat 5.5.x with
> >>Apache 2.x?   Do I still
> >>need a workers2.properties file?
> >>
> >>Where can I find documentation on using JK in
> order
> >>to connect Apache
> >>2.x with Tomcat 5.5.x?   Any sample files I need?
> >>
> >>I know I've seen a lot of questions about this on
> >>this list and on the
> >>net (yes, Google is my friend), but I only get
> bits
> >>and pieces of the
> >>whole, I was looking for anything more
> >>comprehensive.
> >>
> >>Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

I agree I should work with the files first to see if I can get it to
work.  I used the sample workers.properties file from Tomcat 5.5 in
order to create my working workers,properties file.    So, now when I
restart Apache2, it doesn't complain and it looks like it is
communicating with Tomcat 5.5.

However, when I try my JSP page, I get a big 'OK' at the top of the
screen and then I get this error message:
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [hidden email]
and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might
have done that may have caused the error.

So ..... after reading the documentation you referred me to, it looks
like I need to update my httpd.conf file a bit more.   I mean I got the
LoadModule working, but it looks like I need to add some Jk commands
like JkMount to my httpd.conf file.   So, I am playing with that now.

I might need your files as a sample, but I'll work on this on my own for
a little while.     Thanks very much.

                           Tom

Darryl Wilburn wrote:

>Tom,
>If you need them, I can send you my actual files.
>Although I encourage you to do all you can do on your
>own to figure it out.  It'll pay huge dividends in the
>end if you understand what you had to do to make it
>work.
>
>DW
>
>--- "Tom Holmes Jr." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I can't thank you enough.  I was wondering if anyone
>>had done it, and
>>you certainly have.
>>
>>The sample files I have has always been the biggest
>>hurdle for me also.
>>The mod_jk.so I am using is
>>"mod_jk-1.2.13-apache-2.0.54.so" which I
>>think is for Windows.
>>
>>I'll refer to the same directions you used, and I am
>>sure I will get it
>>also.
>>Thanks for giving me hope that it can be done!  Now
>>I just have to get
>>past those sample files also.
>>
>>Thanks again!
>>
>>                                          Tom
>>
>>Darryl Wilburn wrote:
>>

>>>Tom,
>>>I have Tomcat 5.5.7, Apache 2.0.54, JRE 1.5.0_03,
>>>

>>JK
>>

>>>1.2.11, running on Win2k3 server with no problems.
>>>The biggest hurdle I had to get over was making the
>>>necessary changes on the sample files included with
>>>the software.  (the worker names didn't match)  The
>>>files required are mod_jk.so (downloaded at
>>>

>>http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/)
>>

>>> The instructions I followed are at
>>>

>>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/howto/apache.html.
>>

>>>The other files involved are workers.properties,
>>>mod_jk.conf.  The HowTo instructions at the above
>>>

>>link
>>

>>>are excellent.
>>>
>>>DW

>>JK2

>>with

>>and

>>more.

>>1.5

>>JK.

>>order

>>bits

>>>__________________________________
>>>Yahoo! Mail Mobile
>>>Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your
>>>

>>mobile phone.
>>

>>>http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

>>[hidden email]
>>

>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>>

>>[hidden email]

>>[hidden email]
>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>[hidden email]

Re: Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?

Darryl Wilburn
The only change I made to httpd.conf was to add the
line:  Include "C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\conf\mod_jk.conf".  (You can put
the .conf file anywhere, you just have to tell Apache
where it's located.)

I did find that the HowTo instructions directed you to
use "Auto-configure".  I ran that once to build the
mod_jk.conf-auto file.  What I found was that it
didn't  build it correctly.  The JKMount paths didn't
match what I had in Tomcat.  I don't recall what it
put in the file, but it wasn't right.  I ended up
removing the line that they tell you to add to
server.xml to auto-configure once I had the format of
the mod_jk.conf file.  Also, if you examine the
mod_jk.conf file, one of the first things it does is
to instruct Apache to "LoadModule jk_module
modules/mod_jk.so", so it isn't necessary to add that
to the httpd.conf file.  I did populate the
information for JkWorkersFile and JkLogfile.  Once I
had the url's correctly defined, it just worked.

I wondered if it would be helpful for those who have
been successful at configuring the connector to just
publish a document for the various versions of Tomcat;
4.x, 5.0.x, and 5.5.x.  I only say that because even
the HowTo document that I used seemed to only get me
about 50% of the way there.

> [...]

> >own to figure it out.  It'll pay huge dividends in
> the
> >end if you understand what you had to do to make it
> >work.
> >
> >DW
> >
> >--- "Tom Holmes Jr." <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >>I can't thank you enough.  I was wondering if
> anyone
> >>had done it, and
> >>you certainly have.
> >>
> >>The sample files I have has always been the
> biggest
> >>hurdle for me also.
> >>The mod_jk.so I am using is
> >>"mod_jk-1.2.13-apache-2.0.54.so" which I
> >>think is for Windows.
> >>
> >>I'll refer to the same directions you used, and I
> am
> >>sure I will get it
> >>also.
> >>Thanks for giving me hope that it can be done!

Yahoo! Mail

Re: Tomcat/Apache/JK(2)?

Tom Holmes Jr.
I have Tomcat 5.5.9 using JK to communicate with Apache 2.0.54 just
fine.  The workers.properties file is configured correctly, the
httpd.conf is configured correctly, and I had to make a small change to
server.xml to call my new site.   This is all running on one Windows
2000 Server machine.

When I first started this I was getting the problem listed below.
Looking at the mod_jk.log I found that Tomcat 5.5.9 wasn't listening.
So, basically what I had to do was start Tomcat MANUALLY, and then
everything worked perfectly.

So, what I'd like to do is configure JNI so with JK (not JK2 since it is
now deprecated) and get Apache 2.0.54 to automatically start Tomcat
5.5.9.   Or, I'd like to use JK (via Apache 2.0.54) to start Tomcat
5.5.9 in-process.

In short, can I do this?     If I can, can someone refer me to the steps
I have to take in workers.properties, server.xml, and httpd.config to
make this happen.

BTW, in my research I have found people using JK to connect Apache 2.0.x
to Tomat 4.x, but it usually involves modifying server.xml to use the
Tomcat4 CoyoteConnector, and I wasn;t sure if that was available for
Tomcat 5.5.

Any help would be much appreciated, and if you need any more information
from me, please let me know.   Thanks.

                   Tom