Tomcat Docker using AdoptOpenJDK-OpenJ9

kusuma chalasani
Hi all,

I'm a Performance Analyst for JVM runtime. I recently tried out some experiments to compare Tomcat startup performance in Docker using  AdoptOpenJDK-OpenJ9

I found I was able to get ~30% faster startup time with very minimal change in footprint when I enable SharedClass Cache when I compared to the default(which is No Shareclasses). I wrote a detailed blog post here  https://blog.openj9.org/2020/05/18/startup-performance-of-tomcat-in-docker/   where I outlined what and how I measured.

I also did raise a PR for the same - https://github.com/docker-library/tomcat/pull/202

We figured we'd reach out to you guys so you can take a look, and maybe try it out and let us know if you have any comments/questions.

Thanks,
Kusuma.

Re: Tomcat Docker using AdoptOpenJDK-OpenJ9

Martin Grigorov

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:45 PM kusuma chalasani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a Performance Analyst for JVM runtime. I recently tried out some experiments to compare Tomcat startup performance in Docker using  AdoptOpenJDK-OpenJ9

I found I was able to get ~30% faster startup time with very minimal change in footprint when I enable SharedClass Cache when I compared to the default(which is No Shareclasses). I wrote a detailed blog post here  https://blog.openj9.org/2020/05/18/startup-performance-of-tomcat-in-docker/   where I outlined what and how I measured.

I also did raise a PR for the same - https://github.com/docker-library/tomcat/pull/202

We figured we'd reach out to you guys so you can take a look, and maybe try it out and let us know if you have any comments/questions.

Thank you for sharing your findings with us, Kusuma!

Thanks,
Kusuma.