Quantcast

Tomcat Language

Rafa Orteu
Hello everybody!!!

I have 2 tomcats with the same configuration in 2 diferent servers with the
same configuration, one tomcat manager appears in spanish and the other one
appears in english, one have dd/MM/yyyy and the other MM/dd/yyyy.

Where can i configure this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Tomcat Language

Mark Thomas-2
Rafa Orteu wrote:
> Hello everybody!!!
>
> I have 2 tomcats with the same configuration in 2 diferent servers with the
> same configuration, one tomcat manager appears in spanish and the other one
> appears in english, one have dd/MM/yyyy and the other MM/dd/yyyy.
>
> Where can i configure this?

Looks like an operating system locale setting. Check the docs for you OS.

Re: Tomcat Language

A A-35
Hello, Im working with Rafa Orteu, and we´re are having the same problem. So Im answering for him.

Both server have the same locale configuration for machine and user owner, es_ES.iso885915@euro, same time zone machine, same java version.

Even in the same machine we have one her tomcat with english language in tomcat manager, and mm/dd/yy date format, and other spanish language with dd/mm/yy.

Checking java variables with and jsp in each tomcat, we see that java.text.DateFormat.getInstance() returns mm/dd/yy in the english manager and dd/mm/yy in the spanish manager.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

> I have 2 tomcats with the same configuration in 2 diferent servers with
the
> same configuration, one tomcat manager appears in spanish and the other
one
> appears in english, one have dd/MM/yyyy and the other MM/dd/yyyy.
>
> Where can i configure this?

Looks like an operating system locale setting. Check the docs for you OS.

Re: Tomcat Language

Mike Altieri

Hello,

Take a look at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/text/DateFormat.html
(I just did a quick google - please verify for the java version you are on)

maybe use a different method where you can specify the format type since it sounds like you want it the same way regardless of locale? like:

java.text.DateFormat.getDateTimeInstance(int dateStyle, int timeStyle);

or

java.text.DateFormat.getDateTimeInstance(ine dateStyle, int timeStyle, Locale aLocale)

Since java.text.DateFormat.getInstance() uses the default settings for the locale that it's called in

hope this helps!

-Mike

> Hello, Im working with Rafa Orteu, and we´re are having the same problem. So Im
> answering for him.
>
> Both server have the same locale configuration for machine and user owner,
> es_ES.iso885915@euro, same time zone machine, same java version.
>
> Even in the same machine we have one her tomcat with english language in tomcat
> manager, and mm/dd/yy date format, and other spanish language with dd/mm/yy.
>
> Checking java variables with and jsp in each tomcat, we see that
> java.text.DateFormat.getInstance() returns mm/dd/yy in the english manager and
> dd/mm/yy in the spanish manager.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: A A [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Language
>
> Checking java variables with and jsp in each tomcat, we see that
> java.text.DateFormat.getInstance() returns mm/dd/yy in the english
> manager and dd/mm/yy in the spanish manager.
>
> Any suggestion?

Examine the system properties in each Tomcat instance; this can be done with JConsole, but installing Lambda Probe makes it easier.  Compare the two sets for differences, especially the user.country and user.language settings.

This happened to one other user a few months ago, and was found to be caused by a webapp setting those variables on the fly (as I recall).  Since they're global, it affected everything in the JVM.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat Language

André Warnier
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: A A [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat Language
>>
>> Checking java variables with and jsp in each tomcat, we see that
>> java.text.DateFormat.getInstance() returns mm/dd/yy in the english
>> manager and dd/mm/yy in the spanish manager.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> Examine the system properties in each Tomcat instance; this can be done with JConsole, but installing Lambda Probe makes it easier.  Compare the two sets for differences, especially the user.country and user.language settings.
>
> This happened to one other user a few months ago, and was found to be caused by a webapp setting those variables on the fly (as I recall).  Since they're global, it affected everything in the JVM.

As I am this other user, I confirm (except that in my case the Tomcat
Manager started talking German one day, not Spanish).
As I recall, at some point we added a webapp, which was setting (for
itself basically) the user.country and user.language properties when it
was loaded.  Since you cannot really control the order in which Tomcat
loads the various webapps, it was a bit random as a result.
If you have a webapp that sets these properties, remove it temporarily,
restart Tomcat, and check if that changes the Manager language.

Re: Tomcat Language

A A-35
Caldarale, That was it!!
I had recently deployed a new aplication in this tomcat, opencms 7, and it had changed the date format and tomcat language.
So, As you said, I undeployed the application, reboot the tomcat service,and the date format change, and fix the problem!!!

Thanks for all

>> Checking java variables with and jsp in each tomcat, we see that
>> java.text.DateFormat.getInstance() returns mm/dd/yy in the english
>> manager and dd/mm/yy in the spanish manager.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> Examine the system properties in each Tomcat instance; this can be done
with JConsole, but installing Lambda Probe makes it easier.  Compare the two
sets for differences, especially the user.country and user.language settings.

> This happened to one other user a few months ago, and was found to be
caused by a webapp setting those variables on the fly (as I recall).  Since
they're global, it affected everything in the JVM.

As I am this other user, I confirm (except that in my case the Tomcat Manager
started talking German one day, not Spanish).
As I recall, at some point we added a webapp, which was setting (for itself
basically) the user.country and user.language properties when it was loaded.
Since you cannot really control the order in which Tomcat loads the various
webapps, it was a bit random as a result.
If you have a webapp that sets these properties, remove it temporarily, restart
Tomcat, and check if that changes the Manager language.

Re: Tomcat Language

nakohdo
This post was updated on .
In my case it was one of the accepted browser languages: Adding Japanese to that list in Firefox made the Tomcat Manager show up in Japanese even if this language was last on the list.

Windows 7 - XAMPP 1.7.7 - Firefox 18.0.1