Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Brian Burch
I'm quite baffled!

http://tomcat.apache.org/source.html gives me the url:-

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site

I made a clean "svn checkout" and referred to the README.txt about the
source files being xml formatted. I have all the html files, but the
instructions tell me the real source is the xml. There are a lot of xml
files, but not for Logging.

Unfortunately, even after trying:-

svn update --set-depth infinity xdocs jk-xdocs native-xdocs

The directory tree does contain several xml files related to logging
with Tomcat 5, but not the page I want to update.

When I browse:-

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/xdocs/

There are quite a few xml files, but not the one I would like to modify
- Logging.xml.

What have I misunderstood?

Brian

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Martin Grigorov
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:12 AM Brian Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm quite baffled!
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/source.html gives me the url:-
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site
>
> I made a clean "svn checkout" and referred to the README.txt about the
> source files being xml formatted. I have all the html files, but the
> instructions tell me the real source is the xml. There are a lot of xml
> files, but not for Logging.
>
> Unfortunately, even after trying:-
>
> svn update --set-depth infinity xdocs jk-xdocs native-xdocs
>
> The directory tree does contain several xml files related to logging
> with Tomcat 5, but not the page I want to update.
>
> When I browse:-
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/xdocs/
>
> There are quite a few xml files, but not the one I would like to modify
> - Logging.xml.
>
> What have I misunderstood?
>

$ grep -rnH 'Apache Tomcat uses JULI' .


./docs/tomcat-9.0-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for Apache
Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork
./docs/tomcat-8.5-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for Apache
Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork
./docs/tomcat-10.0-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for
Apache Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork
./docs/tomcat-8.0-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for Apache
Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork

grep also does not find the text in any .xml file. Only in .html.

Martin


> Brian
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Brian Burch
On 24/3/20 5:45 pm, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:12 AM Brian Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm quite baffled!
>>
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/source.html gives me the url:-
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site
>>
>> I made a clean "svn checkout" and referred to the README.txt about the
>> source files being xml formatted. I have all the html files, but the
>> instructions tell me the real source is the xml. There are a lot of xml
>> files, but not for Logging.
>>
>> Unfortunately, even after trying:-
>>
>> svn update --set-depth infinity xdocs jk-xdocs native-xdocs
>>
>> The directory tree does contain several xml files related to logging
>> with Tomcat 5, but not the page I want to update.
>>
>> When I browse:-
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/xdocs/
>>
>> There are quite a few xml files, but not the one I would like to modify
>> - Logging.xml.
>>
>> What have I misunderstood?
>>
>
> $ grep -rnH 'Apache Tomcat uses JULI' .
>
>
> ./docs/tomcat-9.0-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for Apache
> Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork
> ./docs/tomcat-8.5-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for Apache
> Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork
> ./docs/tomcat-10.0-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for
> Apache Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork
> ./docs/tomcat-8.0-doc/logging.html:38:      The internal logging for Apache
> Tomcat uses JULI, a packaged renamed fork
>
> grep also does not find the text in any .xml file. Only in .html.

Thanks for looking, Martin.

Here is a direct quote from the site (trunk) README.txt:-

   ***NOTE***
   DO NOT EDIT THE .html files in the docs directory.
   Please follow the directions below for updating the website.
   ***NOTE***
   The Tomcat web site is based on .xml files which are transformed
   into .html files using XSLT and Ant.

So where are the xml files, I wonder?

Brian

> Martin
>
>
>> Brian
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Konstantin Kolinko
In reply to this post by Brian Burch
вт, 24 мар. 2020 г. в 10:12, Brian Burch <[hidden email]>:

>
> I'm quite baffled!
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/source.html gives me the url:-
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site
>
> I made a clean "svn checkout" and referred to the README.txt about the
> source files being xml formatted. I have all the html files, but the
> instructions tell me the real source is the xml. There are a lot of xml
> files, but not for Logging.
>
> Unfortunately, even after trying:-
>
> svn update --set-depth infinity xdocs jk-xdocs native-xdocs
>
> The directory tree does contain several xml files related to logging
> with Tomcat 5, but not the page I want to update.
>
> When I browse:-
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/xdocs/
>
> There are quite a few xml files, but not the one I would like to modify
> - Logging.xml.
>
> What have I misunderstood?

It would be easier if you mentioned the actual public URL of the page
which source code you are looking for.

It looks that you are mixing up 3 different things:

(a) The Wiki site
(b) tomcat.apache.org web site
(c) Documentation for a specific version of Tomcat.

I guess that you are looking for "(c)". That is the "docs" web
application that is distributed with each release of Tomcat, and its
source code is in webapps/docs directory in Tomcat source code (in
Git).

For convenience, once a version of Tomcat is released, a copy of its
documentation is published under "tomcat-X.Y-doc" onto
tomcat.apache.org web site. E.g.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/logging.html
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/9.0.x/webapps/docs/logging.xml

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Christopher Schultz-2
In reply to this post by Brian Burch
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Brian,

On 3/24/20 03:11, Brian Burch wrote:

> I'm quite baffled!
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/source.html gives me the url:-
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site
>
> I made a clean "svn checkout" and referred to the README.txt about
> the source files being xml formatted. I have all the html files,
> but the instructions tell me the real source is the xml. There are
> a lot of xml files, but not for Logging.
>
> Unfortunately, even after trying:-
>
> svn update --set-depth infinity xdocs jk-xdocs native-xdocs
>
> The directory tree does contain several xml files related to
> logging with Tomcat 5, but not the page I want to update.
>
> When I browse:-
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/xdocs/
>
> There are quite a few xml files, but not the one I would like to
> modify - Logging.xml.

The site project is just the basic site. The release-specific files
for the Tomcat user's guide are in the individual branches which are
in git.

If you do a git-clone of e.g. tomcat-9.0.x you'll find logging.xml here:

tomcat-9.0.x$ ls -l webapps/xdocs/logging.xml
- -rw-r--r--  1 bburch  staff  18996 Feb 24 11:29 webapps/docs/logging.xml

- -chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - https://www.enigmail.net/
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=8OqE
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Brian Burch
On 25/3/20 7:41 am, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA256
>
> Brian,

Sorry about this semi-top-post!

Thanks very much Konstantin and Chris for pointing me in the correct
direction.

The external url is:-

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/logging.html#Using_Log4j

Sure enough, this was successful:_

brian@schizo:~/sandboxApache/TOMCAT_8_5_53-dev/tomcat$ find . -iname
"*.xml" | grep -i logging
./webapps/docs/logging.xml

So I had the source all along, but never thought to look there!

Seems like another case where the documentation is misleading to someone
who isn't familiar with the current situation. (I'm used to two other
apache projects where all their web site and wiki source is in one
place, although updating it isn't trivial either!)

I'll get back to my main task now...

Brian

> On 3/24/20 03:11, Brian Burch wrote:
>> I'm quite baffled!
>>
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/source.html gives me the url:-
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site
>>
>> I made a clean "svn checkout" and referred to the README.txt about
>> the source files being xml formatted. I have all the html files,
>> but the instructions tell me the real source is the xml. There are
>> a lot of xml files, but not for Logging.
>>
>> Unfortunately, even after trying:-
>>
>> svn update --set-depth infinity xdocs jk-xdocs native-xdocs
>>
>> The directory tree does contain several xml files related to
>> logging with Tomcat 5, but not the page I want to update.
>>
>> When I browse:-
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk/xdocs/
>>
>> There are quite a few xml files, but not the one I would like to
>> modify - Logging.xml.
>
> The site project is just the basic site. The release-specific files
> for the Tomcat user's guide are in the individual branches which are
> in git.
>
> If you do a git-clone of e.g. tomcat-9.0.x you'll find logging.xml here:
>
> tomcat-9.0.x$ ls -l webapps/xdocs/logging.xml
> - -rw-r--r--  1 bburch  staff  18996 Feb 24 11:29 webapps/docs/logging.xml
>
> - -chris
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - https://www.enigmail.net/
>
> iQIzBAEBCAAdFiEEMmKgYcQvxMe7tcJcHPApP6U8pFgFAl56fnQACgkQHPApP6U8
> pFi3eg/+MO9GKrcIrlesvTE+SMokOoLjpTonABTjdr+GS9524TpXQlT4e5T3unKA
> MjXKlF63kzrrsqpDPXhMBOzaXN83N98XTSWPiP33NNmT375pq9c/ussxR/ECq/mI
> pTbbjoFYYvvySp3S1WJHZKvFpCkWCzkZuGTqNzgoQ/LsKzIZ4uSSN5iDDvIINFoD
> iT2bGEoE+XcRYgw0XGKs1b9idCewUXpfcPPiUW4Fh9AU1+DDBVFpl7cLKj5d0aD9
> 7/fAxuGundxzRWiX0PgnNxHX4Byd9iPgFtkvfWrzIkADv6gHu0wQzDlVr6k9xr18
> 5x+8reQKJlzIq+SfYBFXm5UZMSjjgI+ugKBoZ29X6mrLxk/+ug07Q/dJB3iFWMnX
> 1/zhm9PACufbaszYWOOBLmQ6xk7R3tImwZgJ/99GE+vpjeapulGhXNwzS/35roTz
> P8dKMed1l+U6KdsFZKxZhHSOXvepiplSIYNmF3B25LfvtTXMC22CykAh2HmJAOl8
> JeERxbbW0IV2jL47TeQpVTdMR8wDtIcNSUBbC6/5D69VGiwU4dorsnAiuiAQlTOv
> pD6fGCaSQs9I2Ql98vW43H059fKg814XcnB2m3xzOl0iOpVLXiC6xiUIisws82on
> /BACVOCnhS0WTd4Tq55/ZyZMw3M19+Bo3DFHXQ8vIeyvx4aLxHk=
> =8OqE
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Christopher Schultz-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Brian,

On 3/24/20 17:54, Brian Burch wrote:
> brian@schizo:~/sandboxApache/TOMCAT_8_5_53-dev/tomcat$ find .
> -iname "*.xml" | grep -i logging ./webapps/docs/logging.xml

This makes my heart ache. Try this instead:

brian@schizo:~/sandboxApache/TOMCAT_8_5_53-dev/tomcat$ find . -iname
"logging.xml"

No need to find all files and then grep the list.

>> So I had the source all along, but never thought to look there!
>
>> Seems like another case where the documentation is misleading to
>> someone who isn't familiar with the current situation. (I'm used
>> to two other apache projects where all their web site and wiki
>> source is in one place, although updating it isn't trivial
>> either!)

Does that project maintain 4 separate simultaneous releases? :)

- -chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - https://www.enigmail.net/
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=8EYp
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

markt
On 24/03/2020 22:00, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> On 3/24/20 17:54, Brian Burch wrote:

<snip/>

>>> So I had the source all along, but never thought to look there!
>
>>> Seems like another case where the documentation is misleading to
>>> someone who isn't familiar with the current situation. (I'm used
>>> to two other apache projects where all their web site and wiki
>>> source is in one place, although updating it isn't trivial
>>> either!)
>
> Does that project maintain 4 separate simultaneous releases? :)

Few do but we could still update the source page to make it clearer that
the tomcat-X.Y-docs pages are copies of the documentation web app from
the most recent X.Y release.

Mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Tomcat Wiki Source Code Download

Brian Burch
On 25/3/20 8:09 am, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 24/03/2020 22:00, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> On 3/24/20 17:54, Brian Burch wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>>> So I had the source all along, but never thought to look there!
>>
>>>> Seems like another case where the documentation is misleading to
>>>> someone who isn't familiar with the current situation. (I'm used
>>>> to two other apache projects where all their web site and wiki
>>>> source is in one place, although updating it isn't trivial
>>>> either!)
>>
>> Does that project maintain 4 separate simultaneous releases? :)

No, perhaps two, and not all the time!

I had also completely forgotten that tomcat provides its own local
documentation web pages during installation. If I had remembered, and if
I had fully appreciated that the pages were release-dependent, then I
would have realised why the apache tomcat online source needs to be
segmented.

By way of excuse, I've not needed to work seriously on tomcat for
several years and at my age stuff just slips away with time!

Thanks for making this clear to me. I really appreciate the considerable
patient help from my old-time acquaintances!

> Few do but we could still update the source page to make it clearer that
> the tomcat-X.Y-docs pages are copies of the documentation web app from
> the most recent X.Y release.

Leave it to me. I'll work on a couple of changes and post some diffs to
the dev list soon (days, not weeks, I hope). After that, I'll get back
to the logging documentation changes.

Brian

> Mark
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]