Tomcat5.0 Database Connection Pooling Configuration

Tomcat5.0 Database Connection Pooling Configuration

Foo Shyn
Hi there,

Have a question on dbcp settings. I'd done the settings by configuring the server.xml and the web.xml of my application and it works fine. But since i need to install multiple application on the same Tomcat server, i'll need to place different <context> tag in the server.xml for each application to enable the datasource for each of my apps. Since my apps are all connecting to a same database server, is there any configuration method that allows me to setup once in server.xml (such as setting a 'common context') and let my web.xml to handle the rest?

Thanx.

Regards,
F.S.

Strange problem with tomcat 5.5.9

Paulo Neves
Hi all,

I've a strange problem with my tomcat.

When I have a network problem with my router my tomcat that is install
in another machine reload webapps (balancer, manager, admin ) except
my webapp.
If i run tomcat manager and see webapps list, manager said that webapp
is running but is not.
To solve this problem I have to restart my webapp in tomcat manager or
restart tomcat.

What could be ?

Tech info about my server:
Red Hat 9.0
Tomcat 5.5.9
Java 1.5.0_03

Router is win98 :( with winconnection

Thanks,
Paulo

On 7/14/05, Foo Shyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Have a question on dbcp settings. I'd done the settings by configuring the server.xml and the web.xml of my application and it works fine. But since i need to install multiple application on the same Tomcat server, i'll need to place different <context> tag in the server.xml for each application to enable the datasource for each of my apps. Since my apps are all connecting to a same database server, is there any configuration method that allows me to setup once in server.xml (such as setting a 'common context') and let my web.xml to handle the rest?
>
> Thanx.
>
> Regards,
> F.S.

robots.txt

Eric Pastoor
The msn bot has been hammering one of my webapps for about 2 weeks now. I
have a calendar style transaction page that is not password protected.
Essentially this calendar goes on forever. This means that the msn bot is
basically going on forever.  It is making my log files insanely large.  Is
there a way to create a robots.txt file for basically one servlet instead of
everything?

thanks for your help,
eric

Re: robots.txt

Tim Funk
Place a robots meta tag in the head tag of your html.

-Tim

Eric J. Pastoor wrote:
> The msn bot has been hammering one of my webapps for about 2 weeks now.
> I have a calendar style transaction page that is not password protected.
> Essentially this calendar goes on forever. This means that the msn bot
> is basically going on forever.  It is making my log files insanely
> large.  Is there a way to create a robots.txt file for basically one
> servlet instead of everything?

Re: [OT] robots.txt

Rahul Akolkar
Marked OT.

On 7/14/05, Eric J. Pastoor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The msn bot has been hammering one of my webapps for about 2 weeks now. I
> have a calendar style transaction page that is not password protected.
> Essentially this calendar goes on forever. This means that the msn bot is
> basically going on forever.  It is making my log files insanely large.  Is
> there a way to create a robots.txt file for basically one servlet instead of
> everything?

In theory, yes, by using the disallow directive appropriately. For
example, this snippet recommends all bots stay away from your CGI
scripts.

Disallow: /cgi-bin/

and this one recommends that badbot stays away from the GoodServlet

Disallow: /servlets/GoodServlet

-Rahul

Re: robots.txt

Mark Benussi
With follow = false or something cant remember the exact syntax

Eric J. Pastoor wrote:
>The msn bot has been hammering one of my webapps for about 2 weeks now. I
>have a calendar style transaction page that is not password protected.
>Essentially this calendar goes on forever. This means that the msn bot is
>basically going on forever.  It is making my log files insanely large.  Is
>there a way to create a robots.txt file for basically one servlet instead
>of everything?

Re: robots.txt

Eric Pastoor
thanks for your help with both the meta solution as well as the servlet
solution.

~eric
> With follow = false or something cant remember the exact syntax

Re: Tomcat5.0 Database Connection Pooling Configuration

Alon Belman
you can define resources for all of a host's contexts by using a
GlobalNamingResources element

see here for more info:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/globalresources.html

On 7/13/05, Foo Shyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Have a question on dbcp settings. I'd done the settings by configuring the server.xml and the web.xml of my application and it works fine. But since i need to install multiple application on the same Tomcat server, i'll need to place different <context> tag in the server.xml for each application to enable the datasource for each of my apps. Since my apps are all connecting to a same database server, is there any configuration method that allows me to setup once in server.xml (such as setting a 'common context') and let my web.xml to handle the rest?
>
> Thanx.
>
> Regards,
> F.S.

Starting Tomcat 5.0.19 without the console

Mitchell Teixeira
Hi - I'm trying to use the "javaw" option in catalina.bat to kick off
Tomcat without opening a console window. Besides not having an always open
command prompt window (console) I hope to get the various messages which
print to the console to go into the standard log. I've been experimenting
with the FileLogger settings but not having any success. I've set
SwallowOutput to "false" in hopes of seeing console messages appear in a
log file someplace as well.

I'm using Tomcat 5.0.19 on Windows 2000 with JDK 1.4.2.

I need to start Tomcat from a .bat file since I have extensive extra class
files and configuration to call and that does not seem possible when
running Tomcat as a service using the default installation setup.

Thanks for any help/ideas.
MitchellT

Assistance

Medha Parathasarathy
Hi

By any chance, any body in the group is interested in a party time
assignment of maintaining the my-lending.com site of mine. If any body
is interested, please revert with your profile and cost per hour

regards

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:35:10 -0700 (PDT), "Mitchell Teixeira"
<[hidden email]> said:

> Hi - I'm trying to use the "javaw" option in catalina.bat to kick off
> Tomcat without opening a console window. Besides not having an always
> open
> command prompt window (console) I hope to get the various messages which
> print to the console to go into the standard log. I've been experimenting
> with the FileLogger settings but not having any success. I've set
> SwallowOutput to "false" in hopes of seeing console messages appear in a
> log file someplace as well.
>
> I'm using Tomcat 5.0.19 on Windows 2000 with JDK 1.4.2.
>
> I need to start Tomcat from a .bat file since I have extensive extra
> class
> files and configuration to call and that does not seem possible when
> running Tomcat as a service using the default installation setup.
>
> Thanks for any help/ideas.
> MitchellT

http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

Re: Assistance

Nidhi Batra
Sure, me and Lalit(email ID in the CC) are very much
interested in this. Please let us know the exact
requirements.

-Nidhi (416.848.3719)