Quantcast

Tomcat5 - Error : catalina.bat startup script is missing

Tomcat5 - Error : catalina.bat startup script is missing

Chavadam
Re: Static deployment of a previously tested-out web application (non compressed files)
Dear Good IT Samaritans,

I re-installed all the software applications on my PC, amongst others :
° Windows XP - Home edition - Version 2002 - Service Pack 3
° jdk-6u7-nb-6_1-windows-ml
° apache-tomcat-5.5.27.zip (from the http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi site; not from the jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/ site)
° mysql-5.0.67-win32 + a. dozen of plug-ins (proposed automatically) + choosen plug-ins as for XML
Environment variables JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME have been set on a classical way to their right respective path values (C:\program files\java\jdk1.6.0_07 and C:\Program Files\apache-tomcat-5.5.27).
In NetBeans, I re-installed an existing web application (Java, JSP, servlets, JBeans, SQL, JDBC, XML ...) that I know which was running well on Tomcat before re-installation by simply copying the set of files and folders from the previous installation (static deployment / Same 'Context'). Now in NetBeans, I get the following deployment error at the start of run time : "Starting of Tomcat failed, the C:\Program Files\apache-tomcat-5.5.27\bin\catalina.bat startup script is missing."
In the following developers' forums, I did not found the right remedy or advice to me :
° http://www.nabble.com/netbeans-with-external-tomcat-td16531869.html
° http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=56&t=004230
° http://www.developpez.net/forums/d500395/java/developpement-web-java/tomcat/pb-debugger-tomcat-sous-netbeans-6-0-a/
So, I discarded and re-installed the NetBeans installation from my the "NetBeans jdk-6u7-nb-6_1-windows-ml.exe" installation file (that I put aside previously - It is not an "installer" file that I downloaded); Without success.
Verification of Tools > Servers ... All the settings at the different tabs seem to be OK.
Looking to the"Program Files\apache-tomcat-5.5.27\bin" folder (by means of a DOS-shell), I discovered that this installation of Tomcat does not feature a "catalina.bat" file (that NetBeans assumes to activate), hence "missing script".
Is it true that this problem could be solved if I re-install (again) Tomcat5 in the root of C: (not under C:\Program Files) ? I wonder if the installation wizard enables to make this choice. Or under D:\ ?
Which is the file substituting the catalina.bat file ? In %CATALINA_HOME% directory, isn't it ? How to tell NetBeans to use this file to start up ?
Which other version of apache-tomcat-5.5.27.zip file comes with the start and stop batch files ?
-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
I found the page http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/deployer-howto.html  and especially that ...
[quote]
The locations for Context Descriptors are;
   1. $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml
   2. $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/[webappname]/META-INF/context.xml
Files in (1) are named [webappname].xml but files in (2) are named context.xml.
If a Context Descriptor is not provided for a Context, Tomcat configures the Context using default values.
[/quote]
I observed that ...
° my '[webappname].xml' is present. This file contains a <Context> tag which, among others, contains a 'docBase' attribute whose value is the path to a [webappname]\build\web directory place which in turn contains the directories
   - WEB-INF, containing the 'web.xml' contect file
   - META-INF, containing the 'context.xml' file.
° my 'context.xml' is not present (see above) --> Does Tomcat configure the Context using its default values, or does it make use of the 'context.xml' file in the 'META-INF' directory ?
-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
Kindly help me out, please.
Thanks

Re: Tomcat5 - Error : catalina.bat startup script is missing

André Warnier
In your Tomcat\bin directory, is there a (small) file called tomcat5.exe
, and another called tomcat5w.exe ?
If yes, then this will explain what is currently going on :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/windows-service-howto.html

(Note : it is also linked to what you will find here :
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/
Look for the "procrun" link)

To get the "standard" bin files (including statup.sh), I suggest to
download a "standard" Tomcat, unpack it in a new directory, and then
just copy the missing files from that \bin subdirectory to your current
one.  That will give you a startup.bat, startup.sh etc..

Now, whether this is the "good" solution to your problem below, that I
don't know.