Trailing slash added

lightbulb432
I noticed that Tomcat adds a trailing slash automatically when it detects that the requested resource points to an existing directory. While I know that Apache web server offers plenty of configuration options to control and customize this behavior, I'm unfamiliar with similar customization capability within Tomcat. (Where is this trailing slash behavior specified for Tomcat? Or is it a compiled-in setting function that cannot be changed?)

How can I customize this and other Apache-like settings? Is the only option to front Tomcat with Apache?

Re: Trailing slash added

Tim Funk
There is no way to customize this behavior other than overriding the
default servlet with your own implementation.

-Tim

lightbulb432 wrote:
> I noticed that Tomcat adds a trailing slash automatically when it detects
> that the requested resource points to an existing directory. While I know
> that Apache web server offers plenty of configuration options to control and
> customize this behavior, I'm unfamiliar with similar customization
> capability within Tomcat. (Where is this trailing slash behavior specified
> for Tomcat? Or is it a compiled-in setting function that cannot be changed?)
>
> How can I customize this and other Apache-like settings? Is the only option
> to front Tomcat with Apache?

Re: Trailing slash added

Rashmi Rubdi
I think you can customize it with URL Rewriting Filters.

Google URLRewriteFilter to find pre-built packages, or you can write your own.

-Rashmi

lightbulb432 wrote:
> I noticed that Tomcat adds a trailing slash automatically when it detects
> that the requested resource points to an existing directory. While I know
> that Apache web server offers plenty of configuration options to control and
> customize this behavior, I'm unfamiliar with similar customization
> capability within Tomcat. (Where is this trailing slash behavior specified
> for Tomcat? Or is it a compiled-in setting function that cannot be changed?)
>
> How can I customize this and other Apache-like settings? Is the only option
> to front Tomcat with Apache?

Re: Trailing slash added

Len Popp
Note that if you allow the browser to refer to directories without the
trailing slash, you will break the handling of relative URLs on those
pages. When the user clicks on a link with a relative URL, the browser
has to convert that to an absolute URL. If the browser doesn't know
that the current page is a directory it will calculate the absolute
URL incorrectly.
--
Len

On 1/14/07, Rashmi Rubdi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think you can customize it with URL Rewriting Filters.
>
> Google URLRewriteFilter to find pre-built packages, or you can write your own.
>
> -Rashmi

Re: Trailing slash added

Rashmi Rubdi
Instead of relative URLs, it's better to use context relative URLs.

With context relative URLs if the page containing the context relative links is moved to a different folder the code won't have to change. Context relative URLs always begin with / and start from the root folder of your app, for example /root_folder/somefile.jsp

But, if you use relative URLs then every time you move your file to a different folder the URLs in that file will also have to change depending on the depth of the new folder.
Relative URLs never begin with a / , and they look something like somefolder/somefile.jsp, or ../somefolder/somefile.jsp

I haven't tested the effect of URL Rewriting on the trailing slash on context relative URLs.

But with URL Rewriting may of Apache's features, become available on Tomcat as well. For example you can rewrite http://www.domainname.com to http://domainname.com

-Rashmi

Note that if you allow the browser to refer to directories without the
trailing slash, you will break the handling of relative URLs on those
pages. When the user clicks on a link with a relative URL, the browser
has to convert that to an absolute URL. If the browser doesn't know
that the current page is a directory it will calculate the absolute
URL incorrectly.
--
Len

On 1/14/07, Rashmi Rubdi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think you can customize it with URL Rewriting Filters.
>
> Google URLRewriteFilter to find pre-built packages, or you can write your own.
>
> -Rashmi

Re: Trailing slash added

Len Popp
If you move a file you will have to fix some links, no matter what
sort of URLs you use. If nothing else, the links that referred to the
moved file will be broken. But regardless, there are many web sites
that do use relative URLs, and that would be a problem in this case.

It doesn't matter if it's done by URLRewriteFilter or some other
method because it's the browser that interprets the relative URLs, not
the server. If the containing page's URL looks like a file when it's
really a directory, the browser will get them wrong. That's why the
usual behaviour for servers is to use a re-direct to add "/" or
"/index.html" or something. The only other correct response to a
"bare" directory name would be to return an error, which is
inconvenient for users.
--
Len

On 1/14/07, Rashmi Rubdi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Instead of relative URLs, it's better to use context relative URLs.
>
> With context relative URLs if the page containing the context relative links is moved to a different folder the code won't have to change. Context relative URLs always begin with / and start from the root folder of your app, for example /root_folder/somefile.jsp
>
> But, if you use relative URLs then every time you move your file to a different folder the URLs in that file will also have to change depending on the depth of the new folder.
> Relative URLs never begin with a / , and they look something like somefolder/somefile.jsp, or ../somefolder/somefile.jsp
>
> I haven't tested the effect of URL Rewriting on the trailing slash on context relative URLs.
>
> But with URL Rewriting may of Apache's features, become available on Tomcat as well. For example you can rewrite http://www.domainname.com to http://domainname.com
>
> -Rashmi

Re: Trailing slash added

lightbulb432
Could anyone please expand a little more on what's meant by the two statements below?

Len Popp wrote
.
If the containing page's URL looks like a file when it's
really a directory, the browser will get them wrong.

Re: Trailing slash added

Rashmi Rubdi
Could you explain to us, why you want to get rid of the trailing slash ?

>Could anyone please expand a little more on what's meant by the two
>statements below?

>>Len Popp wrote:
>>
>> It doesn't matter if it's done by URLRewriteFilter or some other
>> method because it's the browser that interprets the relative URLs, not
>> the server.

URLRewriteFilter is an application that allows you to rewrite URLs, that means, for example if you have a URL like
http://localhost:8080/page.jsp?param1=499&amp;param2=333  , with URL rewriting you can represent it anyway you want with a regular expession pattern
that means you can represent it like this

http://localhost:8080/page/499/333/  , or any other pattern.

But what Len is saying (and I verified that he's right), is that URL Rewriting will not help in eliminating the trailing slash because it's the browser that does the URL translation.

I tried URL rewriting with this pattern to test your case:
    <rule>
        <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
        <from>(.*)/</from>
        <to>(.*)</to>
    </rule>

When I tried http://localhost:8080   , instead of http://localhost:8080/  it didn't work, just showed a blank screen.

I had to delete the URL rewriting rule, only after that it worked.

> If the containing page's URL looks like a file when it's
> really a directory, the browser will get them wrong.

Re: Trailing slash added

Len Popp
I was talking about what the browser does when you click on a link in
a web page.
Suppose you have a web page called
http://www.example.com/directory/page1.html and it contains this
hyperlink:
When you click on that link, the browser has to figure out what
"page2.html" refers to. It's relative to the current page, so the
browser will request http://www.example.com/directory/page2.html.

Now suppose the page containing that link is
"http://www.example.com/directory/". The trailing "/" means that this
is logically a directory so when you click on that link the browser
requests http://www.example.com/directory/page2.html (same as before).

Now remove the trailing slash, so the web page's URL is
"http://www.example.com/directory". To the browser, this looks like a
file called "directory" in the directory "/". So when you click on the
Page 2 link you'll get http://www.example.com/page2.html which is
wrong.

That's why web servers don't treat http://www.example.com/directory/
and http://www.example.com/directory as the same thing - if they did,
relative links would sometimes fail, depending how you typed the URL
into the browser. Instead, as a convenience for those of us who are
too lazy to type the trailing "/", the web server will make sure the
URL ends with a "/" by sending a redirect response to force the
browser to fetch the correct URL.
--
Len

On 1/15/07, lightbulb432 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could anyone please expand a little more on what's meant by the two
> statements below?
>

> Len Popp wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't matter if it's done by URLRewriteFilter or some other
> > method because it's the browser that interprets the relative URLs, not
> > the server.
> >

> > If the containing page's URL looks like a file when it's
> > really a directory, the browser will get them wrong.

Re: Trailing slash added

lightbulb432
I want to get rid of the trailing slash for style issues (really a small concern) and also to learn about customization within Tomcat as well as URL rewriting.

Regarding URL rewriting, did you mean the following?

    <rule>
        <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
        <from>(.*)/</from>
        <to>$1</to>
    </rule>

Perhaps that works rather than a <to> value of (.*)

Are you sure about what you said: "URL Rewriting will not help in eliminating the trailing slash because it's the browser that does the URL translation." The way I interpreted Len's comments were that it's the server that does the URL creation/translation, and the browser that does URL resolution...two different concepts...

Rashmi Rubdi wrote

http://localhost:8080/page.jsp?param1=499&param2=333  , with URL rewriting you can represent it anyway you want with a regular expession pattern
that means you can represent it like this

http://localhost:8080/page/499/333/  , or any other pattern.

But what Len is saying (and I verified that he's right), is that URL Rewriting will not help in eliminating the trailing slash because it's the browser that does the URL translation.

I tried URL rewriting with this pattern to test your case:
    <rule>
        <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
        <from>(.*)/</from>
        <to>(.*)</to>
    </rule>

When I tried http://localhost:8080   , instead of http://localhost:8080/  it didn't work, just showed a blank screen.

I had to delete the URL rewriting rule, only after that it worked.

> If the containing page's URL looks like a file when it's
> really a directory, the browser will get them wrong.

Re: Trailing slash added

Len Popp
I think Rashmi and I mean the same thing by "translation" and "resolution".
Yes, the browser does the URL resolution, and if you have relative
URLs then the trailing slash is meaningful. If you remove it you will
change the meaning of relative URLs on that page.
--
Len

On 1/17/07, lightbulb432 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to get rid of the trailing slash for style issues (really a small
> concern) and also to learn about customization within Tomcat as well as URL
> rewriting.
>
> Regarding URL rewriting, did you mean the following?
>
>     <rule>
>         <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
>         <from>(.*)/</from>
>         <to>$1</to>
>     </rule>
>
> Perhaps that works rather than a <to> value of (.*)
>
> Are you sure about what you said: "URL Rewriting will not help in
> eliminating the trailing slash because it's the browser that does the URL
> translation." The way I interpreted Len's comments were that it's the server
> that does the URL creation/translation, and the browser that does URL
> resolution...two different concepts...
>

> Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> >
> > Could you explain to us, why you want to get rid of the trailing slash ?
> >

> >>Could anyone please expand a little more on what's meant by the two
> >>statements below?

> > URLRewriteFilter is an application that allows you to rewrite URLs, that
> > means, for example if you have a URL like
> > http://localhost:8080/page.jsp?param1=499&param2=333  , with URL
> > rewriting you can represent it anyway you want with a regular expession
> > pattern
> > that means you can represent it like this
> >
> > http://localhost:8080/page/499/333/  , or any other pattern.
> >

> > But what Len is saying (and I verified that he's right), is that URL
> > Rewriting will not help in eliminating the trailing slash because it's the
> > browser that does the URL translation.
> >
> > I tried URL rewriting with this pattern to test your case:
> >     <rule>
> >         <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
> >         <from>(.*)/</from>
> >         <to>(.*)</to>
> >     </rule>
> >
> > When I tried http://localhost:8080   , instead of http://localhost:8080/
> > it didn't work, just showed a blank screen.
> >
> > I had to delete the URL rewriting rule, only after that it worked.
> >
> >> If the containing page's URL looks like a file when it's
> >> really a directory, the browser will get them wrong.

Re: Trailing slash added

Rashmi Rubdi
>I think Rashmi and I mean the same thing by "translation" and "resolution".
>Yes, the browser does the URL resolution, and if you have relative
>URLs then the trailing slash is meaningful. If you remove it you will
>change the meaning of relative URLs on that page.
>Len

On 1/17/07, lightbulb432 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to get rid of the trailing slash for style issues (really a small
> concern) and also to learn about customization within Tomcat as well as URL
> rewriting.

I think the benefits of keeping the trailing slash far outweight the benefits (if any) of removing it.

If you want Apache's features with Tomcat, you might already know about Connectors, with them you can
connect Tomcat to Apache, and make use of Apache's capabilities along with Tomcat.
Here are the benefits: http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/connectors.html#integrate

URL rewriting is very useful, if you are aiming at making URLs search engine friendly,
you can make dynamic URLs appear as if they are static to both search engines and users.

> Regarding URL rewriting, did you mean the following?
>
>     <rule>
>         <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
>         <from>(.*)/</from>
>         <to>$1</to>
>     </rule>
>
> Perhaps that works rather than a <to> value of (.*)

Sorry, my mistake. The above syntax is correct (not the one I gave previously). Although the above syntax is correct it still doesn't work when I tried it, it simply tried to show the directory listing instead of rendering the page at the directory.

> Are you sure about what you said: "URL Rewriting will not help in
> eliminating the trailing slash because it's the browser that does the URL
> translation." The way I interpreted Len's comments were that it's the server
> that does the URL creation/translation, and the browser that does URL
> resolution...two different concepts...

There is some long discussion along the same lines
http://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2004-December/004395.html