Unclear sentence in FailedRequestFilter's javadoc

Unclear sentence in FailedRequestFilter's javadoc

Martin Grigorov
Hi,

What is the meaning of "addresses" at
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/a0fb5f4b42c593fa566878dddfa213e5f3c9c499/java/org/apache/catalina/filters/FailedRequestFilter.java#L40
?

"Parameter parsing does check content type of the request, so there should
not be problems with *addresses* that use

I am not English native speaker, so it might be correct, but it looks like
the wrong word is used here.

Martin

Re: Unclear sentence in FailedRequestFilter's javadoc

Konstantin Kolinko
пн, 5 окт. 2020 г. в 14:16, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> What is the meaning of "addresses" at
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/a0fb5f4b42c593fa566878dddfa213e5f3c9c499/java/org/apache/catalina/filters/FailedRequestFilter.java#L40
> ?
>
> "Parameter parsing does check content type of the request, so there should
> not be problems with *addresses* that use
>
> I am not English native speaker, so it might be correct, but it looks like
> the wrong word is used here.

It looks odd for me as well, although from the commit history it looks
that it was my commit that added that sentence [1], 9 years ago.

Essentially, the text should be the same as in description of the
filter in Configuration Reference [2][3]. It talks about "the servlet
protected by this filter".

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1198707
[2] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1200107
[3] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/filter.html#Failed_Request_Filter

It looks as if you are the first person who has read that Javadoc in 9 years.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Unclear sentence in FailedRequestFilter's javadoc

Martin Grigorov
Hi Konstantin,

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 2:53 PM Konstantin Kolinko <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> пн, 5 окт. 2020 г. в 14:16, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the meaning of "addresses" at
> >
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/a0fb5f4b42c593fa566878dddfa213e5f3c9c499/java/org/apache/catalina/filters/FailedRequestFilter.java#L40
> > ?
> >
> > "Parameter parsing does check content type of the request, so there
> should
> > not be problems with *addresses* that use
> > <code>request.getInputStream()</code> and
> <code>request.getReader()</code>"
> >
> > I am not English native speaker, so it might be correct, but it looks
> like
> > the wrong word is used here.
>
> It looks odd for me as well, although from the commit history it looks
> that it was my commit that added that sentence [1], 9 years ago.
>
> Essentially, the text should be the same as in description of the
> filter in Configuration Reference [2][3]. It talks about "the servlet
> protected by this filter".
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1198707
> [2] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1200107
> [3]
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/filter.html#Failed_Request_Filter

Thanks for the answer!
I've updated it to use the same text as at the website docs.

> It looks as if you are the first person who has read that Javadoc in 9
> years.

Yeah, usually people read the code, not the docs :-)

Cheers!
Martin