[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Mark Thomas-2
The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
voting.

Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to jakarta.*
Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without changes.

The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:

- Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
  expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.

- The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
  Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
  and NIO2.

- Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
  the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
  the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
  call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f

The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Mark Thomas-2
On 03/12/2020 10:43, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to jakarta.*
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without changes.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:
>
> - Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
>   expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.
>
> - The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
>   Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
>   and NIO2.
>
> - Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
>   the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
>   the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
>   call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/

Correction. The staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1288/

Mark

> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
> 4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f
>
> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

remm
On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 11:50 AM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
> jakarta.*
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
> changes.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:
>
> - Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
>   expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.
>
> - The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
>   Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
>   and NIO2.
>
> - Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
>   the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
>   the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
>   call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
> 4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f
>
> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

Hopefully no surprises ! I think Mark deserves a big round of applause for
all the extra polishing that was done.

Personally, I want to see the feedback on the Jakarta migration, and if
people are happy with something like the tool or if they really want
deploy/classload time scary magic.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Igal Sapir-2
On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 2:50 AM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
> jakarta.*
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
> changes.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:
>
> - Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
>   expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.
>
> - The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
>   Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
>   and NIO2.
>
> - Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
>   the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
>   the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
>   call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
> 4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f
>
> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

Tested on Ubuntu 20.04 with Java 13.0.4 and TC-Native 1.2.25

Best,

Igal

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Michael Osipov
Am 2020-12-03 um 11:43 schrieb Mark Thomas:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to jakarta.*
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without changes.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:
>
> - Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
>    expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.
>
> - The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
>    Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
>    and NIO2.
>
> - Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
>    the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
>    the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
>    call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
> 4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f
>
> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

This is confusing. You are casting a vote von a GA version: 10.0.0, but
provide to mark this as beta? Huh? Shouldn't this be a binary vote?
Either we can go GA and it is stable or this is broken and needs fixing
and should remain on a milestone (which does not imply any alpha, beta,
or RC quality).

Michael

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Mladen Turk-3
On 03/12/2020 11:43, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
> voting.

The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
  [ ] Broken - do not release
  [x] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
  [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

Tested on Windows for basic functionality using JDK 15
It even works as service with my SvcBatch :D

I'll go with the heard and vote beta

Regards
--
^TM

On 05/12/2020 12:59, Michael Osipov wrote:

> Am 2020-12-03 um 11:43 schrieb Mark Thomas:
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
>> voting.
>>
>> Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
>> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
>> jakarta.*
>> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
>> changes.
>>
>> The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:
>>
>> - Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
>>    expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.
>>
>> - The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
>>    Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
>>    and NIO2.
>>
>> - Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
>>    the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
>>    the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
>>    call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.
>>
>> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>>

>> For full details, see the changelog:
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
>> The Maven staging repo is:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
>> The tag is:
>> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
>> 4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f
>>
>> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)
>
> This is confusing. You are casting a vote von a GA version: 10.0.0, but
> provide to mark this as beta? Huh? Shouldn't this be a binary vote?

This is broadly in line with how we have done this previously.

-Mxx or -RCxx while the build is considered alpha (spec APIs
implementation incomplete and/or specs not final)

Drop the modifier and switch to beta once the spec APIs are known to be
final.

Switch from beta to stable based on user feedback, severity of bugs
reports, number of regressions etc.

We could, perhaps consider something like:

-Mxx == alpha
-RCxx == beta
<none> == stable

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Martin Grigorov
On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:50 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
> jakarta.*
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
> changes.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:
>
> - Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
>   expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.
>
> - The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
>   Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
>   and NIO2.
>
> - Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
>   the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
>   the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
>   call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>

> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
> 4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f
>
> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

Regards,
Martin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

ebourg
Le 03/12/2020 à 11:43, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

+1, ok in Debian

Emmanuel Bourg

Le 03/12/2020 à 15:16, Rémy Maucherat a écrit :

> Hopefully no surprises ! I think Mark deserves a big round of applause for
> all the extra polishing that was done.

+1 !

> Personally, I want to see the feedback on the Jakarta migration, and if
> people are happy with something like the tool or if they really want
> deploy/classload time scary magic.

Should Tomcat 10 get such a feature I think I'd push to make it the
supported version of Tomcat in Debian 11 (to be released next year).

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Mark Thomas-2
On 03/12/2020 10:43, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

Unit tests pass for NIO, NIO2 and APR/Native on Windows, Linux and MacOs.

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Mark Thomas-2
The following votes were case:

Binding:
+1 (beta): remm, isapir, mturk, mgrigorov, ebourg, markt

No other votes were cast.

The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

Am 2020-12-06 um 10:44 schrieb Mark Thomas:

> On 05/12/2020 12:59, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2020-12-03 um 11:43 schrieb Mark Thomas:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
>>> voting.
>>>
>>> Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
>>> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
>>> jakarta.*
>>> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:
>>>
>>> - Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
>>>     expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.
>>>
>>> - The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
>>>     Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
>>>     and NIO2.
>>>
>>> - Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
>>>     the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
>>>     the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
>>>     call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.
>>>
>>> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>>>

>>> For full details, see the changelog:
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html
>>>
>>> It can be obtained from:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
>>> The Maven staging repo is:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
>>> The tag is:
>>> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
>>> 4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f
>>>
>>> The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
>>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>>> [ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
>>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)
>>
>> This is confusing. You are casting a vote von a GA version: 10.0.0, but
>> provide to mark this as beta? Huh? Shouldn't this be a binary vote?
>
> This is broadly in line with how we have done this previously.
>
> -Mxx or -RCxx while the build is considered alpha (spec APIs
> implementation incomplete and/or specs not final)

That's true, but we can always improve user's perception of your naming
scheme. If it is confusing for me, so it will be for others.

> We could, perhaps consider something like:
>
> -Mxx == alpha
> -RCxx == beta
> <none> == stable

If you have a mapping, you can safely drop it and use the target values
for the sake of simplicity. No interpretations necessary.

That's my POV.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Michael Osipov
Am 2020-12-08 um 18:17 schrieb Mark Thomas:

> The following votes were case:
>
> Binding:
> +1 (beta): remm, isapir, mturk, mgrigorov, ebourg, markt
>
> No other votes were cast.
>
> The vote therefore passes.
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

So, from the subject people get the impression Tomcat has gone GA while
the body of the result contradicts. This should really be 10.0.0-beta-1
in the subject.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Mark,

On 12/8/20 12:17, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The following votes were case:
>
> Binding:
> +1 (beta): remm, isapir, mturk, mgrigorov, ebourg, markt
>
> No other votes were cast.
>
> The vote therefore passes.
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

Someone reported on the users' list it appears that PGP signatures are
missing for the .zip and .tar.gz artifacts. Other signatures are
available on the web server @
https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/bin/

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.0

Mark Thomas-2

> Mark,
>
> On 12/8/20 12:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The following votes were case:
>>
>> Binding:
>> +1 (beta): remm, isapir, mturk, mgrigorov, ebourg, markt
>>
>> No other votes were cast.
>>
>> The vote therefore passes.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.
>
> Someone reported on the users' list it appears that PGP signatures are
> missing for the .zip and .tar.gz artifacts. Other signatures are
> available on the web server @
> https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/bin/

Hmm. This again. I wish I knew what was going on.

I have the original release directory. I'll get the sigs added.