Version migration problems

Niranjan Rao
Greetings,

I am trying to migrate from 7.0.73 to 9.0.36 and facing challenges.

Java version and operating system version remains same in both cases.

I have carefully reviewed the configurations and everything looks ok.
Version 9 does not report any problems when starting the application
either in catalina.out file or in the application log file.

Applications has bunch of JSP pages which sit under WEB-INF/jsp/pages
directory and some of these pages include fragments from
WEB-INF/jsp/fragments directory. In the older version V7 this works
correctly, but in V9 I get error about include not not found. Page do
get resolved correctly, but includes do not.

Given only change is tomcat version as it's same WAR file deployed on
same operating system and same java version, I am thinking I am missing
some basic change in tomcat JSP lookup for version 9.

Can anyone please point me what I can be doing wrong or what I need to
do so that same WAR file works in both versions

Regards,

Niranjan

Re: Version migration problems

Re: Version migration problems

> Niranjan,
>
> On 6/18/20 13:47, Niranjan Rao wrote:
>> I am trying to migrate from 7.0.73 to 9.0.36 and facing
>> challenges.
>
>> Java version and operating system version remains same in both
>> cases.
>
> ... and what are those versions?
>
>> I have carefully reviewed the configurations and everything looks
>> ok. Version 9 does not report any problems when starting the
>> application either in catalina.out file or in the application log
>> file.
>
> Good.
>
>> Applications has bunch of JSP pages which sit under
>> WEB-INF/jsp/pages directory and some of these pages include
>> fragments from WEB-INF/jsp/fragments directory. In the older
>> version V7 this works correctly, but in V9 I get error about
>> include not not found. Page do get resolved correctly, but includes
>> do not.
>
> Can you give some examples?

+1. The simplest test case that demonstrates the issue would be good.
That should be a JSP, a JSP fragment and the appropriate directory
structure.

Mark

>> Given only change is tomcat version as it's same WAR file deployed
>> on same operating system and same java version, I am thinking I am
>> missing some basic change in tomcat JSP lookup for version 9.
>

>> Can anyone please point me what I can be doing wrong or what I need
>> to do so that same WAR file works in both versions
>
> -chris

Re: Version migration problems

Niranjan Rao
Hi Mark/Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

It's a spring application, related controllers/methods basically return
page name as return "pages/Login".

The view resolver maps it WEB-INF/jsp/pages/Login.jsp.

Login.jsp has entry that says

<jsp:include page="jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp"/>

This entry gets resolved correctly in V7, but V9 I get error can not
find pages/jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp.

After playing with it couple of hours, I figured out full path works. So
issue seems to be root context/directory of jsp engine that was WEB-INF
seems to have changed to current directory where page is getting loaded.
JSP generation still generates same line for both of them like following.

org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.include(request, response,
"jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp", out, false);

But v9 interprets it relative to directory of current jsp that is in my
case WEB-INF/jsp/pages and older engine interprets it relative to
WEB-INF directory.

JDK version 1.8.0_111, Operating system is 16.04.6. It's same WAR file
getting deployed in both tomcat versions. Only difference is server.xml
has different ports.

Regards,

Niranjan

On 6/19/20 13:17, Niranjan Rao wrote:

> Hi Mark/Chris,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> It's a spring application, related controllers/methods basically
> return page name as return "pages/Login".
>
> The view resolver maps it WEB-INF/jsp/pages/Login.jsp.
>
> Login.jsp has entry that says
>
> <jsp:include page="jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp"/>
>
> This entry gets resolved correctly in V7, but V9 I get error can
> not find pages/jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp.
>
> After playing with it couple of hours, I figured out full path
> works. So issue seems to be root context/directory of jsp engine
> that was WEB-INF seems to have changed to current directory where
> page is getting loaded. JSP generation still generates same line
> for both of them like following.
>
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.include(request,
> response, "jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp", out, false);
>
> But v9 interprets it relative to directory of current jsp that is
> in my case WEB-INF/jsp/pages and older engine interprets it
> relative to WEB-INF directory.
>
> JDK version 1.8.0_111, Operating system is 16.04.6. It's same WAR
> file getting deployed in both tomcat versions. Only difference is
> server.xml has different ports.

I've never done this kind of thing (I tend not to use very many JSPs),
but I think you probably want all your file paths to start with "/".
So that should be:

<jsp:include page="/jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp"/>

or maybe:

<jsp:include page="/WEB-INF/jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp"/>

... unless the path is supposed to be relative to "Login.jsp".

Do you have these two files?

WEB-INF/pages/Login.jsp
WEB-INF/pages/jsp/fragments/commonData.jsp

?

If not, then your application isn't built properly. These rules have
always been the case, though, so I'm not sure why it would have worked
on Tomcat 7 but no longer works on Tomcat 9.

- -chris