WAR Deployment via Manager and Ant Tasks during Development

WAR Deployment via Manager and Ant Tasks during Development

Gregg D Bolinger
I am using Tomcat 5.5.12 but this has been an issue since the first
5.5.xrelease.  During development I've been trying to use both
Tomcat's ant tasks
as well as the browser interface to the Manager to deploy, start, stop,
undeploy my webapp.  I start Tomcat, and I deploy using either method.  This
works.  Now, I make some changes and I need to redeploy.

I've tried stopping the webapp. This seems to work, so then I try undeploy.
This removes the WAR file and the context.xml (which as renamed when
deployed) but leaves a webapp folder because Tomcat still retains holds on a
few resources like some JAR files in the WEB-INF/lib folder.  So then when I
try and redeploy, nothing works after that.

If I simply redeploy without stopping the webapp, pretty much the same
results.

If I stop, redeploy, start, same results.

So am I doing anything in the wrong order or is Tomcat just a bit buggy
these days when it comes to these actions?

Thanks.

Gregg Bolinger

Re: WAR Deployment via Manager and Ant Tasks during Development

Glen Mazza-4
Gregg D Bolinger wrote:

> I am using Tomcat 5.5.12 but this has been an issue since the first
> 5.5.xrelease.  During development I've been trying to use both
> Tomcat's ant tasks
> as well as the browser interface to the Manager to deploy, start, stop,
> undeploy my webapp.  I start Tomcat, and I deploy using either method.  This
> works.  Now, I make some changes and I need to redeploy.
>
> I've tried stopping the webapp. This seems to work, so then I try undeploy.
> This removes the WAR file and the context.xml (which as renamed when
> deployed) but leaves a webapp folder because Tomcat still retains holds on a
> few resources like some JAR files in the WEB-INF/lib folder.  So then when I
> try and redeploy, nothing works after that.
>
> If I simply redeploy without stopping the webapp, pretty much the same
> results.
>
> If I stop, redeploy, start, same results.
>
> So am I doing anything in the wrong order or is Tomcat just a bit buggy
> these days when it comes to these actions?

Perhaps the latter--I'm having a similar problem.  I use
TC5.5.12/Windows, and within HTML Manager, undeploy & deploy new webapp
will work the first 1-3 times but it starts failing after that, forcing
me to shut down and restart TC in order to get a deploy to work.  I hope
to be able to look into it more and see if I can figure out why this is
occurring.

Glen

http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/windows.html#lock