Wait... NULL address in java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null> ???

Wait... NULL address in java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null> ???

Eric Robinson
Getting error:

java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null>:3787

I know how to fix the infamous "Address already in use (Bind failed)" problem when there is another process already listening on a port. However, I have confirmed with netstat and fuser that there is no other process listening on that port. Could the problem be that the host address is null for some reason? I don't recall seeing that before, and Google diving came up dry.

-Eric

Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

Re: Wait... NULL address in java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null> ???

Martin Grigorov
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 19:34 Eric Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Getting error:
>
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null>:3787

Please paste more lines of the exception.
Also please tell us which version of JDK/JRE you use.
This exception is very cryptic and does not usually tell which address is
in use. I.e. 3787 is not the port, as you might think. Most probably it is
a line in some class.

> I know how to fix the infamous "Address already in use (Bind failed)"
> problem when there is another process already listening on a port. However,
> I have confirmed with netstat and fuser that there is no other process
> listening on that port. Could the problem be that the host address is null
> for some reason? I don't recall seeing that before, and Google diving came
> up dry.
>
> -Eric
>

> Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
> and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email.
> author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management.
> Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable
> precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company
> cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of
> this email or attachments.

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 19:34 Eric Robinson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Getting error:
> >
> > java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed)
> > <null>:3787
> >

> Please paste more lines of the exception.
> Also please tell us which version of JDK/JRE you use.
> This exception is very cryptic and does not usually tell which address is in use.
> I.e. 3787 is not the port, as you might think. Most probably it is a line in some
> class.

Tomcat: Apache Tomcat/8.5.51
JVM: 1.8.0_241-b08

The following error appears in catalina.out under tomcat 8. It does not mention the null. We tried it under tomcat 7 as well, and that is where it mentions the null.

17-Mar-2021 11:12:54.039 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-3787"]
17-Mar-2021 11:12:54.048 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initInternal Failed to initialize connector [Connector[HTTP/1.1-3787]]
        org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization failed
                at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:1032)
                at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:136)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initInternal(StandardService.java:552)
                at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:136)
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initInternal(StandardServer.java:848)
                at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:136)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:639)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:662)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:303)
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:473)
        Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
                at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
                at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:433)
                at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:425)
                at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:220)
                at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:85)
                at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.bind(NioEndpoint.java:221)
                at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.init(AbstractEndpoint.java:1118)
                at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractJsseEndpoint.init(AbstractJsseEndpoint.java:223)
                at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init(AbstractProtocol.java:587)
                at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Protocol.init(AbstractHttp11Protocol.java:74)
                at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:1030)
                ... 13 more

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 20:27 Eric Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

This line says that 3787 is the port indeed.
Are you sure it is not bound?

> [...]

> > > precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the
> > > company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising
> > > from the use of this email or attachments.
> > >
> Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
> and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email.
> author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management.
> Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable
> precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company
> cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of
> this email or attachments.

Re: Wait... NULL address in java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null> ???

Christopher Schultz-2
Eric and Martin,

On 3/17/21 15:35, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 20:27 Eric Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also, please post your <Connector>s from conf/server.xml.

You mentioned "<null>:3787" in your error message but I don't see that
in the exception. Are you sure you are posting everything?

RE: Wait... NULL address in java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null> ???

Eric Robinson

100% sure, unless there's an invisible process using it. netstat and fuser both show nothing.

> [...]
> > company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising
> > from the use of this email or attachments.

Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

RE: Wait... NULL address in java.net.BindException: Address already in use (Bind failed) <null> ???

Hi Chris --

I mentioned in the email that the null reference appears in the catalina log when we use tomcat 7. It does not appear when we use tomcat 8. Although it fails to bind either way.

Here's the connector.

    <Connector port="3787" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
                connectionTimeout="20000"
                redirectPort="8443"
                maxKeepAliveRequests="-1"
                enableLookups="false"
                maxThreads="150"
                acceptCount="100"
                compression="on"
                compressionMinSize="2048"
                server=" "
                relaxedQueryChars="^{}[]|&quot;&lt;&gt;"
                compressableMimeType="text/xml,text/javascript,text/html,text/css,text/plain,application/javascript,application/xml,application/json" -->