What exactly is "tenured-SOA"?

James H. H. Lampert
In at least two of our Tomcat installations, the Server Status page of
Manager is showing "tenured-SOA" around 3G, while the other pools are
showing much lower. What exactly *is* "tenured-SOA," and should this be
cause for alarm?

--
JHHL

RE: What exactly is "tenured-SOA"?

John.E.Gregg-2
James,

The IBM J9 garbage collector splits the old (tenured) generation into soa and loa.  That's "small object area" and "large object area."  Small objects are moved to soa and large objects to loa.  In my very limited experience with J9, most of the action is in soa.  3GB alone doesn't mean much of anything.  It's not good or bad.  What really matters is how fast it grows because full GCs are more expensive than young GCs.  In general, the heap regions should be sized to ensure objects "die young," meaning they should die before they get promoted to the old gen.