manager/admin login problem

Phil Manheim
Hi,

I recently installed Crystal Reports XI on one of my servers.  This included
an installation of Tomcat.  I am trying to log in to both the administration
and manager consoles, but cannot get it to work.  I have added the following
record to the tomcat-users.xml file:

<user username="foo" password="bar" roles="admin,manager"/>

It will not allow me to log in with the new username and password.  I also
tried adding admin or manager to the roles list for one of the default
users, but that did not work either.  In some of the documentation,
"username" is replaced with "name", so I tried that too.  Still no good.  I
am starting to think that maybe the logins aren't running off of the
tomcat-users.xml file, but as far as I know, I did a standard installation.
Maybe CR XI does a different type of install that I don't know about.
Please advise me on how to log in to these two portals.

Thanks,

Phil Manheim
GiveAnything.com

Re: manager/admin login problem

Parsons Technical Services
Look in the server.xml  That is where you will find where the username and
password is being looked up at. If the comments are there then they will
explain the configuration. If there are no comments then download the
matching version of Tomcat and look at the virgin server.xml for the
comments.

Doug

> I recently installed Crystal Reports XI on one of my servers.  This
> included
> an installation of Tomcat.  I am trying to log in to both the
> administration
> and manager consoles, but cannot get it to work.  I have added the
> following
> record to the tomcat-users.xml file:
>
> <user username="foo" password="bar" roles="admin,manager"/>
>
> It will not allow me to log in with the new username and password.  I also
> tried adding admin or manager to the roles list for one of the default
> users, but that did not work either.  In some of the documentation,
> "username" is replaced with "name", so I tried that too.  Still no good.
> am starting to think that maybe the logins aren't running off of the
> tomcat-users.xml file, but as far as I know, I did a standard
> installation.
> Maybe CR XI does a different type of install that I don't know about.
> Please advise me on how to log in to these two portals.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil Manheim
> GiveAnything.com

RE: manager/admin login problem

Phil Manheim
In server.xml, it has the path to tomcat-users.xml as the pathname.  Is
there something I am missing when adding the new user?  I just opened up
tomcat-users.xml in wordpad or notepad and added a line.  It seemed like
that was all that was necessary.  Any other thoughts?

Phil

> I recently installed Crystal Reports XI on one of my servers.  This
> included
> an installation of Tomcat.  I am trying to log in to both the
> administration
> and manager consoles, but cannot get it to work.  I have added the
> following
> record to the tomcat-users.xml file:
>
> <user username="foo" password="bar" roles="admin,manager"/>
>
> It will not allow me to log in with the new username and password.  I also
> tried adding admin or manager to the roles list for one of the default
> users, but that did not work either.  In some of the documentation,
> "username" is replaced with "name", so I tried that too.  Still no good.
> am starting to think that maybe the logins aren't running off of the
> tomcat-users.xml file, but as far as I know, I did a standard
> installation.
> Maybe CR XI does a different type of install that I don't know about.
> Please advise me on how to log in to these two portals.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil Manheim
> GiveAnything.com

Re: manager/admin login problem

Lutz Zetzsche
Hi Phil,

Am Freitag, 6. Mai 2005 21:51 schrieb Phil Manheim:
> I recently installed Crystal Reports XI on one of my servers.  This
> included an installation of Tomcat.  I am trying to log in to both
> the administration and manager consoles, but cannot get it to work.
> I have added the following record to the tomcat-users.xml file:
>
> <user username="foo" password="bar" roles="admin,manager"/>
>
> It will not allow me to log in with the new username and password.

You don't mention that you have also defined the roles in the
tomcat-users.xml:

  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>

Have you missed to mention that, or have you missed to add them to the
file?

Best wishes

Lutz

RE: manager/admin login problem

Phil Manheim
I did add those two lines as well.  Is that all that is necessary to add new
roles?  Do I need to define those roles or their rights somewhere?

Am Freitag, 6. Mai 2005 22:54 schrieb Phil Manheim:
> I did add those two lines as well.  Is that all that is necessary to
> add new roles?  Do I need to define those roles or their rights
> somewhere?

No, if you have defined in the server.xml that the tomcat-users.xml will
be used for user authentication then this is all you have to change.

Did you restart the server after having changed the tomcat-users.xml?
This is necessary to activate changes to this file.

Best wishes

Lutz

RE: manager/admin login problem

Phil Manheim
That was the problem.  Thanks a lot.  I guess I missed that step somehow.

Thanks.
Phil

Am Freitag, 6. Mai 2005 22:54 schrieb Phil Manheim:
> I did add those two lines as well.  Is that all that is necessary to
> add new roles?  Do I need to define those roles or their rights
> somewhere?

No, if you have defined in the server.xml that the tomcat-users.xml will
be used for user authentication then this is all you have to change.

Did you restart the server after having changed the tomcat-users.xml?
This is necessary to activate changes to this file.

Best wishes

Lutz

Re: manager/admin login problem

howarddy3
I think you want to look for the CAtalina Realms that are commented out in the web.xml or server.xml files.    This is where you set up security constraints.

I amd still trying to figure out how to extend the catalina login methods with a new method to set a DB flag....  I'll take suggestions.

From: "Phil Manheim" <[hidden email]>