Quantcast

max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Wolfgang Hummel
Hi,

we are running tomcat 6.20 on windows server 2003 64bit with java 1.6 (64bit) as a Windows service.
Everything works fine but I have to increase max. heap size to 4 GB (now 2 GB).
Machine has abaout 8 GB ram.
I know, how to do this - but I read, that it is not recommanded to configure more than 2 GB???
Is it true or is it depending on operating system?

Thanx and regards
Wolfgang

Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Peter Crowther
On any 64-bit OS, more than 2G is fine.  I know several places running
dedicated application servers with 16G RAM and 12G Java heaps.

Where have you read about the 2G recommendation?  I want to send them an
email... :-).

- Peter

On 4 February 2010 07:53, Wolfgang Hummel <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are running tomcat 6.20 on windows server 2003 64bit with java 1.6
> (64bit) as a Windows service.
> Everything works fine but I have to increase max. heap size to 4 GB (now 2
> GB).
> Machine has abaout 8 GB ram.
> I know, how to do this - but I read, that it is not recommanded to
> configure more than 2 GB???
> Is it true or is it depending on operating system?
>
> Thanx and regards
> Wolfgang

Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Domenico Marzilli
It's normal to be forced to double the heap on migrating from x32 to x64 hw.
Just think to the pointer addressing , that is based on a 64bit
representation of the memory address, rrather than a 32bit.

By the way, how did you install it as a service?
Did you find a Windows installer?
I tryed to execute the 'service.bat install' of Tomcat 6.0.24, but doesn't
run.
Please could you help me?
Thanks
Domenico

> On any 64-bit OS, more than 2G is fine.  I know several places running
> dedicated application servers with 16G RAM and 12G Java heaps.
>
> Where have you read about the 2G recommendation?  I want to send them an
> email... :-).
>
> - Peter
>
> On 4 February 2010 07:53, Wolfgang Hummel
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are running tomcat 6.20 on windows server 2003 64bit with java 1.6
>> (64bit) as a Windows service.
>> Everything works fine but I have to increase max. heap size to 4 GB (now
>> 2
>> GB).
>> Machine has abaout 8 GB ram.
>> I know, how to do this - but I read, that it is not recommanded to
>> configure more than 2 GB???
>> Is it true or is it depending on operating system?
>>
>> Thanx and regards
>> Wolfgang

RE: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Mehrotra, Anurag-2
I just finished installing 64 bit tomcat (6.0.24) on 64 bit JVM
(1.6.0_18)on 64 bit OS (WIN 2008). I was able to install it as a service
without any problems.

The trick is to start with the zip file distribution (64 bit). Do not
use the windows installer as it is for 32 bit.

Here are the steps:

1. download and install the 64 bit JVM from SUN.
2. download the 64 bit distribution of Tomcat (6.0.24) winzip file
(apache-tomcat-6.0.24-windows-x64.zip)
3. extract the zip file to a  desired location
4. Navigate to the tomcat/bin directory (refer to step 3 for location)
5. Create a new bat file setenv.bat (declare and set JAVA_HOME,
JRE_HOME, and CATALINA_HOME) as per your settings.
6. Edit startup.bat, shutdown.bat and to call setenv.bat first
7. zip file distribution of 64 bit tomcat comes with following 3 files
(service.bat, tomcat6.exe, and tomcat6w.exe)
8. Edit service.bat to make a call to setenv.bat - should be the first
command)
9. From a DOS/Command prompt execute service.bat with the keyword
install

service.bat install

That's all there is to install Tomcat as a service on 64 bit.

Thanks,
__________________________________
Anurag 301-296-3838
*** Please note my email address has changed. Please update it to
[hidden email]

The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.

> On any 64-bit OS, more than 2G is fine.  I know several places running
> dedicated application servers with 16G RAM and 12G Java heaps.
>
> Where have you read about the 2G recommendation?  I want to send them
an

> email... :-).
>
> - Peter
>
> On 4 February 2010 07:53, Wolfgang Hummel
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are running tomcat 6.20 on windows server 2003 64bit with java 1.6
>> (64bit) as a Windows service.
>> Everything works fine but I have to increase max. heap size to 4 GB
(now

>> 2
>> GB).
>> Machine has abaout 8 GB ram.
>> I know, how to do this - but I read, that it is not recommanded to
>> configure more than 2 GB???
>> Is it true or is it depending on operating system?
>>
>> Thanx and regards
>> Wolfgang

Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

markt
On 04/02/2010 13:11, Mehrotra, Anurag wrote:
> I just finished installing 64 bit tomcat (6.0.24) on 64 bit JVM
> (1.6.0_18)on 64 bit OS (WIN 2008). I was able to install it as a service
> without any problems.
>
> The trick is to start with the zip file distribution (64 bit). Do not
> use the windows installer as it is for 32 bit.

Wrong. The Windows installer supports 32 and 64 bit installations.

AW: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Wolfgang Hummel
Hi Domenico,

if you wanna install tomcat 1.6 on a 64bit windows server with a 64 bit java you have to download an extra patch for tomcat6w.exe and tomcat6.exe from svn.
Afterwards you have to set JAVA_HOME to your JDK (JRE is not enough).

Regards

Wolfgang Hummel

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

> On any 64-bit OS, more than 2G is fine.  I know several places running
> dedicated application servers with 16G RAM and 12G Java heaps.
>
> Where have you read about the 2G recommendation?  I want to send them an
> email... :-).
>
> - Peter
>
> On 4 February 2010 07:53, Wolfgang Hummel
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are running tomcat 6.20 on windows server 2003 64bit with java 1.6
>> (64bit) as a Windows service.
>> Everything works fine but I have to increase max. heap size to 4 GB (now
>> 2
>> GB).
>> Machine has abaout 8 GB ram.
>> I know, how to do this - but I read, that it is not recommanded to
>> configure more than 2 GB???
>> Is it true or is it depending on operating system?
>>
>> Thanx and regards
>> Wolfgang

RE: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Wolfgang Hummel [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: AW: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit
>
> if you wanna install tomcat 1.6 on a 64bit windows server with a 64 bit
> java you have to download an extra patch for tomcat6w.exe and
> tomcat6.exe from svn.

Not true - the appropriate versions are now included in the corresponding 6.0.24 download.

> Afterwards you have to set JAVA_HOME to your JDK (JRE is not enough).

Also not true - a JRE works fine with both 32- and 64-bit.  The service installer ignores JRE_HOME and will use the default JVM if the JAVA_HOME variable is not set.

 - Chuck

AW: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Wolfgang Hummel
Hi Chuck,

great - I work with tomcat 6.20 and there I need these patches.

I think I change to the current version :-)

Thanks a lot!

Bye
Wolfgang

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> if you wanna install tomcat 1.6 on a 64bit windows server with a 64 bit
> java you have to download an extra patch for tomcat6w.exe and
> tomcat6.exe from svn.

Not true - the appropriate versions are now included in the corresponding 6.0.24 download.

> Afterwards you have to set JAVA_HOME to your JDK (JRE is not enough).

Also not true - a JRE works fine with both 32- and 64-bit.  The service installer ignores JRE_HOME and will use the default JVM if the JAVA_HOME variable is not set.

 - Chuck

Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Domenico Marzilli
Really!
I tried to run it and now all works fine.
Tnx

> On 04/02/2010 13:11, Mehrotra, Anurag wrote:
>> I just finished installing 64 bit tomcat (6.0.24) on 64 bit JVM
>> (1.6.0_18)on 64 bit OS (WIN 2008). I was able to install it as a service
>> without any problems.
>>
>> The trick is to start with the zip file distribution (64 bit). Do not
>> use the windows installer as it is for 32 bit.
>
> Wrong. The Windows installer supports 32 and 64 bit installations.

Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Domenico Marzilli
Yes, Chris,
it depends on the type of data.
For example:
1) the elements of an array are addressed with 64 bit pointers;
2) on a x32 a long (32bit) is as large as a x64;
and so on....
By the way, what options for the JVM are you speaking about?
Domenico

RE: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Domenico Marzilli [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit
>
> By the way, what options for the JVM are you speaking about?

-XX:+UseCompressedOops

 - Chuck

Re: max heap size on Windows server 64 bit