Quantcast

mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

Henrique Ordine
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to deploy my Maven Web App on my local Tomcat using the
tomcat:deploy maven plugin, but the Manager application fails with a
response code 401.

I have Tomcat 6 installed on Mac OS Leopard, with Java 1.5. I manage to
access my Tomcat/manager app with the user "hordine", that I configured and
deploy

I've configured my tomcat-users.xml, settings.xml, and POM files, like this:

I've added this user to my tomcat-users.xml:
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="manager-script"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="maventomcat" password="maventomcat" roles="manager"/>
  <user username="hordine" password="hordine" roles="manager,
manager-script"/>

I've added this server to my settings.xml:
<servers>
    <server>
        <id>hordineLocalTomcat</id>
        <username>hordine</username>
        <password>hordine</password>
    </server>
</servers>

And I've configured my POM like this:

<build>

<finalName>hTask-web</finalName>

 <pluginManagement>

 <plugins>

  <plugin>

         <groupId>org.apache.tomcat.maven</groupId>

           <artifactId>tomcat-maven-plugin</artifactId>

           <version>1.1</version>

           <configuration>

   <url>http://localhost:8080/manager</url>

   <server>hordineLocalTomcat</server>

   <path>/hTask-web</path>

  </configuration>

  </plugin>

 </plugins>

 </pluginManagement>

</build>

I'd appreciate any help.

This is the entire error's stack trace:

Embedded error: Server returned HTTP response code: 401 for URL:
http://localhost:8080/manager/deploy?path=%2FhTask-web&war=
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Cannot invoke
Tomcat manager
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:703)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:553)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:523)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:371)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:332)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:181)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:356)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:137)
at org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:41)
at
at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Cannot invoke
Tomcat manager
at
org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractCatalinaMojo.execute(AbstractCatalinaMojo.java:149)
at
org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractWarCatalinaMojo.execute(AbstractWarCatalinaMojo.java:70)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:483)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:678)
... 17 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 401 for
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1196)
at org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.invoke(TomcatManager.java:604)
at org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.deployImpl(TomcatManager.java:662)
at org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.deploy(TomcatManager.java:295)
at
org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployWarMojo.deployWar(AbstractDeployWarMojo.java:85)
at
org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployMojo.invokeManager(AbstractDeployMojo.java:85)
at
org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractCatalinaMojo.execute(AbstractCatalinaMojo.java:141)
... 20 more

--
Henrique Ordine

http://hordine.wordpress.com/

Re: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

olamy
Hello,

That's something which has been fixed in trunk (I will probably
release a 2.0 next week).

2012/4/27 Henrique Ordine <[hidden email]>:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm trying to deploy my Maven Web App on my local Tomcat using the
> tomcat:deploy maven plugin, but the Manager application fails with a
> response code 401.
>
> I have Tomcat 6 installed on Mac OS Leopard, with Java 1.5. I manage to
> access my Tomcat/manager app with the user "hordine", that I configured and
> deploy
>
> I've configured my tomcat-users.xml, settings.xml, and POM files, like this:
>
> I've added this user to my tomcat-users.xml:
>  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
>  <role rolename="manager"/>
>  <role rolename="manager-script"/>
>  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
>  <user username="maventomcat" password="maventomcat" roles="manager"/>
>  <user username="hordine" password="hordine" roles="manager,
> manager-script"/>
>

> I've added this server to my settings.xml:
> <servers>
>    <server>
>        <id>hordineLocalTomcat</id>
>        <username>hordine</username>
>        <password>hordine</password>
>    </server>
> </servers>
>
> And I've configured my POM like this:
>
> <build>
>
> <finalName>hTask-web</finalName>
>
>  <pluginManagement>
>
>  <plugins>
>
>  <plugin>
>
>         <groupId>org.apache.tomcat.maven</groupId>
>
>           <artifactId>tomcat-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>
>           <version>1.1</version>

Sure of that ????

But to test if your issue is fixed in trunk try <version>2.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

see mojo declaration and repositories here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin-2.0-SNAPSHOT/snapshot-test.html

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

Henrique Ordine
Thanks for your reply.

I made the changes that you suggested but tomcat:deploy still fails with the same error.

tomcat:run works, but it was already working before.

My POM file is attached, if you could have a look at it, it would be great. It's a small POM, I've only just started my App.

Thanks in advance,

pom.xml (2K) Download Attachment

Re: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

olamy
Add
  <pluginRepositories>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>apache.snapshots</id>
      <name>Apache Snapshots</name>
      <url>http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </snapshots>
    </pluginRepository>
  </pluginRepositories>

Note now you must use tomcat6:run or tomcat7:run (depending tomcat
version you want to use).

I'd like to know the command line you are using ? It must be
tomcat6:deploy or tomcat7:deploy

> [...]

>> > org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployWarMojo.deployWar(AbstractDeployWarMojo.java:85)
>> > at
>> >
>> > org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployMojo.invokeManager(AbstractDeployMojo.java:85)
>> > at
>> >
>> > org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractCatalinaMojo.execute(AbstractCatalinaMojo.java:141)
>> > ... 20 more
>> >

>> > --
>> > Henrique Ordine
>> >
>> > http://hordine.wordpress.com/
>>

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

> Henrique Ordine
>
> http://hordine.wordpress.com/

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

Thanks again for your help.

I added <pluginRepositories> to my POM, but if I use tomcat6:deploy or
tomcat6:run, Maven says:

The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-tomcat6-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found

I'm using Maven, 2.2.0 by the way.

http://hordine.wordpress.com/

Re: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

olamy
Have a look here http://tomcat.apache.org/maven-plugin-2.0-SNAPSHOT/index.html

there is a section regarding content to add in ~/.m2/settings.xml

or add the plugin declaration in the pom section build>plugins>plugin
(rather than pluginManagement)

HTH
--

2012/4/28 Henrique Ordine <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.invoke(TomcatManager.java:604)
>> >> >
>> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.deployImpl(TomcatManager.java:662)
>> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.deploy(TomcatManager.java:295)
>> >> >

>> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployWarMojo.deployWar(AbstractDeployWarMojo.java:85)
>> >> >

>> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployMojo.invokeManager(AbstractDeployMojo.java:85)
>> >> >

>> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractCatalinaMojo.execute(AbstractCatalinaMojo.java:141)

>> > --
>> > Henrique Ordine
>> >
>> > http://hordine.wordpress.com/

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Talend: http://coders.talend.com
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

> Henrique Ordine
>
> http://hordine.wordpress.com/

Re: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

Awesome! I added the pluginGroup and it worked now.

Thank you!

2012/4/28 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> >> >> >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:483)
> >> >> >

> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:678)
> >> 401
> >> >> >

> sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1196)
> >> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.invoke(TomcatManager.java:604)
> >> >> >

> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.deployImpl(TomcatManager.java:662)
> >> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.deploy(TomcatManager.java:295)
> >> >> >

> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployWarMojo.deployWar(AbstractDeployWarMojo.java:85)
> >> >> >

> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployMojo.invokeManager(AbstractDeployMojo.java:85)
> >> >> >

> org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractCatalinaMojo.execute(AbstractCatalinaMojo.java:141)

Henrique Ordine

http://hordine.wordpress.com/

RE: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

Martin Gainty

redirecting to maven users ..as this is a maven issue

Thanks,
Martin

> [...]
> > >> >> >

> > org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:483)
> > >> >> >

> > org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:678)
> > >> >> >

> > sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1196)
> > >> >> >

> > org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.TomcatManager.deployImpl(TomcatManager.java:662)
> > >> >> >

> > org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployWarMojo.deployWar(AbstractDeployWarMojo.java:85)
> > >> >> >

> > org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractDeployMojo.invokeManager(AbstractDeployMojo.java:85)
> > >> >> >

> > org.codehaus.mojo.tomcat.AbstractCatalinaMojo.execute(AbstractCatalinaMojo.java:141)

> > > --
> > > Henrique Ordine
> > >
> > > http://hordine.wordpress.com/

> Henrique Ordine
>
> http://hordine.wordpress.com/

Re: mvn tomcat:deploy fails with HTTP response 401

Hi,
That's not an issue.
See documentation here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-plugin-prefix-mapping.html

Pid

On 30/04/2012 11:26, Martin Gainty wrote:

> redirecting to maven users ..as this is a maven issue

Martin, FYI the Tomcat Maven Plugin community actually lives here.

--

[key:62590808]